Blaze v Devils - 23/10 @ 17:15 - CCup - Chat/Updates

Devil_Abroad

Wait until you see Clemente, I realise the Storm nets are not held on very well but it is frustrating the number of times they come off even as a Storm fan...
I'm sure I heard pro players mention that the nets here aren't fixed to the ice as solid as elsewhere so they give more easily? They went on to say that we can't blame them for most of it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjj365

Have watched the highlights a few times, OK 4 times so far I'll admit it and somethings that have stood out to me that haven't really been mentioned yet.

Lovely pass from Hotham and fantastic finish from Haddad. Lovely goal.
Two good goals from Blaze that is difficult to be critical of from a Devils point of view.
Commentary pointing out on the game tying goal that Bordy was going crazy on the bench celebrating, then notice the first non 3-3 player to make it to the celebratory scrum after the game winner, yep Bordy again. This guy has played in "The Show", think it's safe to say that he's one of us now. Just cross referencing the video release today by Devils, he has again proven that the name on the front means more than the name on the back.

I know that we have had one slump already but I get a good feeling about this group.
Slightly off topic but watch Bordy encourage the rest of the team as they come onto the ice a IAW - what more can be said. He's one of us

BostonBart22

I'm sure I heard pro players mention that the nets here aren't fixed to the ice as solid as elsewhere so they give more easily? They went on to say that we can't blame them for most of it?

If that were the case, with Murdy moving so quickly from post to post, I'm sure he would have accidentally dislodged a net or two in his last four games - He hasn't. Yet Stewart does it at least once a game! Can't stand him :mad:

Rob Batch

I personally really enjoyed the game last night. I was watching the webcast as usual, and I found it entertaining, end to end stuff. Our guys were playing great hockey, it was amazing. Stewart kept them in the game, another netminder on another night would have been humiliated. Andrew Lord has changed our laclustre first periods into hardcore, hardhitting and business-like , just what was needed!! Saturday's home win spells danger to all the other teams, our weak link has been dealt with. This fantastic team is starting to perform to their true potential.

Devil_Abroad

https://twitter.com/markhitchy/status/790258227485245440

He spots Martin wide open, and kicks the net off on purpose IMO!!

Anyway, we won! So it doesn't matter
Yay! Still trying to figure out whether we beat Manchester by more than 2 goals we qualify?

Looking a that clip I'm willing to give hi the benefit of the doubt as it seems his right leg gives way first? A difficult one 50/50

Other netminders have complained about this, Chris Holt was particularly vocal about it. The nets at Altrincham have training pegs, the left hand image in this: http://www.gagoalpegs.com/images/slider/home/GAGOALPEGS_vs_home.jpg . The same in Coventry I think, and they basically come out very easily. They also don't require any drilling in to the ice to install, unlike proper pegs. It's something that really annoys me about the game in this country, this is supposed to be a professional league.

Wagstaff

I think the problem with our pegs has to do with the pad not being designed for hockey, the whole building was designed to be a public skate in winter and the ice removed for the rest of the year and have concerts etc, then the team moved from Solihull and the building was adapted to accommodate them. This is why we have fog at the start of the season as the plant isn't designed to cope with the weather conditions....... or so I'm told!

Wagstaff

Is it just me or was it a risky tactic for Lord to risk being ejected from the game, effectively you lost your coach and your most influential player in one move?

Finny

Is it just me or was it a risky tactic for Lord to risk binge ejected from the game, effectively you lost your coach and your most influential player in one move?
I doubt he planned it.

Looking back at the highlights, at the face off one of the Blaze players tries to take Lords skate away. Then Noble gives him a cross-check to the back and another to the front.
Both players then go for it but two Blaze players come in and hinder Lord. It's no wonder then that Lord loses once he is free and doesn't stop until the linesmen come in.

Wannabe2

Lord and Noble have history, in fact most of Cardiff have history with Noble, he is a loose cannon with a stick in his hand, Noble started it all of and when Lord see,s red he really see,s red. Love Noble for entertainment, but he is some fruit cake.

Devil_Abroad

I think the problem with our pegs has to do with the pad not being designed for hockey, the whole building was designed to be a public skate in winter and the ice removed for the rest of the year and have concerts etc, then the team moved from Solihull and the building was adapted to accommodate them. This is why we have fog at the start of the season as the plant isn't designed to cope with the weather conditions....... or so I'm told!
That an interesting piece, thanks

I remember the WNIR used to have fog issues too - for some reason I think once the plexi was fitted?

