2014/2015 Player movement rumours

Gazza272

Re: 2014/2015 Rumour Thread of doom!

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Belfast will probably get a coach who uses European players following in the footsteps of the succesful trail blazing Devils managment

What is wrong with signing european players? It seems like a really weird stick to beat the club with.

on one hand people are saying the club should be run better, then on the other it's all doom and gloom because the players are cheaper. Well which do you want?

On the flip side of the coin I notice Kosowski is never on the brunt of the ire of people against signing players from Europe. Probably because he was decent yeah? Well with a summer of background work you find skating versions of Kosowski's.

Personally I don't care where a player comes from as long as he puts the effort in. I wonder why you do care where they are from?

jimmy snels

Gazza272 said:
jodysstillagirlsname said:
Belfast will probably get a coach who uses European players following in the footsteps of the succesful trail blazing Devils managment

What is wrong with signing european players? It seems like a really weird stick to beat the club with.

on one hand people are saying the club should be run better, then on the other it's all doom and gloom because the players are cheaper. Well which do you want?

On the flip side of the coin I notice Kosowski is never on the brunt of the ire of people against signing players from Europe. Probably because he was decent yeah? Well with a summer of background work you find skating versions of Kosowski's.

Personally I don't care where a player comes from as long as he puts the effort in. I wonder why you do care where they are from?
Completely agree. But it doesn't suit his agenda.

I would like to see some high quality euros with some hard hitting north Americans. I would think the money saved in flights and visas would be quite significant so would allow us to sign a higher quality of player.

I also notice no one has mentioned that we are now sponsored by john lewis? Surely a huge company like that behind us should be a great thing?

Sheincar

I personally couldn't care less where players come from. However I don't want players who haven't played for months/years, who come in injured, who aren't prepared to give their all & not prepared to finish hits. For some reason I also expect them to be able to skate, pass, defend & score goals!

Gazza272 said:

I don't believe its a matter of where they come from, but as Sheincar said, if we sign an injured defenceman, a semi-retired schoolteacher then the club are simply not sending a message to the supporters that they are attempting to put together a competitive side. Which after the fiasco of this year, they really need to do.

Kosowksi was very average for me and in terms of quality he probably matched up to Whitley who still backstopped us to a POFW.

Svete was probably the best of the Europeans we signed (Excluding the gem that is Kurka) but still very much the signing I'd expect the Caps to sign.

I don't have an agenda. G has gone and we have to move away from that, but it's important that we don't just bury the skeleton in the closet and that we learn from the fiasco that was his dismissal and the treatment of the players, fans and sponsors throughout the year. #DevilsOutside was meant to send a message of the dissatisfaction amongst current and former ST Holders, sponsors, former employees (On and Off Ice).

John Lewis is a great addition to the corporate family and Francine should be praised immensely for it. The club must also not forget that the casual fans who pay for their tickets are just as important as the John Lewis's, BT's and Coca Cola's of this world, which it seemed to forget during the Hodgkinson era. It got too big for its boots which in any business, not just a minority sport is no way to make friends or create a stable base.

"Moving Forward" is pointless if it's not in the correct direction. I'm happy to sit in 5th place and watch entertaining hockey if that's the price I'm paying for it. But to pay higher prices than the League Champions to watch a few former school teachers battle it out for a play-off spot?

Ocko

Completely agree with Sean and Sheincar. Our Euros were completely average at best, Kurka the exception. I don't believe for one second we recruited players from the continent to improve the team, more to reduce cost. I really think it is a huge myth these days that European players are great value for money. Years ago they were but now with the value of the Euro vs GBP and the fact players move around a great deal worldwide it makes it much more of an open market. The most underpaid players are those in leagues such as the CHL etc. those guys are on much lower than the majority of European leagues.

Rama, Svete, Joonas, Gipters were all cheap because they were from far lower quality European leagues and it showed. Svete probably was the best but can anyone pinpoint what he was actually good at? Alright at best defensively, alright at best in offense.

I cannot imagine Whis wanting any of them back.

Kosowski was ok, great one minute average the next, although in his defence he had hardly played this year and did seem to improve. But again would you choose to have him in your team? He certainly isn't on par with Lyle, Aubry, Osaer.

