Whats your profession

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Thought it might be a good idea to let people know what we are good at eg our professions, we all need professional people at times, Electricians, Plumbers, Chippys etc, and as we all know you can never get one, but if you have something in common with someone eg hockey, then maybe it will benefit both parties, money for the tradesman, and a good job for the punter . What you think unfortunately im into telly so not much use to many, please reply.

TheStub

I'm a Systems Engineer. Hybrid Electrical Engineer and programmer. Probably not that much use to most people :lol:

I know computers. Hardware, software (use and programming), web development, operating systems, networking - the whole world of geekery.

Im in IT as a profession. Recently graduated as july 07. Haven't been able to find an IT job since finishing my degree, so just working full time at the moment.

At the moment, I am a customer service manager for Tesco in cardiff.

Ger-Devils

RichardR said:
Im in IT as a profession. Recently graduated as july 07. Haven't been able to find an IT job since finishing my degree, so just working full time at the moment.

At the moment, I am a customer service manager for Tesco in cardiff.
Fairplay you would think with the gap in the I.T industry, they would be crying out for staff?

yeah i know mate. I have some experience, but every interview i went for says that i haven't got enough. I can't get experience without a job and i cant get a job without experience. I worked as an IT technician for 2 months on a temp contract and ive done a load of voluntary work for 2 schools in Bridgend, but still nothing. :(

Thats why i am working as a customer service manager, 1, its full time work, 2, its something to go on my cv as giving me additional skills and management skills and 3, hoping that it will help with my career if any IT or management jobs come up in work.

Its just annoying when you spend 3 years studying hard in uni and come out with a 2:1 honours degree to be told your qualifications are worth nowt without experience. Sorry rant over, lol :lol:

Ger-Devils

RichardR said:
yeah i know mate. I have some experience, but every interview i went for says that i haven't got enough. I can't get experience without a job and i cant get a job without experience. I worked as an IT technician for 2 months on a temp contract and ive done a load of voluntary work for 2 schools in Bridgend, but still nothing. :(

Thats why i am working as a customer service manager, 1, its full time work, 2, its something to go on my cv as giving me additional skills and management skills and 3, hoping that it will help with my career if any IT or management jobs come up in work.

Its just annoying when you spend 3 years studying hard in uni and come out with a 2:1 honours degree to be told your qualifications are worth nowt without experience. Sorry rant over, lol :lol:
Well I worked as a taxman, used my I.T skills in the office to help people with dodgey pc's in the office as our call centre I.T people were terrible.

I'm doing this I.T systems engineering training with a firm so will be working after April and training so not too bad and guaranteed work. Costing me some ££££ but would have been the same if I spent doing it in Uni for 3 years

Oryx

What's this with I.T and Tesco?

I'm doing a Degree in Software Development and I work in Tesco part-time and a library... a bit of a handfull but i still get weekends off mainly for hockey-time!

Finny

I think my official title is "IT Technician" - which basically means if anything remotely electrical goes wrong they call me. Sometimes even if it's not electrical. Last week someone came to me for help because their door was broke. I kid you not.

I work in a school in RCT and most of the time I love it. I can understand how frustrated Richard is feeling as I had the exact same problem after I graduated - except I worked for Sainsburys whilst trying to find a job.

Eventually got a temporary "trainee" contract doing Computer Programming but the pay was rubbish and I had to work Sat and Sunday in Sainsburys just to keep my pay up to what it was. In the end I decided that Computer Programming wasn't for me but fortunately I managed to get some exerience during that period as a Computer Technician and when I finally had enough the experience got me this job.

Still not getting paid as much as I should be but I don't dread going to work every morning like I used to in some previous jobs.

Chris

Administrator
I'm part of a team working for Cardiff Council doing fire risk assessments. We were due to be doing asbestos risk checks as well, but they decided to farm that out.

Chris.

Ger-Devils

Chris Stone said:
I'm part of a team working for Cardiff Council doing fire risk assessments. We were due to be doing asbestos risk checks as well, but they decided to farm that out.

Chris.
I think someone had a word with Aberdare Sports Centre about their asbestos etc before someone came in and slammed a hefty fine on them!

Was terrible fair play.