What if...

Thread starter #1
If two teams finish on the same number of points what is the next deciding factor to split the teams, is it regulation wins or games between the two sides ect, I recall we lost out to Sheffield a few seasons back on this type of ruling and the play offs last year as well

Rich Best

I don't know if I am being really thick so could someone help me out?

Everyone is saying it is Braeheads to lose - but looking at the league Sheffield are one point ahead and both teams have 4 (?) games left. So surely it is sheffields to lose - regardless of who each team are playing?

Braehead play Edinburgh tonight who are fighting for a playoff place. I wouldn't call that an easy game?

The form Sheffield are in after beating us 11-0 I would put them at least joint favourites. As much as I hate to say it Sheffield have a history of being very stubborn down the stretch. They needed to strong results out to pip us to the post a few years ago - in our 23 game win season - and they managed to do it!

So please correct me if I am misunderstanding something obvious which actually puts braehead clear favourite and can hardly lose it as is being reported?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rempel16

No, Rich Best you are absolutely correct.

I think the general expectation is that with us and the Steelers playing each other twice more it is likely that we will take points off each other.... Sheffield need to maintain a 100% record now, which is tougher to do than Braeheads schedule.

Temme

things have changed a little lately with Braehead losing & sheffield winning.

However even on the current points it's Braehead's to lose, if Sheffield can win all 4 of their last games then fair enough, but Sheffield have a damn sight more harder games.

I still put Braehead as favourites!

James

Administrator
It should now be our aim to win the conference and prevent Sheffield from winning anything. I'd call that a job well done if we can.

Finny

James said:
It should now be our aim to win the conference and prevent Sheffield from winning anything. I'd call that a job well done if we can.
Agreed.
If Sheffield do win their final 4 games that on it's own would be an impressive achievement and they would deserve those league and conference titles.

We've still got a good chance of getting that conference title though. Two home wins against Sheffield and Nottingham would give us a great chance. I think winning all 3 conference games would guarantee it.

DevilDom

James said:
:RAWK

I think we will need to take minimum 3 points off Sheffield and then beat Panthers at home in regulation in the last game to do it. Not impossible and far more achievable than the league title after Wednesday.

It would also be an extra title for us and minimum 2nd seed for the playoffs.

Have Hope#35

DevilDom said:
James said:
:RAWK

I think we will need to take minimum 3 points off Sheffield and then beat Panthers at home in regulation in the last game to do it. Not impossible and far more achievable than the league title after Wednesday.

It would also be an extra title for us and minimum 2nd seed for the playoffs.
We could also do with Belfast taking points off Nottingham this weekend as the last thing we want is for Nottingham to Win our Conference... Nottingham do have Belfast twice, Sheffield and us mind! Our focus has to be the Conference Title with the League Title as an outside chance.

Finny

Nottingham winning the conference would be really really bad as it would seed them 3rd for the playoffs and push us down to 4th to play Belfast.

Have Hope#35

Finny said:
Nottingham winning the conference would be really really bad as it would seed them 3rd for the playoffs and push us down to 4th to play Belfast.
Or Second if Sheffield don't Win the League... Either way we'd be pushed to Fourth! Belfast QF not worth considering! That Final Game of the season for us may turn out to be huge in Playoff terms :shock:

i thought that position in our conference only matters if breahead win the league. That how i understood it on the elite website, but i am dyslexic and may have taken it in wrong.

Have Hope#35

aplzart said:
i thought that position in our conference only matters if breahead win the league. That how i understood it on the elite website, but i am dyslexic and may have taken it in wrong.
Not if Sheffield somehow Win the league without Winning our Conference... That is Mathematically possible! That would give the Winner of our Conference Rank 2 and Braehead as Winner of their Conference would drop to Rank 3 I believe?

Edit: In the event of the league title winner not winning their Conference, the order will be as follows.

The number-one seed will still be the Elite League winners with the two Conference winners taking seeds two and three (higher rank determined by their league position).

ASHIPP

Coventry definitely won't make life easy for Sheffield. Here's a team securing it's league position and playing to gather momentum for the playoffs. Blaze are amongst the most consistent teams right now.

Have Hope#35 said:
aplzart said:
Not if Sheffield somehow Win the league without Winning our Conference... That is Mathematically possible! That would give the Winner of our Conference Rank 2 and Braehead as Winner of their Conference would drop to Rank 3 I believe?

Edit: In the event of the league title winner not winning their Conference, the order will be as follows.

The number-one seed will still be the Elite League winners with the two Conference winners taking seeds two and three (higher rank determined by their league position).
ah right thanks i did see that but it didnt sink in, but now it has haha