You decide

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
What player except Bissonnette,Weller, Davidson, would you have liked to have come to us earlier than he did, I am going for Kirk Dewaele

tim78

Just to correct y'all Doug Smail and Glenn Anderson.

Doug held an NHL record for the fast goal in a game, might even been the play offs.

Glenn Anderson just shot from anywhere and scored.

Ocko

Dennis Chasse and... I may get laughed off the inferno by some but Todd Gillingham. He was utter crap for us, but his reputation for his earlier career was brilliant. He was the complete player of the AHL/IHL, one of the most valuable players in those leagues at the time - he could fight, score and hit. He came to us overweight and completely past it a few years earlier would've been a different story.

What a debate. All different players so far. Mine would have to be Mike MacWilliam, the guy was a legend and unbeaten in any fight I ever watched for us but if he had come earlier he would have been our franchise player year in and year out and it would have been his jersey we would have proudly retired....

Leigh salters in full flow like he was at nottingham and braehead. he was genuinely unplayable on his day. i know this has no bearing but may explain early retirement but he is type 1 diabetic. i (i play university hockey) and my son are diabetic and he was a big influence on my wee boy in taking up hockey despite the health challenges he may face.

Ocko said:
Dennis Chasse and... I may get laughed off the inferno by some but Todd Gillingham. He was utter crap for us, but his reputation for his earlier career was brilliant. He was the complete player of the AHL/IHL, one of the most valuable players in those leagues at the time - he could fight, score and hit. He came to us overweight and completely past it a few years earlier would've been a different story.
Same could be said for Rod Hinks, was absolute garbage by the time he got to us

Great answers, except Im not sure you could say, earlier in their careers about some, Lindman, Travis, etc those were pretty young and early in careers that didn't exactly stall after they moved on,
Stringer and Elich are interesting choices too, those two had strange carrers IMO, considering the talent they had.
In terms of guys who who were sheer class, but just slightly past their best, 3 stand out for me Hodge, Chasse and Salters.