Time for Pope to be sacked??

Wannabe2

Its a terrible shame listening to hardened Devils fans talking in this manner, so much passion for there club that its ripping them apart. Its now gone so far that its going to take something else to get it back on track, what a s--t mess to find ourselves in. A club once United in so many ways and views, its now so divided its a shame, and reaching imploding proportions. Hope Santa stops by the Bay and sprinkles something magical, even Rudolph on the bench would be a help.

Ger-Devils

mazza03 said:
Wannabe2 said:
nicky27 said:
I have followed the Devils for 14 years (season ticket every year) and I'm now finding myself not wanting to go to games. Feel very sad about it!!
Totally agree with you Nick, its very sad times for the club we all hold so dear. Things obviously need to change to get this once proud club back on track, Devils fans deserve so much more.
ST since 1990 and really don't want to go to games at the minute. :(

Edited to ask, what's an ice bath for? it's blooming cold enough without one.
Basically it's meant to help speed up the healing process of injuries, help the muscles recover etc

Foxy

Armchair Coach said:
ASHIPP said:
Get rid of the icebath and bring in a hungry determined and commited coach who will be completely focused on turning things around.
Who do you have in mind,? That is (a) available (b) within our budget and (c) has the attributes, qualifications and proven track record that the current band of Devils Management detractors insist are a pre-requisite for the job to restore the Devils to their previous lofty status within British Ice Hockey.
Maybe PR should have thought of that before interfering and pissing off G

Have Hope#35

League position
Attendance
Customer satisfaction

The little things.
What Paul said... Also other than the Belfast doubleheader we've played the so called lesser teams! G's start with an injured nettie was Nottingham, Sheffield, Belfast 3 Times, Coventry and a very in form Dundee!

ASHIPP

Armchair Coach said:
ASHIPP said:
Get rid of the icebath and bring in a hungry determined and commited coach who will be completely focused on turning things around.
Who do you have in mind,? That is (a) available (b) within our budget and (c) has the attributes, qualifications and proven track record that the current band of Devils Management detractors insist are a pre-requisite for the job to restore the Devils to their previous lofty status within British Ice Hockey.
AC - who knows the answer to this one? But the Club are going to have to confront this situation eventually once the season ends. Like other posters have said, a new coach brought in before BP's departure can assess and work with the team. Maybe even turn things around.
Let's face it, current coach will be focusing on Olympics soon. He even acknowledges in a press statement that the players are not playing for him ..but for the fans and themselves. All wwe want is a coach who is 100% commited and focused on our team....with no other responsibilities or distractions.

voth26

ASHIPP said:
Armchair Coach said:
ASHIPP said:
AC - who knows the answer to this one? But the Club are going to have to confront this situation eventually once the season ends. Like other posters have said, a new coach brought in before BP's departure can assess and work with the team. Maybe even turn things around.
Let's face it, current coach will be focusing on Olympics soon. He even acknowledges in a press statement that the players are not playing for him ..but for the fans and themselves. All we want is a coach who is 100% commited and focused on our team....with no other responsibilities or distractions.

Such as a certain person called G used to do :roll: :roll:

rolf

We cannot just sack him. There is a process to follow:-

1 - Issue of ultimatum of a top 4 place within a month
2 - Retraction of said ultimatum
3 - Stooge to be put on bench to keep an eye on him
4 - Brought out of retirement to play one last time.
5 - Stooge to then get job
6 - Dog-dirt job made up to be put into

That's the correct and decent way to replace your coach.

Besides he is doing his best isn't he? He can hardly have wanted this job with all of the other commitments he has with the BBC, being MD and all the other stuff, surely not?

I saw this with my own eyes in the period breaks. Can anyone guess what pope does in the period breaks????
He walks between the rink wall and the containers outside. He should be in the changing room talking things through with the players but there's so little respect for him getting to where he is by the means he has, he should have been gased before he had started. I still can't believe that I saw him walking back and forth out there. He's the bloody coach! Get him off the bench before any further damage is done!
To further it, when pope called the time out and started talking tactics after 10 seconds Lord took the play board off him and started drawing up the plays! Get him out of here as soon as and ATLEAST let G finish his testimonial season. Or get someone else in. We as fans, and the players deserve mor than this.

