Storm Vs Devils - League - 8th Jan 23 - 17:30 FO

kettdevil1

Really surprised by some negative comments about the game today. Completely accept people see games differently but I thought it was a cracker for two periods today. It's not for everyone I know but I always find the rink really friendly and thought today was a typical game there with things going on all over the place (like the hit on Cox….)

I suppose people look for different things from a game but for me four superbly taken goals, a virtuoso performance by Martin, a fight, numerous niggles, Fournier being Fournier and some decent company makes for a good evening ….. topped off by getting two points

Gavevs88

Cracking question..... could we have both?

Just had a look at Fournier's numbers and whilst we have to keep in mind that he is playing for a bang average side, his productivity has fallen off a cliff. From 24 goals with us to a projected 4 this year is some decline (5 last year). Having sad that he was always about more than goals and assists but given he was +52 in his best season, he is now down to +10 so the question is..... could he get back to where he was with us?

Crawford is well over a point a game and his projection is a crazy +59 for the season.... he is also 6 years younger than Gleason. On the downside he isn't as good a skater and isn't a player who breaks open a game but..... he has been our anchor all season so.....

I would like both please but if we get to choose one...... I would be tempted to go for Crawford
I'm a massive fan of Fournier, but yeah based on current performances and points totals I'd have to keep Crawford as well, but imagine both, now that would be glorious.

Mooney#16

It’s funny because the last pre Covid roster you had Gleason and Sean McMonagle as the offensive D and quarter backing PP men. Along with a steller supporting cast of Jardine, Morrison, Louis, Ritchie, Reddick and Batch. Now quite a few of those pieces are still on the table.

Could you imagine. Crawford, Thompson, Jardine, Ritchie, Fournier, Louis and Batch. Fully aware this involves starting year with spare imports. Crawford plays Fourns old role. Fourns plays McMonogles old role.

There is a genuine possibility you could have both.

fridaysfingers

I don’t think it was a boring game, just a boring 3rd period. Coming out at 4-1 you hope to see a couple more goals to seal the game off.
I can’t remember seeing a player so determined to get straight to the net as Stefan Fournier, and once he’s there he takes some shifting.
With regards to the Louis fight, I don’t see him dragging the guy off the bench. I think Simmonds?? Is going back to the bench and there is a linesman in between Louis getting to him so he gives him a couple of punches to the face against the boards, his helmet comes off and then Lou pulls him around/through the Lino.

Ocko

Another masterclass from Crawford.

His movement, puck retention and cycling for Joey Martin’s PPG was superb. Not necessarily obvious but the way he controlled the play is high end quality.

Imagine being a poster who slated him when he posts one of the highest points totals by a D-man in the club’s history come the end of the season. He’s currently on track points per game to end up with the second highest points total by a Devils D man since 1993/94 season. Outrageous he can get so many points and apparently ‘give the puck away’ all at the same time.

doron

crawford was on his game and played well, it was a boring game, to be honest. but you do get those games . no complaints.

E.D.S.

Another masterclass from Crawford.

His movement, puck retention and cycling for Joey Martin’s PPG was superb. Not necessarily obvious but the way he controlled the play is high end quality.

Imagine being a poster who slated him when he posts one of the highest points totals by a D-man in the club’s history come the end of the season. He’s currently on track points per game to end up with the second highest points total by a Devils D man since 1993/94 season. Outrageous he can get so many points and apparently ‘give the puck away’ all at the same time.
It’s ok. It’s just an opinion Ocko.
Personally I’d rather see those points spread across the forwards - Reid, Brittain and Crandall - and a more solid D performance but it’s a personal preference. I believe defence wins you the league.
No arguing with his points production. That’s never been an issue. The giveaways have been, for me. Some fans (it could be everyone and I’m the only one on my lonesome) are happy to put up with the giveaways and turnovers as a result of the points. Personally I’d like to see those points coming from some of the forwards. Those defensive concerns I have may erode as he matures so is worth investing in but I’m perfectly comfortable holding this view as I’m sure you are with yours but thank you for thinking of me. It’s ok. It’s a forum.
Imagine having the same view as everyone else. What a forum this would be.

kristian

Both Lou and Batch play much better when they have chip on they shoulder.
Both have played has we know they can in the last month.
Still think both carried injuries for a good few weeks.

Devils86

Both Lou and Batch play much better when they have chip on they shoulder.
Both have played has we know they can in the last month.
Still think both carried injuries for a good few weeks.
Also noted how when icing with 5 and the lines changed up a bit that Batch is having better games...

Crawford also seems to have reined in a bit of the hoof-it icing passes and has all round stepped up a bit - enjoying the responsibility of Jardine being out?

Last edited:

Rempel16

In regard to Crawford... He's the same type of player as Hotham / Register. He's high risk, high reward, and unfortunately these players turnover the puck on occasion.

I remember Hotham got slated a fair bit at times (madness but there you go) for turnovers, although I think Crawford gives the puck away far more. I put that down to A) adapting to the league and B) he's still young, so pretty raw.

And it's his age and being raw that infuriates me more in respect of his selfish penalties. His penalty count is too high and that's what he needs to reign in more than his high percentage plays... For me he's worth the risk though. I remember Joey Haddad's first season, lots of silly penalties. Season 2 he cut them out and was a far more effective player.

I'm hoping we get to see Crawford Season 2 as that could be special.

I don’t think it was a boring game, just a boring 3rd period. Coming out at 4-1 you hope to see a couple more goals to seal the game off.
I can’t remember seeing a player so determined to get straight to the net as Stefan Fournier, and once he’s there he takes some shifting.
With regards to the Louis fight, I don’t see him dragging the guy off the bench. I think Simmonds?? Is going back to the bench and there is a linesman in between Louis getting to him so he gives him a couple of punches to the face against the boards, his helmet comes off and then Lou pulls him around/through the Lino.
Any videos of the fight anywhere or do you see it on the webcast?

In regard to Crawford... He's the same type of player as Hotham / Register. He's high risk, high reward, and unfortunately these players turnover the puck on occasion.

I remember Hotham got slated a fair bit at times (madness but there you go) for turnovers, although I think Crawford gives the puck away far more. I put that down to A) adapting to the league and B) he's still young, so pretty raw.

And it's his age and being raw that infuriates me more in respect of his selfish penalties. His penalty count is too high and that's what he needs to reign in more than his high percentage plays... For me he's worth the risk though. I remember Joey Haddad's first season, lots of silly penalties. Season 2 he cut them out and was a far more effective player.

I'm hoping we get to see Crawford Season 2 as that could be special.
Ye, he has a huge upside. I honestly think the issue with our D is more combinations than anything else.

This isn’t the place for stats, but I think Crawford with Richie could be spectacular in the same way Fournier/Hotham were.

What I’m unsure of is how a Jardine/Thompson pairing would get on. But I am optimistic it could work.

Our remaining pairing of Louis/Batch have been playing better recently. There are some issues, but I would be very interested to see how those three pairings would work.