Devils v Steelers - 27/11 @ 18:00 - League - Chat/Updates

E.D.S.

"some woman ran around and said no goal!"
Isn't that woman the goal judge? I'm pretty certain it's her job to say whether the goal went in or not.
I wonder if he'll face disciplinary hearing over his views of the officiating. "Cardiff got a leg up and they don't need it at home."
"People don't like people who tell the truth and I'm telling the truth!!" It wasn't a goal though you idiot.

James

Administrator
Thing is the goal judge doesn't have the final say anyway. They can only advise the ref what they saw. The final call is up to the ref. You can't compare what happened in Edinburgh. Maybe the ref was sure in the call there and last night the ref was prepared to doubt his call.

Wannabe2

It wasn't fair that a woman who works in Toys r Us from across the road, on a 10 minute tea break popped into the rink as she has never seen it before,started running screaming to the ref, that wasn't a goal, I can't stay long as I am covering Valerie on the till and coming up to Christmas we get very busy, but that didn't go in. Think this might be one for DOPS, as this lady who didn't even have a ticket for the game yet calls a PERFECTLY GOOD GOAL OFF. Know wonder Paul was angry he has been after a job in Toys r Us for ages now, especially one on the till as he is much too good to stack shelves, the things some people will do to get a job in Cardiff, anyway 3,000 people will be sending in a reference for him, so everything ain't LOST YET Paul.

ASHIPP

Terrific result last night - possibly the hardest and most important 2 points this season so far. Well done Guys, amazing.

Skills-wise, very little to separate Devils and Steelers.......but to watch the discipline and focus of our Guys whilst Steelers lost control was very satisifying.
It's what won the game for the Devils last night. Absolutely no doubt that they were under orders to maintain discipline and focus. The multiple Desbiens penalty would have demonstrated the effect that poor discipline would have on a team anyway.

I don't buy any criticism of lack of aggression or retaliation in a tight game like this. No-one was injured, no-one was binned for any length of time. There is an appropriate time and place for action like that. I am more than happy to see Devils' players force errors and draw penalties on the opposition if it gives our Team the advantage. Certainly worked well for the Devils last night.;)

Devil_Abroad

Correct he did.

Just another note on Bordeleau he is currently leading the team in hits.
Think they did it in the car on the way home - though we still hear him moaning yet again they were right not to give an interview when he's that angry.

Love this team. All the goading that goes on and we're not biting. Other teams must be scratching their heads on how to play us lol. It's clear from Bordeleau's demeanour that he's enjoying his hockey; yes he called out Noble on Sat whilst both were on the ice at the same time - and when Noble declined he skated away - class. Yes he wanted to jump on the ice when Fitz was taking liberties and was rightly pulled back and he'll understand that even though frustrated at the end.

He likes the tough side of hockey but won't pick on skilled players so we don't have a goon. Does he get frustrated? Probably. But all players get frustrated about something or other - they're like us, human.

It's the locker room that counts. If the guys are getting on with no cliques and agendas then alls well; it means they're a team and they're happy. Long may it continue this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Nobody is asking Bordy to fight every game.

He has more to offer, but his actions clearly show a frustration, at what, l don't believe it's because he wants to constantly fight and get blown out of an important games.

I believe he's frustrated being on a line that prevents him from getting on the ice and in the heads of the people causing the damage, he may well have been able to draw a penalty on a player and possibly removed. Maybe Lord is not prepared to take the risk.

Which ultimately asks the question is someone of Bordy's skills financial worth having. Many here said yes because fighting brings people, but he's been disappointing so far. The owners voiced support for his skills, openly supporting and paying for that form of hockey, Todd has also commented, yet still nothing.

I have to say Bordy's role should be changed, moved up the lines.

Why?

We're top of the league by 11 pts. What's wrong?

The owners, including Todd, are making money. What's wrong?

Lord is the coach and he decides. What's wrong?

I've seen a couple of games where McGrattan has skated onto the ice and gone directly to the other team's enforcer and called him out to fight. Is that what you want Lord to do with Bordeleau?

If Bordeleau is unhappy then why doesn't he show it in practice and in games? I think you're looking for things that aren't there.

Devil94

It was Matt Rose the lino that went up to have a word with him and I could see him shaking his head as if to say no.

I must say, when I saw the replay on the screen I thought it hit the back post and came back out. But seeing replies and comments, even from Steelers fans saying it was the goal post and it never went in. I'll have another look tonight!

Devil_Abroad

It was Matt Rose the lino that went up to have a word with him and I could see him shaking his head as if to say no.

I must say, when I saw the replay on the screen I thought it hit the back post and came back out. But seeing replies and comments, even from Steelers fans saying it was the goal post and it never went in. I'll have another look tonight!
Well in slo-mo it looks like the post. To be fair all the commentators thought it was in. If Steelers fans were saying no then well done lino and goal judge - and ref for being prepared to listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The webcast replay clearly showed the "non goal" goal was a shot off the post so the correct call was made. This further illustrates the logical use of goal line cameras or video review in the future. It wasn't really a case of a goal being disallowed but rather a mistaken call being corrected.
I also thought that Desbiens might have gone all out to embellish the possible interference call on Ulmer and was really upset when it was unsuccessful.
While both teams could legitimately question some calls and some non calls last night, I honestly believe the Steelers got away with a lot more infractions in total.

BostonBart22

Heres what we've been waiting for in all its glory

https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldsteelers/27112016-213246a

Its better if you play this in the background too
brilliant...like the way he says his players need to control themselves, did anyone see thommo pick up all steelers hockey sticks at the end and launch them...priceless, DOPS i reckon health and safety rule 666 you must not throw sticks after losing a game.

Rob Batch

I can't wait for the moment in time that we have enough points to have the league title in the bag ! Then people like Fritz can expect their cum-uppance !!! Bordy will flatten him, Josh will flatten him, Louis will flatten him!!! Playing the long game serves our purpose right now, but our memory, hopefully, is long. Be patient everyone, their cards are marked !! This is my personal opinion, not 'insider info' !

Last edited:

Electro

If Bordeleau is unhappy then why doesn't he show it in practice and in games? I think you're looking for things that aren't there.

He did last night.

The whole point of signing Bordy, as has been stated many many many times on the thread when we signed him and here, his role and signing was to defend the team and take the necessary to either prevent or remove the kind of cheap shots that where made on Devils players last night.

Other teams have a green light now, touch a Devils player as much as you want, nobody is going to show up and call you out.

I don't see the point of having an enforcer that cannot be used in case he gets binned or placing him on a line that does not mark the guys doing the cheap shots, that's their role after all.

Bordy may as well have been more use getting binned, at least he'd have warmed up the showers for the team.

Last edited: