Thoughts on Bordy so far

Electro

10 people voted, 7 for Bordy.

For me Klotz landed the only punch, the rest was obvious incoming punching, opponent ducks forward as this increases distance, less chance of the fist hitting the head. That's just showboating, looks good for the crowd.

If your scoring on quality, Klotz clear winner, l like Bordy, but something isn't right, I'm not sure how comfortable he is with the change in his role, he hasn't really proved his fighting skills in the UK, I'm not sure how long that reputation is going to go untested.

It didn't seem to have an effect on Sheffield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KaneDevils

Yes klotz landed one punch, albeit a beauty. I thought bordy looked unconvincing and didn't really land anything. I remember thinking he looked a little embarrassed.

Wannabe2

Give me a break, Bordy had a broken nose, and very recent it was, he takes a good punch from a heavyweight right on the snout, God that must hurt big time, however tough you may be, it rocks you to your very soul. He then some how shrugs it off but it is hurting like a red hot poker up your whatever. He then digs in Deep very deep, and takes the fight to the opponent, win, lose, draw, who gives a rats arse he shows what he is made of, and we love it.

voth26

I still can't get excited by this. I don't see the sense in him sitting on his ass in the box and us killing penalties. So what if he beats the hell out of Fitzy (he might lose as well you know) that's not going to stop Fitzy or any other enforcer doing what they do. Nobody is scared of any enforcer. It's what they do. They fight each other. When they are asked the question they'll go toe to toe with anyone.
Bordy can keep doing what he's doing for me. The opposition players will get a chance to relax when Bordy is off the ice in the box as they don't have to worry about being smashed or a massive stick coming their way with a poke check.
He was signed as an enforcer. Big difference to being signed to beat the crap out of everyone. He's doing a good job for me.
Take Vother. No one was scared of Vother fighting as he wasn't the best fighter by his own admission. People hated him on the ice throwing his body around. A pumped up Vother like a mental Craighead (i only saw that once) is frightening.
Keep it up Bordy.

100% agree with your post, my thoughts exactly. You only have to watch the games or highlights to see how often the puck is coughed up by players instead of getting checked by Bordy. It's no coincidence Bordy was enforcer of the month without fighting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voth26

10 people voted, 7 for Bordy.

For me Klotz landed the only punch, the rest was obvious incoming punching, opponent ducks forward as this increases distance, less chance of the fist hitting the head. That's just showboating, looks good for the crowd.

If your scoring on quality, Klotz clear winner, l like Bordy, but something isn't right, I'm not sure how comfortable he is with the change in his role, he hasn't really proved his fighting skills in the UK, I'm not sure how long that reputation is going to go untested.

It didn't seem to have an effect on Sheffield.

What's is your obsession with Bordy fighting?? As I've posted previously there are basically 4 top tough guys in the league Bordy, Mcgratton Rosehill and Fitzy. Now given as we don't only play these teams in a season who else is going to fight Bordy or any of the others for that matter?. As over seas the role of the enforcer has changed, now it's not just about who can punch the crap out of another enforcer these guys have to have more to their game and clearly Bordy does with the hits and forecheck, plus he plays on a pk line which the other tough guys don't so in that respect Bordy is an all-round player and more important on the ice .I respect your opinion but as you have said yourself you don't watch much hockey

Electro

What's is your obsession with Bordy fighting?? As I've posted previously there are basically 4 top tough guys in the league Bordy, Mcgratton Rosehill and Fitzy. Now given as we don't only play these teams in a season who else is going to fight Bordy or any of the others for that matter?. As over seas the role of the enforcer has changed, now it's not just about who can punch the crap out of another enforcer these guys have to have more to their game and clearly Bordy does with the hits and forecheck, plus he plays on a pk line which the other tough guys don't so in that respect Bordy is an all-round player and more important on the ice .I respect your opinion but as you have said yourself you don't watch much hockey
Not obsessed, observing and discussing on a Bordy thread.

My comment was in the context of not watching the Devils weekly to be able to place him on a line and l don't have much interest in guessing who plays with whom on a line.

I do watch hockey though. Both in the U.K. Europe and North America and have been since the late 70's thanks to an uncle who played.

voth26

Not obsessed, observing and discussing on a Bordy thread.