Gazza you seem obsessed that the club must sign European players and that all fans are blindly against signing them. I don't think that is the case, when posters say they don't want crappy Euros they are on about the ones we foolishly signed, not every European player out there. Signing top level euros would be great for certain roles would be great, signing them from part time 4th division leagues again would certainly not be. To back that up; one has criticised Kurka's game.

KaneDevils

Chris said:
Anything to add to the actual debate, or are you merely going to criticise someone's posting style (again)?
What Paul said...

You haven't bothered to add anything to the forum with your post, so why make it at all? I'd say take it to pm, but that's not going to work just at the moment...

At least try and add something to the thread though, please...
Are you talking to me? What has Jodystillsagirlsname added to the thread by his comment? Or is he allowed? And I'd appreciate it if the insulting PM's stopped also Jody. Foul and abusive language and name calling isn't allowed is it?

Ocko said:
Kosowski was ok, great one minute average the next, although in his defence he had hardly played this year and did seem to improve. But again would you choose to have him in your team? He certainly isn't on par with Lyle, Aubry, Osaer.

Gazza you seem obsessed that the club must sign European players and that all fans are blindly against signing them.
Certainly agree with the top half of your post, I wouldn't be disappointed if he signed, but I think we'd put a bit more cash on for a marginally better prospect. Your goalie is your most vital player after all, look what consequences we faced after the injury to Lacosta.

I will defend Gazza on the second half however. He doesn't seem to be for all Europeans, but is opposed to the idea of those being anti-european, of which I can say I am the same.

Nothing wrong with Nationality if they are signed for the right reason. Not because they are cheap.

Gazza272

Ocko said:
Gazza you seem obsessed that the club must sign European players and that all fans are blindly against signing them. I don't think that is the case, when posters say they don't want crappy Euros they are on about the ones we foolishly signed, not every European player out there. Signing top level euros would be great for certain roles would be great, signing them from part time 4th division leagues again would certainly not be. To back that up; one has criticised Kurka's game.

The only times I have mentioned it have been in reply to other people bringing it up. I guess my point is that I think it's telling people don't just judge them as 'players' the Euro part is always brought up as a negative connotation which I find a bit rude and disrespectful to the players to be honest.

My personal opinion of the guys we did sign were as follows:

Svete - Solid and dependable in the Mike Hartwick role of player. I think he would do a serviceable job as a 4th D man. He also played through the pain barrier for us, especially in Scotland.

Gipters - I really liked Gipters, I thought his first pass out of the zone was good and he looked positionally sound. I think that the mild form of the Virus Kurka had really stunted his growth on the team. A point that has been overlooked a lot this year.

Rama - Poor poor player. I never understood why if we were going to need that extra forward we didn't just keep Cesky around who was on the pace.

Limataiinen - Rotten luck for this guy I think, seems he picked up a knock in his very last game for his old club which was aggrivated by him blocking a wicked Jeff Legue slapshot in Sheffield. I'll always feel sorry for a guy who got taking out putting his body on the line for us, plenty of the imports we have had in the past wouldn't have attempted to block that shot.

I just want us to judge guys as a players and not the passport in which they carry. If we don't sign any guys from europe next season it won't bother me in the slightest. But I would welcome them to the club the same as any other player.

KaneDevils

Paul Sullivan said:
KaneDevils said:
Another pointless, ridiculously laborious post from yours truly.
Your almost as predictable as the Devils PP.

:DWD
As 'yours truly' is usually used to mean as being from the author of the one using the term then I 100% agree with your post, apart from the 'laborious' part. I mean c'mon, you only used 15 words. Though to be fair, in terms of your contributions to threads, that's approaching a PB.

Anything to add to the actual debate, or are you merely going to criticise someone's posting style (again)?
Ah, your 2 pennies worth. (Again) What has Jody added to the thread with his comment and also the vile PM I have received from him and subsequently reported. And how is his comment a 'style'?

Matt Towe to Coventry.

[/quote]........................ I also notice no one has mentioned that we are now sponsored by john lewis? Surely a huge company like that behind us should be a great thing?[/quote]

Not sponsored by, have corporate season tickets and join the corporate family of networking. Unless they are bringing £'s sponsorship will again increase the pot

Almost scared to post on here now ;)

As for the euro argument typically they dont do well... there are always exceptions... kurka, kalus, sirianni, kashersky (or something like that). All good, all can score, kalus can hit like a train. But the other side of the euro coin are gipters, and the caps, think they got euros like we did. And they somehow did worse than us.

