Where have our fans gone?

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
Looking at the ticket sales so far for Sunday's game it appears that even with the fantastic ticket offer for season ticket buddies the crowd will still be pretty average. Add into this the fact that attendances are down in general this year and its a bit worrying.

I'm a bit confused as to why this is the case. I know we are not (yet) the all conquering team of last year, but we are still very strong at home and have only lost one game in regulation at home so far year. The Clan have a good side and the game should be very competitive. The games have picked up in recent weeks with good wins against the Stars and Panthers, so why are people staying away?

Is it because of what happened in the summer? The way the team is playing? The lack of physicality? I'm just slightly surprised we are not approaching a sell out for this game and wondered what peoples thoughts were.

Ger-Devils

slapshot said:
That's an easy answer. This weeks offer aside, £16 a ticket or whatever it is now is just too expensive
It was £16 last year? I don't agree with the walk up prices this year at 17.50 for an adult. The facility is poor and not sure how they can justify the price with what we play out of? If you had a full blown arena like Belfast/Nottingham/Braehead then you would accept it as there's more to do.

as someone who brings 2 adults and 2 kids it does work out expensive night. i tend to pick and choose my games and top up my hockey fix with Enl games . Braehead in my personal opinion did not appeal to me .

DevilDom

Thread starter #5
derek6368 said:
as someone who brings 2 adults and 2 kids it does work out expensive night. i tend to pick and choose my games and top up my hockey fix with Enl games . Braehead in my personal opinion did not appeal to me .
Even with the ticket price just £10 for adults and £1 for kids? So £22 for the 4 of you as oppose to £47 on a normal night?

Earnie

It is worrying and it is not an easy one to answer.
There are probably multiple factors. £16 a ticket may be one of them. There are ways to lessen that cost. Buying a season ticket early is as good as any. Being a bit higher up the league table always helps draw crowds.
The state of the nation's finances and the knock on effect on everyone makes us more careful where we spend our money. Run up to Christmas does nor help cash flow. Rubbish tent we all know about. I am sure there are many more reasons
My advice - buy a Season Ticket early - great value for money. Even try buying a season ticket late - they may give you a deal. Don't ask - don't get as they say.

As a 'die hard' fan, none of the below really affects me (within reason), but for more casual fans there are a few factors. It's a shame because last season we managed some good attendances even against poor teams (admittedly only selling out for the big matches).

The cost is the main factor. Very expensive for a poor quality view in a poor quality rink. I think we got the pricing completely wrong this season. If we're selling out every game, then yes put the prices up, but even last season it was only the real big games selling out so any increase is more likely to drive away more casual fans. I think these offers are a step in the right direction, and hopefully Sunday's game will be a success.

On top of that, I don't think the team on the ice is anywhere near as entertaining as last year for some reason - possibly because we seem much less aggressive as a team. Some of our early matches were absolutely dire wins (which casual fans won’t come back to), or entertaining but ending in a loss (which may get some fans back).

Last year we had serious momentum after the Weller signing, and fantastic press from our winning streak (casual fans are more fickle). This seasons seems a little underwhelming, especially with the bad press over the summer.

ASHIPP

Press and media coverage gained momentum with the success of the team last season. It's impossible to put a price on that sort of exposure.

Whilst good media coverage continues on the radio and in the press, no tv appearances (so far) this year for the club. And I have to say, at a time when the club needs good press, articles like yesterday's one about the effect of former Devils' player going to another club (and his reasons) carry some negativity and aren't always helpful. :x

However, it can't be denied that the events of the Summer have had a ripple effect on so many aspects of the club, undoing a tremendous ammount of hard work. :evil: With the backdrop of the recession and the drag-on effect of negociations for our new home, it's very sad and frustrating. It's G, Franny and the team I feel most sorry for - most of this is out of their control. :cry:

I find it difficult to motivate myself to visit the tent this season . i have only been to 2 games. In recent seasons i would only miss a handfull of games.The price is also a factor paying £17.50 in a sub standard facility also puts me off.

I don't think all these saturday games are helping us out either. Hockey in Cardiff has always been mostly sundays. We actually only got 9 sundays games all season this year. Ok, this week is a sunday but clashes with GB rally in cardiff. Last week was bonfire night. The problem with playing saturday, is that City also plays a lot of games, and in this financial climate, people can't afford to go to football and hockey. I don't think our schedule has been thought out enough this year. A lot of our games clashed with Wales world cup, and coming up in march, 2 saturday games clash with Wales playing home in the 6 nations. Our last challenge cup game v Sheffield is on black friday. We use to come as a family of 5, we are down to a family of 3 this season because of all the saturday game, as kids got a lot of other commitments on a saturday.