My comment was in the context of not watching the Devils weekly to be able to place him on a line and l don't have much interest in guessing who plays with whom on a line.

I do watch hockey though. Both in the U.K. Europe and North America and have been since the late 70's thanks to an uncle who played.

oh ok Just curious that's all, I personally don't see what Bordys doing wrong, apart from not fighting which if I'm honest apart from one game possibly against the steelers, he hasnt really needed to. I have no doubts though that he will definitely go if he needs to, it's always good to discuss topics properly and respectively

Electro

oh ok Just curious that's all, I personally don't see what Bordys doing wrong, apart from not fighting which if I'm honest apart from one game possibly against the steelers, he hasnt really needed to. I have no doubts though that he will definitely go if he needs to, it's always good to discuss topics properly and respectively
I'm repeatedly stating I'm not a fan of fighting, so for me Bordy isn't doing anything wrong. It's the clubs management of him that is wrong.

But from another perspective the Sheffield game gave an insight into Bordy's role and how the man himself feels about it. Whilst I'm not a fan of fighting, Bordy is, he's made a very good career in hockey by fighting, as he admitted, he wasn't good enough for the NHL without fighting. So to bring a career fighter across to Europe and then in a game that needed a reaction he was subdued and made a public show of defiance, not good, he should have been allowed to react for him as the player to fulfill his role and to make a clear statement to Sheffield.

This weekend we will see how Sheffield and Nottingham deal with a team that does not allow there enforcer to do the role he excels at.

Last edited:

pjj365

I'm repeatedly stating I'm not a fan of fighting, so for me Bordy isn't doing anything wrong. It's the clubs management of him that is wrong.

But from another perspective the Sheffield game gave an insight into Bordy's role and how the man himself feels about it. Whilst I'm not a fan of fighting, Bordy is, he's made a very good career in hockey by fighting, as he admitted, he wasn't good enough for the NHL without fighting. So to bring a career fighter across to Europe and then in a game that needed a reaction he was subdued and made a public show of defiance, not good, he should have been allowed to react for him as the player to fulfill his role and to make a clear statement to Sheffield.

This weekend we will see how Sheffield and Nottingham deal with a team that does not allow there enforcer to do the role he excels at.

Think you need to listen to his interview immediatley post signing and see his twiitter comment about more ways to win games than just fighting before making this comment

Also over recent years a number of enforcers - THN among other publications have carried interviews - have stated that they have come over here to play hockey rather than just fight - back to their routes I guess

From my perspective he is skating (as most NHL enforcers can do) and frightening opponents - job done

Gazza272

But he did his job. he spoke to Fitzgerald and that was the end of his antics. In fact the next influential thing Fitzgerald did was give away a 2+2 penalty. why does he need to punch him in the face to enforce anymore? Fitzgerald knew he had run out of lives and couldn't cross that line again, and he didn't. How is that not using Bordy?

Also Bordeleau isn't a career fighter, he is a career enforcer. There is a massive difference between the two. Andrew Sharp is a career fighter.

But he did his job. he spoke to Fitzgerald and that was the end of his antics. In fact the next influential thing Fitzgerald did was give away a 2+2 penalty. why does he need to punch him in the face to enforce anymore? Fitzgerald knew he had run out of lives and couldn't cross that line again, and he didn't. How is that not using Bordy?

Also Bordeleau isn't a career fighter, he is a career enforcer. There is a massive difference between the two. Andrew Sharp is a career fighter.
Andrew Sharp is a career muppet, thug, brawler, cheapshotter but definitely not a fighter, Bordy once again against our closest rivals showed what he is capable of without resorting to cheap shotting or taking needless penalties. He is a clever enforcer that is why so many criticise his performance, they don't even notice him doing it

I was thinking about this just now, how do people view Bordeleau now we're a lot further down the line in the season? Obviously there were (and may still be) a few people on here who didn't think he was contributing enough in the physical side of the game, and perhaps didn't see his value. I'm curious to know what people think of him now.

Personally, I think he's done exactly what's required. Aside from one game against the Steelers where Fitzgerald was taking the piss and Bordy couldn't get to him, his presence alone has been - in my opinion - enough of a deterrent for our skill guys to go out and do what they do.

Added to that the fact that he's chipped in with a few goals and has repeatedly shown some really nice, classy touches, I think he's been good value for his money.