Wagstaff

But as your coach he seems to need to fill every role himself, against a better team who could rejig the lines change the plan etc while the man who should be doing this gets so emotionally charged (and I don't knock him for this) that he lets the red mist take over and ends up in the dressing room, or is it that the rest of the team are not taking these roles?

voth26

Is it just me or was it a risky tactic for Lord to risk being ejected from the game, effectively you lost your coach and your most influential player in one move?
Don't think that was Lords plan to be honest, I think he just took exception to noble pushing and punching him twice in the face!!. I cant see why Lord received 5+game for it to be honest and I would say the same if it was a Blaze player, they were both on their knees and still throwing then noble tries to turtle and Lord does throw another, You would think after that bettering noble would have learnt but he tries the same thing again but with Hotham, fortunately nothing came of it but as your commentator said noble is the most hated player in the league!!

Devil_Abroad

Lord and Noble have history, in fact most of Cardiff have history with Noble, he is a loose cannon with a stick in his hand, Noble started it all of and when Lord see,s red he really see,s red. Love Noble for entertainment, but he is some fruit cake.
He also likes to push his hands into player's faces occasionally. I think 90% of the time he's a good asset to have, a D man that reads the game well which makes up for his size, and he's always winding up opposition players. However, for some reason, he occasionally does stupid dangerous stuff. Can't see that here. Lord doesn't like his skate being taken from under him and reacts with a push on Noble rather than the culprit. Noble then takes exception, and again, and again, and things escalate. Even though they've fought before I don't think he realises just how dangerous an opponent Lord can be when the mist descends. Back across the pond he used to be a regular fighter I believe.

These are my personal views of course.

Electro

But as your coach he seems to need to fill every role himself, against a better team who could rejig the lines change the plan etc while the man who should be doing this gets so emotionally charged (and I don't knock him for this) that he lets the red mist take over and ends up in the dressing room, or is it that the rest of the team are not taking these roles?
Lord still has a lot to offer the club on the ice as a player with the luxury of being the boss, an unspoken issue within the dressing room. Not everybody enjoys the hands on type of boss who, I've only heard probably Chinese whispers, is a little too much of the hands on in the past.

He's well respected within the club and fan base, so little will change, if anything. In my opinion he'd better serve the club in one defined role, not both.

Bordy for me seemed to be at a loss in parts of the game, particularly noticeable on blaze 2nd goal. Whether that lack of bullying by Bordy is an injury issue, a need to play hockey issue or an instruction not too, but it appeared to me as though Lord took on a role that Bordy should have done. I agree though, slightly foolish for his responsibility, once Lord was off he could no longer coach the remaining game, having said that we did pull a blinder of a win.

Wagstaff

Lord still has a lot to offer the club on the ice as a player with the luxury of being the boss, an unspoken issue within the dressing room. Not everybody enjoys the hands on type of boss who, I've only heard probably Chinese whispers, is a little too much of the hands on in the past.

He's well respected within the club and fan base, so little will change, if anything. In my opinion he'd better serve the club in one defined role, not both.

Bordy for me seemed to be at a loss in parts of the game, particularly noticeable on blaze 2nd goal. Whether that lack of bullying by Bordy is an injury issue, a need to play hockey issue or an instruction not too, but it appeared to me as though Lord took on a role that Bordy should have done. I agree though, slightly foolish for his responsibility, once Lord was off he could no longer coach the remaining game, having said that we did pull a blinder of a win.

Ok I'm going to break all the mounds here and agree with an Electro post as the points he makes are pretty much in line with my thoughts, I wish we had a Lord on the ice in our team, Pietrus is of that mold but seems off the boil at the moment.
For me, dare I say it on the Devils forum, Noble is a great asset to us, my logic is that he is Stewart's third glove, Stewart has a blocker, catcher and Noble who gets him out of many embarrassing moments, he's the best goalie in the league for moments, but will go out of position so often and Noble is there to cover. He also gets under the skin and draws penalties which would be great if our powerplay wasn't so shocking, but unlike Darryl Lloyd he doesn't expect someone else to take the backlash, but I can easily understand why he is disliked by the opposition, but that's a big part of why he's there!