Morale is in the bin, due to poo coaching and lack of respect. Something needs to be done!
I stand the statement #nohopewithpope

Shocked to see Pope on team bus then walk off down the road 5 minutes after game in Coventry. Why was he not where all coaches should be after a game - good or bad - in the dressing room with the team?

noodlesboy said:
I saw this with my own eyes in the period breaks. Can anyone guess what pope does in the period breaks????
He walks between the rink wall and the containers outside. He should be in the changing room talking things through with the players but there's so little respect for him getting to where he is by the means he has, he should have been gased before he had started. I still can't believe that I saw him walking back and forth out there. He's the bloody coach! Get him off the bench before any further damage is done!
To further it, when pope called the time out and started talking tactics after 10 seconds Lord took the play board off him and started drawing up the plays! Get him out of here as soon as and ATLEAST let G finish his testimonial season. Or get someone else in. We as fans, and the players deserve mor than this.

Morale is in the bin, due to poo coaching and lack of respect. Something needs to be done!
Wow that says it all really doesn't it, PR made his biggest mistake as the owner of the Devils when he appointed Pope as coach... and hes made a few of them

It breaks my heart seeing the club like this. I'll be standing in my plexi window every game and getting behind the team. It just hurts a little bit more than I'd like seeing them get beaten. They deserve better than this

Coaches have different strategies for period breaks,some will let the players do what they want for 5 minutes whilst he figures out what to say, others will talk 1on 1 with players regarding their roles and sometimes they leave it to the leaders in the room to sort out any issues.

In sort just because he wasn't in the room doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job.

voth26

ggiant said:
Coaches have different strategies for period breaks,some will let the players do what they want for 5 minutes whilst he figures out what to say, others will talk 1on 1 with players regarding their roles and sometimes they leave it to the leaders in the room to sort out any issues.

In sort just because he wasn't in the room doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job.
If he was doing his job properly he'd still be md walking around the rink, G would be full time on the bench and maybe just maybe we would be ok?

Wannabe2

voth26 said:
ggiant said:

If he was doing his job properly he'd still be md walking around the rink, G would be full time on the bench and maybe just maybe we would be ok?
Too sensible, far too sensible.

TheStub

voth26 said:
ggiant said:

Or we could have a decent coach.

RTfarty

noodlesboy said:

As has been mentioned earlier, most coaches won't come in to the changing room until 5 minutes before the start of the next period. It's also not rare for players to make suggestions in a time-out/period break, and draw things up on the board, especially from influential players.

If G was in Pope's shoes right now and all results were the same, we would all be voicing our support, praising the win in Belfast still, and certainly not considering bringing in someone else. We would not second guess everything he does, but if Pope so much as breathes incorrectly he gets jumped on.

I don't believe the whole coaching situation was handled correctly and professionally, but neither do I believe we are giving Pope a single chance to right the ship. G had 7/8 years to coach the Devils, had some success, and now it's time to move on. Players are just as much to blame, as they're the ones on the ice playing the game.

My biggest issue with hockey in Cardiff over the past few seasons is everyone seems to be involved or have too much information on what goes on behind the scenes. Too many fans get involved with the politics rather than turn up and just support the team.

RTfarty said:
noodlesboy said:

My biggest issue with hockey in Cardiff over the past few seasons is everyone seems to be involved or have too much information on what goes on behind the scenes. Too many fans get involved with the politics rather than turn up and just support the team.

That is the same with life in general as it goes forward, customers ( fans ) are a lot more careful where they spend their money, as in Fairtrade products etc. Why should the cash they spend on leisure activities be any different ?

We all want the team to do well, entertain, compete and a lot of people want the Club managment to act in an honourable way on behalf of the club/team and the future of it. The problem is that there is not a queue of new sponsors, fans and future players to replace the ones they p*** off just as there is not a queue of owners waiting to take over.

There has to be some balance somewhere and the downward spiral needs to stop at some point hopefully sooner rather than later, which may be too late for some fans/sponsors to return.

The bridges need to be built and the club can no longer lurch on from one crisis to another, the firefighting takes up to much of their time which could be used to better the club. They need to plan and build instead of scheme and plot, its all just common sense really and the fact the owner knows little about hockey and the MD knows little about Public relations shouldn't matter they should both play to their own strengths instead of meddling in the others role

Pleximan

Well I've been a watching the Devils since '89 and I must say I have been disillusioned the last few years with how we have become an average also ran. We are just nowhere near the level of the top teams and this year we are now one of the bottom teams in the league. Just as well I didn't renew my ST this year, I just had a feeling it would be the usual big promises but little in the way of results.
It's an odd feeling not going to hockey games after 24yrs, and even stranger is that I have become used to doing something else on Sunday evenings.
For me G had to go, it was a case of the same old bad start to the league each season that put us out of the running by October.

Maybe this team might go on a long unbeaten run and relight the fire??
Mmmmm I don't see it. I have been getting progressively disillusioned over the last 3yrs and it's not acceptable to me to see the Devils have become just another team for the top sides to count on beating regularly.

Bored.