Tonights Game

Wannabe2

SPEEDACE said:
Sorry, how can we criticise the league for crazy decisions, which the Vother one is, when we go ahead with a game at a time that the Police are advising us to drive only if it is absolutely necessary. The conditions on motorways, A roads may be fine, but your fans dont live in these locations, they live in residential areas which at present in some areas are under 18 inches of snow, now are those people really going to be able to make it. A lot of our fans travel significant distances to watch the Devils, maybe the organisation should recognise this and puts its supporters health and safety first along with the supporters of Nottingham who shouldnt be expected to travel in these conditions, especially as when its time for them to return home it'll be Minus 5 and roads surfaces will be icing up. I can actually get to the game, no problem whatsoever, i think the wider picture needs to be considered by those people in more important positions.
And its very hard to dissagree with that statement, in fact you couldnt.

SPEEDACE said:
Sorry, how can we criticise the league for crazy decisions, which the Vother one is, when we go ahead with a game at a time that the Police are advising us to drive only if it is absolutely necessary. The conditions on motorways, A roads may be fine, but your fans dont live in these locations, they live in residential areas which at present in some areas are under 18 inches of snow, now are those people really going to be able to make it. A lot of our fans travel significant distances to watch the Devils, maybe the organisation should recognise this and puts its supporters health and safety first along with the supporters of Nottingham who shouldnt be expected to travel in these conditions, especially as when its time for them to return home it'll be Minus 5 and roads surfaces will be icing up. I can actually get to the game, no problem whatsoever, i think the wider picture needs to be considered by those people in more important positions.
Spot on, and another thing everyone has to pay for this game as it's not on the season ticket. Paul Ragan was saying only the other week that we need more bums on seats - i can't see there being many there tonight.

Very poor decision to allow the game to go ahead. The reasons stated by others on this thread already highlight why its a poor decision.

On one hand the authorities are telling us to stay home unless absolutely necessary, but the Devils expect people to put their own safety and the safety of others at risk to get to the game.

Does anyone have another contact number for the Devils as I've tried the office and there is no answer (I assume it's only open Monday to Friday)?

Chris

Administrator
They were meant to be open 11-2 for the shop but obivoulsy haven't
So the snow is too bad for them to get down to the office and open it for 3 hours and possibly answer questions from fans...

Yet they expect hundreds, if not thousands of fans to turn up tonight? Whoever thought this was a good idea needs a slap.

Chris.

I have to agree with you in that games should be cancelled if it looks like FANS (ie paying spectators) cannot make it in the usual number.

Scotland has had this weather since the beginning of December and as a direct result Edinburgh has suffered lower gates receipts on the two sequential double headers (Belfast & Nottingham) that have been played the last two weekends. Also this weekend is pretty pivotal in Newcastle’s survival and if the weather is awful the crowd is going to be well down – not what is needed.

Some common sense is required all round.....

Finny

Unless someone else knows different - I don't think it is up to the Devils to cancel the game. Looking at the Cardiff City situation, for the game to be postponed it would have to be agreed between:

-The Safety Advice Group (i.e. the council/police?)
-The Elite League
-Planet Ice

steve

As i said PI are responsible. We don't get classed as a major public event (usually over 2,000 regularly I think) police/council won't close us down as were under their radar.

I am clearly alone in my thinking here but i don't see why the game should be called off.
Other countries get a lot more snow for many more months than we do and thats just the norm. Why should we be any different. I find it quite embarrassing how badly we cope and i know foreigners find it rather amusing too...

From a business point of view i fully understand why people think it should be called off but i can't stand how everything grinds to a halt over here. I struggle to believe that so many people are actually 'snowed in' to the extent that they couldn't get out if need be. Get out of the house and down the rink and show your support. :D

Diafol

steve said:
As i said PI are responsible. We don't get classed as a major public event (usually over 2,000 regularly I think) police/council won't close us down as were under their radar.

If that's the case I'm surprised PI haven't taken the decision to call it off.

Their bar / cafe takings are going to be way down tonight...

Ocko

Ivydrive said:
I am clearly alone in my thinking here but i don't see why the game should be called off.
Other countries get a lot more snow for many more months than we do and thats just the norm. Why should we be any different. I find it quite embarrassing how badly we cope and i know foreigners find it rather amusing too...

From a business point of view i fully understand why people think it should be called off but i can't stand how everything grinds to a halt over here. I struggle to believe that so many people are actually 'snowed in' to the extent that they couldn't get out if need be. Get out of the house and down the rink and show your support. :D
Completely agree. It's not THAT bad. Having lived in a few snow covered countries this is nothing. I've just been on a little dry run of my route (and I live on Caerphilly mountain) and drive a rear wheel drive (not the best in the snow might I add) had no problems. Lets have a bit of effort dig your snow off the drive and get down the rink instead of moaning. I for one would not miss the game for the world and would train, bus, walk if I had to!

Ivydrive said:
I think the difference is that those countries get guaranteed snow each year. Local authorities can budget for it and it's an accepted necessity.

Here, this is very unusual...if LAs budgeted for this kind of snowfal each year rather than apend it on other services they'd be widely criticised.

Bit of a no-win situation really.

davew

Collette Hulme on BBC News has just said M5 south very difficult 1 lane open, but 20 miles of queueing traffic northbound back to strensham serices!

Ivydrive said:

I dont disagree with the point everything comes to a standstill, however because we are unable to deal with it is the reason people are reluctant to go out - safety. It may not be bad now but what happens when the sun disappears and the temperature goes down. It is going to get very tricky out there on untreated roads.

It has nothing to do with showing support, I am sure people are disappointed they can't go but I am sure they value their wellbeing and safety far more than a game. I think people have got out of their houses, but walking to a local shop is a bit different to driving on icy roads

Diafol

cardiffdevil said:
Ivydrive said:

I dont disagree with the point everything comes to a standstill, however because we are unable to deal with it is the reason people are reluctant to go out - safety. It may not be bad now but what happens when the sun disappears and the temperature goes down. It is going to get very tricky out there on untreated roads.

It has nothing to do with showing support, I am sure people are disappointed they can't go but I am sure they value their wellbeing and safety far more than a game. I think people have got out of their houses, but walking to a local shop is a bit different to driving on icy roads
Post of the day !