I've been coming every week for 3 years (ENLs too) but this week I've been made redundant so probably MNL and a few ENL games for me for the next few months. I'll be saving all my pennys for the Steelers clash before christmas too maybe. I wonder how many other people are in my situation. "Its the economy, stupid".

Also the tent offers little for the casual fan. Out of town. Kinda shoddy. Price wise, as much as it seems a lot, compares well to similar events in the city.

I think the marketing is going well tho, so i do wonder...

For me it's cost combined with the product on offer.

It's way too expensive and the hockey for the most part is boring and low quality.

I should probably add that a number of players don't seem fully committed either, so I feel why should I bother spending cash to watch guys put less than 100% in.

I'm picking and choosing this year and if it wasn't for catching up with friends and the banter/entertainment that comes with that I'd go to even less games.

DevilDom

Thread starter #13
I do think putting the price up for walk up tickets was a mistake with our facility and in the current climate but how would season ticket holders feel if it were reduced again half way through the season? I wouldn't mind if it led to increased crowds but I'm sure a good few people would.

I just thought with this great offer for Sunday we would have sold a few more tickets by now.

DevilDom said:
I do think putting the price up for walk up tickets was a mistake with our facility and in the current climate but how would season ticket holders feel if it were reduced again half way through the season? I wouldn't mind if it led to increased crowds but I'm sure a good few people would.

I just thought with this great offer for Sunday we would have sold a few more tickets by now.
That's the difficulty as all club's in this league are petrified of not getting a chunk of ST money to basically start the season. So I guess they know they'll get roughly the same number of die hard ST holders buying tickets regardless of the price (within reason of course)

Ideally Season Tickets would be reduced meaning they could charge reasonable prices at the gate, but I can see the club's reasoning for not dropping the ST cost.

cf38 said:
I don't think all these saturday games are helping us out either. Hockey in Cardiff has always been mostly sundays. We actually only got 9 sundays games all season this year. Ok, this week is a sunday but clashes with GB rally in cardiff. Last week was bonfire night. The problem with playing saturday, is that City also plays a lot of games, and in this financial climate, people can't afford to go to football and hockey. I don't think our schedule has been thought out enough this year. A lot of our games clashed with Wales world cup, and coming up in march, 2 saturday games clash with Wales playing home in the 6 nations. Our last challenge cup game v Sheffield is on black friday. We use to come as a family of 5, we are down to a family of 3 this season because of all the saturday game, as kids got a lot of other commitments on a saturday.
I fully agree with this, there are quite a few Saturday games which aren't as easy for people to attend and I find that going to the match on a Sunday is a nice way to end the weekend as it's something to look forward to.
The other point regarding the rugby days is spot on too, I am a massive rugby fan along with hockey and am still debating whether I'll be using my season ticket on the 6 Nations days.

I know sometimes there's no other option other than to play on Saturdays but it seems there are a lot more Saturday games this year than last.

Kipper

The simple answer is the economic climate. People are not spending money on non-essentials and for most people hockey is not essential.

I also know some friends who were regulars but no longer attend because of the walk-up price.

voth26

i think some points are valid, but for me with regards to the bbt we have been in it for 5yrs or there abouts, it was never state of the art in the first place the very first game against newcastle proved that!!!!!. i will probably miss more games this season than ever before due mostly to the majority of games being on a saturday which makes it awkward with my work commitments. it does seem that games are not as exciting as last year, i always come with 3 other people, even managed to convince my better half to come for the steelers game thinking it would be a sell out and a cracking game total opposite and she asked "why do i pay to come see this as it's boring", the dundee game was a better game and a bigger crowd

All good points which do explain the drops in attendance.

It would seem the club must be concerned too with the extra sentives to get more fans through the door. I know the club are pushing the product, but they must see the drop in crowds is not good.

One question though? Should our gates remain around the 1200-1400 mark all year how will this affect the clubs finances? Will PR be in trouble?

I try to come to as many games as I can work permitting and usually come with a few others travelling from Weston-super-Mare.

It was summed up for me a few weeks back at one of the Belfast games where one of my friends who was at his first game this season said to me, "what happened to the team from last year? We aren't finishing our hits, we're getting pushed around and looking a bit pathetic."

A lot of my friends are casual fans and to them they want to watch a fearless, aggressive team. Not pay to watch us get beat up.

TheStub

It's odd what people prefer. I don't like Sunday games as it makes it a late night on a school night.

What suits one will not another.