There are also many MANY yanks, canadians who have struggled in this league.

point is, judge not on a mans nationality, judge on points, contribution etc etc

Mooney#16

UK fans are indoctrinated in North American hockey and the style of it. The subtle effectiveness of European style hockey is often missed or over looked in favour of a hard hitting game. However criticising the Europeans is ridiculous. They did the job they were employed for. As I remember it was all North Americans and Brits who took all the bans this year and at some dumb times of year. How much did that contribute to losses also. I don't question the commitment of last years team but that was a team full of excuses and individuals. They didn't get the job done. The whole team takes the hit on that not just a section there in. The team was cack from the beginning and no amount of tinkering and personnel changes stopped the rot. Moving on as fans means not living in the past. The team needs the best players for each role in the budget. Nationality has no bearing on the quality of a player. His skill, desire and intelligence will control that.

KaneDevils

Just because a player doesn't play well for us doesn't make him a bad player. We as a club could scout an individual out for months and see obvious talent but he could then come across and not perform due to many reasons.
It happens in football a lot. Anyone remember Fernando Morientes? A legend in Spain, came to Liverpool and couldn't hit a garage door with a piano. He didn't turn from great to crap in a matter of weeks. It happens.

Posters often say on here if you don't like a thread don't read it. So on that concept, if your not happy with the club, the owner, the nationality of player, then stop going. :)

Posters often say on here if you don't like a thread don't read it. So on that concept, if your not happy with the club, the owner, the nationality of player, then stop going. :)[/quote]

Couldn't agree more!

KaneDevils said:
Posters often say on here if you don't like a thread don't read it. So on that concept, if your not happy with the club, the owner, the nationality of player, then stop going. :)
Some of us have already done so. Doesn't mean we don't still care for the club and want the best for it and its stakeholders, but thanks for the advice.

Anyway, back to rumours, Whis to Giants, Clouts to Devils to keep costs down after Kurkas giant contract and Cardiff Ice Arena Limited to be phoenixed.

Temme

Don't really want to post on here due to how some members choose to interact with others, but can't resist so here goes:

Rumours from elsewhere on the tinterwebs read as follows: (NOT MY RUMOURS)

Fulton is out of Fife- going to 'the highest bidder' in the Elite league, believed to be Belfast, who are losing Szwez, Higgins, Elfring and Whitecotton - going back to germany with his wife.

Kalus back with Nottingham

Stevie Lee to North America seems to be a popular one. Give him 3 weeks and he'll do a Rob Farmer and be straight home :lol:

Salters is off back home.

Peacock to Panthers

Max Lacroix (steelers) to Rouen (link: http://www.hockeyhebdo.com/news-lm---gi ... 16166.html)

Ben Olson leaves the blaze - confirmed on his twitter apparently?

Finny

I must be one of the only people on here who didn't rate Svete. Yes it was cool that his name is similar to Steve, but as a defenceman I thought he was poor. Slow, poor passing and regularly out of position. Wouldn't want him back sorry.

Gipters however started brilliantly and I thought Brent had found a gem. But then for some reason he lost his way in the final month or so and was often the one dropped.

Rama was way out of his depth and I think I only saw Joonas ice one shift. Kosowski looked great at times but very shakey in other games. I wouldn't be upset to see him return but it wouldn't be an exciting signing either.

Rama is clearly a quality player who needs a line built around him and no more badly thought-out PRs on how much money he is earning.

Ocko

Finny said:
Rama is clearly a quality player who needs a line built around him and no more badly thought-out PRs on how much money he is earning.
:shock: the only thing Rama needs around him are a few Penguins to help him stand longer than half a shift.

I know you mean Kurka :lol:

Agree on all your other points. Svete was average on his best days, I still don't know what he was good at. Gipters was good going forward and moving the puck but couldn't play defense at all. Positionally in his own half of the ice he was all over the place and weak as a kitten.

ASHIPP

The real gem in the making was Liimatainen.....when fit. For the few games he played he looked cool comfortable and natural on the puck with some simple yet smart plays. Great first pass. So unlucky with his aggravated injury. I would like to see a fully fit Joonas next season.