Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

Devil94

I'm not sure about this one.

I think I'm right in saying that this rumour has come from the less reliable rumour account? I think they might have just seen the link with Poprad and a few other Devils links and thrown it out there.

I'm also not sure about the signing itself. He's the exact same age as Bownsy. Would he come here and play 50%? Would we go for someone of his age when he won't be a superstar in the league? He would be solid, but when comparing stats with Bowns, Peters was 91% in Slovakia and Bownsy was 90.9%. in Graz Peters was 90.2 and Bowns 90.4. Those stats don't tell the full story but gives a decent indication.

I thought we would either go for a younger inexperienced goalie like Kozun or an absolute stud. This guy seems somewhere in the middle for me.

Finny

I'm not sure about this one.

I think I'm right in saying that this rumour has come from the less reliable rumour account? I think they might have just seen the link with Poprad and a few other Devils links and thrown it out there.

I'm also not sure about the signing itself. He's the exact same age as Bownsy. Would he come here and play 50%? Would we go for someone of his age when he won't be a superstar in the league? He would be solid, but when comparing stats with Bowns, Peters was 91% in Slovakia and Bownsy was 90.9%. in Graz Peters was 90.2 and Bowns 90.4. Those stats don't tell the full story but gives a decent indication.

I thought we would either go for a younger inexperienced goalie like Kozun or an absolute stud. This guy seems somewhere in the middle for me.
What makes you think this guy isn't a stud?
His stats from the AHL and ECHL are better than Carruth's and almost identical to Beskorowany.

Maybe his stats are similar to Bowns because (whisper it quietly) maybe Bowns isn't as past it as some would like to think?

Finny

Can't see him being a backup at all. His CV/experience suggests he would be looking for at least a tandem goalie partnership at a Club.....perhaps our Club have managed to persuade him to join on a University deal?
You must have missed me having my tongue firmly in my cheek! ;)

This guy would be a serious threat to Besko's claim as the best netminder in the league. He has a very similar resume to Besko and mostly better than Carruth.
If we did sign this guy it would be the best goalie tandem we've had since the ISL days.

august04 2.0

Seems a perfect addition to me. Our goaltending had to improve this year compared with last year, when it was just not good enough from both goaltenders over the course of the whole season. Hopefully, PR has chosen the best we can get with our budget and will let the two fight it out fairly. I think he has the strength of character to make his own decisions on who starts, regardless of reputation.

tim78

Like the lines but not 100 sure on the D.

Is that Tor immo.

If we're going on past EHC Freiburg players would have Scott Allen in a flash.

moggy#9

I'm expecting more newbies with at least 10 changes from last year. We finished 4th with an awful style of hockey. We need a clear out in my opinion - more new faces to the Devils please.
We're probably going to be constrained a bit, particularly on the Brits. Even with the returning players I would expect a very different style of play from a coach who basically has a clue.

lloyd_jeff

The only reason Ben is a GB netminder is he’s the best of a mediocre bunch. That is now starting to diminish with age, therefore he being placed as our No2, a very good No2, is a no brainer, assuming the actually club has ambitions to succeed next yr.
Theres 2 basics involved in a game, scoring & defending, if you do that better than the opposition you win, if not, you loose. Simples.

lloyd_jeff

We're probably going to be constrained a bit, particularly on the Brits. Even with the returning players I would expect a very different style of play from a coach who basically has a clue.
It‘ll be interesting to see how Euro heavy we’ve recruited, British players tend to favour that compared to North Americans coming into the league. My preference would be EIHL experienced imports from North America & European imports new to the EIHL. Too many mixed styles just means issues early doors and struggles throughout the season leading to poor performance, motivation and squabbling between divas.

Finny

It‘ll be interesting to see how Euro heavy we’ve recruited, British players tend to favour that compared to North Americans coming into the league. My preference would be EIHL experienced imports from North America & European imports new to the EIHL. Too many mixed styles just means issues early doors and struggles throughout the season leading to poor performance, motivation and squabbling between divas.
Havent you just massively contradicted yourself?

Finny

Bowns is going to be #2 next year. If we get a goalie of that quality.
If (and it’s a very big if) we have those two next season I’d imagine it’ll be nearly a 50/50 split with each netminder getting a game most weekends. Form and style against certain teams would also come into it.

I remember in the ISL days with Lyle and Herlofsky we had one netminder get a shutout on the Saturday and the other a shutout on the Sunday,

Gavevs88

If (and it’s a very big if) we have those two next season I’d imagine it’ll be nearly a 50/50 split with each netminder getting a game most weekends. Form and style against certain teams would also come into it.

I remember in the ISL days with Lyle and Herlofsky we had one netminder get a shutout on the Saturday and the other a shutout on the Sunday,
That rumour came from the account that's less reliable and doesn't usually get many right, I DM'd the other account that usually gets most of them right and he's heard nothing about that rumour at all.

JC23

That rumour came from the account that's less reliable and doesn't usually get many right, I DM'd the other account that usually gets most of them right and he's heard nothing about that rumour at all.
To add weight to this, Dease’s reply which was almost immediate suggests it’s not happening at all.

moggy#9

This would fit with my view of PR being very technocratic and having a game plan every night. A good example of this would be if a particular opponent was vulnerable to quick breaks, he might want to use a Nettie who handles the puck well.