Why is Ben Simon a priority ahead of Gerad Adams?

Thread starter #1
Fair enough that Paul Ragan seems to have made it a priority to ensure he's signed Ben Simon for Sheffield Steelers as coach next season. But, why hasn't he done the same at Cardiff with Gerad Adams who's done a fantastic job to date?

Agree, there is an awful lot of sorting out to do in Sheffield and if you can get your coach signed early you have a good starting point. It raises confidence all around.

Also, as has been said you don't know what discussions have taken place between G and Paul.

TheStub

In the initial press, PR said that both coaches were a priority signing. Steelers are very good at releasing stories which give no information but get people talking.

The release said that PR wants the resign Simon, nor that he actually has. No more than he already said about G.

I just hope that some of the good lessons from Steelers are learned by the Devils.

Gazza272

TheStub said:
In the initial press, PR said that both coaches were a priority signing. Steelers are very good at releasing stories which give no information but get people talking.

The release said that PR wants the resign Simon, nor that he actually has. No more than he already said about G.

I just hope that some of the good lessons from Steelers are learned by the Devils.

There has been a susequant release saying that Simon has been signed for next year.

But given that G has never signed for the previous year this early on in the past. I cant see why this is an issue.

TheStub

Although I didn't check yesterday or today, the last release that got this conversation going actually says that Simon is a priority signing and has agreed in principle.

G may be in exactly the same situation but we haven't had the non news press release from the Devils. The Steelers release is mainly aimed at getting people to today's game.

drainage

Sorry but I dont see where we have an issue Simon appears to have decided his next year position G doesnt appear to have. I dont see where the Steelers are being given preferential status here ..... surely its just as likely G hasnt decided ? Why must everything be looked at for a slight against the Devils ?

Ragan has done nothing but good for us as far as I can see...... surely we need to give this latest BUSINESS decision he has made a chance before we start assuming the worst ?

The man didnt get to be a millionaire without having his head screwed on properly , he has no reason to shaft the Devils and every reason not to .... its a business he wants to turn a profit.

I may be wrong but I am prepared to wait and see

TheStub

At this stage all we have been told that Simon has agreed in principle to sign. Nothing about the Devils at all there.

G may be considering his position, may have already signed, may be on the verge of signing. Who knows...the Devils haven't released a non release. The Steelers are promoting today's game hard, so will release news about what the team had for brunch to get something out there.

Thread starter #12
I have no insider knowledge on this topic, just my own opinion. As someone commented, maybe their in on going talks?

However, what I find odd is that Paul Ragan came out and stated prior to signing Ben Simon it was his priority at Sheffield and then subsequentley signed him up quickly.

Even if, as someone has suggested, Gerad Adams was considering his own options. I can't understand why Paul Ragan hasn't at least came out publicly and said similarly positive comments about Gerad Adams and at least mentioned they were in on going discussions regarding next year. But nothing.

Let's not forget, for all Simon has done at Sheffield (on alledgedly a higher budget than Cardiff if Dave Simms is to be believed), Adams has exceeded with the Devils with us second with a game in hand on Sheffield.

I believe Gerad Adams has served his apprenticeship and got better as a coach year on year. He's learned a lot from previous seasons and the club would be hard pressed to find someone as committed, passionate and determined to succeed as he is for the Devils.

Thread starter #13
drainage said:
Sorry but I dont see where we have an issue Simon appears to have decided his next year position G doesnt appear to have. I dont see where the Steelers are being given preferential status here ..... surely its just as likely G hasnt decided ? Why must everything be looked at for a slight against the Devils ?

Ragan has done nothing but good for us as far as I can see...... surely we need to give this latest BUSINESS decision he has made a chance before we start assuming the worst ?

The man didnt get to be a millionaire without having his head screwed on properly , he has no reason to shaft the Devils and every reason not to .... its a business he wants to turn a profit.

I may be wrong but I am prepared to wait and see
I'm not assuming the worst, or looking to turns this in to a Sheffield v Cardiff debate. That's just your misguided interpretation.

I'm simply intrigued that Paul Ragan has came out publicly and made comments his priority was to sign Ben Simon and then subsequentley signed him up. Yet nothing is mentioned publicly about signing up his coach at Cardiff who is doing an outstanding job and just broken an Elite league record for the number of consecutive wins. Let's not forget we're even standing second in the table with games in hand that potentially could take us top.

If he is in negotiations with Adams, then why not simply come out and say so as he has with Simon?

TheStub

Re: Re: Why is Ben Simon a priority ahead of Gerad Adams?

Centre Ice said:
Even if, as someone has suggested, Gerad Adams was considering his own options. I can't understand why Paul Ragan hasn't at least came out publicly and said similarly positive comments about Gerad Adams and at least mentioned they were in on going discussions regarding next year. But nothing.
I'm starting to sound like a club spokesman, even though I am firmly in the needing convinced camp - but Regan has made this statement.

In the release around buying Sheffield he said resigning both coaches was his priority. Both. Not just Simon. What are now doing is infering Devils news from Sheffield publicity. We wouldn't with any other team, so why are we now looking for Devils to get equal billing in Sheffield PR?

Simon has said he is likely to resign (the article actually says he hasn't yet signed). Regan said he wanted G and Simon. So either G is in the same situation as Simon and we haven't seen fit to announce that G is looking for a pen, or is considering.

But you shouldn't infer anything from a Sheffield release.

drainage

I'm not assuming the worst, or looking to turns this in to a Sheffield v Cardiff debate. That's just your misguided interpretation.

I'm simply intrigued that Paul Ragan has came out publicly and made comments his priority was to sign Ben Simon and then subsequentley signed him up. Yet nothing is mentioned publicly about signing up his coach at Cardiff who is doing an outstanding job and just broken an Elite league record for the number of consecutive wins. Let's not forget we're even standing second in the table with games in hand that potentially could take us top.

If he is in negotiations with Adams, then why not simply come out and say so as he has with Simon?
At no point did I comment on you or your views personally so I find refering to me as misguided rude and without foundation. No did I say anyone is stating the worst or should fear it .... I simply said people seem to be looking for things in every comment/press release

If you recall when Ragan bought the Devils his first or nearly first action was to sign G .... he has just replicated the process with Sheffield.

I am well aware of where we are and what a good job G has done - at no point did I say differently.

Why we have this need - and thats the wider WE - to have to know every nuance of the clubs running I have no idea.

In my view too many comments on here are looking for problems that have yet to been seen I am simply stating we need to wait and see ..... yes thats my view and in my view not misguided.

I see this week being all about going into Sheffield and getting them back up and running. Ragan and Adams will talk in their own time, but this week is simply about other things in other places.

Given the season we are having, I cannot see Adams' future being an issue unless he himself wants to move on.

Couldn't hear most of Ragan's interview at the Steelers Panthers game, but he did endear himself to the Sheffield fans by calling Nottingham a small team! :D

As he's put his hand in his pocket for an NHL defenceman for Cardiff, it looks like it's going to be an expensive Christmas for him if he's keeping things equal between his two clubs.

Merry Christmas Mr Ragan! :D

DevilDom

Holl_5 said:
As good as that is, it doesn't count as that's for next year! ;)

Simon is current EIHL. I want ex-NHL! :D
Well if Dave Simms is to be believed then you already have a bigger budget than us. Therefore if Ragan is true to his word either you will be reducing yours or we will be increasing ours. Either way i can't see that meaning you get another ex-NHLer. ;)