This team

moggy#9

We've had the great CV with Skalde, which didn’t work out (although more to do with him not gelling with Kelman I think) plus the inexperienced rookie duo which has hardly set the league alight this year. I’d prefer that we went with someone more experienced in the ways of the EIHL for next season. Pete Russell, didn’t stay long enough at Clan for me. But I’d happily welcome Danny Stewart or Paul Dixon with open arms. I like the fire in Stewart’s belly and he’s been around the block with a mid budget team and knows the league inside out - and Dixon has shown year on year that he can recruit and coach young, hungry, players who play a fast, physical style of hockey with an aggressive forecheck - just the kind of hockey I like to watch. It’s no coincidence that of all our historic rivalries, the games against Guildford this last few years have been my favourute games to watch.
I felt that skalde was very capable. The fact that the team was respective on the pp and when we pulled the goalie showed that. I can only surmise that he was worn down by the organisation's attitudes regarding on ice performance. There is no way anyone can claim Dupont has been an upgrade, or indeed that Dupont has ticked any boxes other than, probably, being quite agreeable.

I wouldn't see Stewart or Dixon leaving their respective clubs. I think that tempting Stephen Dixon back from clan as an assistant is very doable though.

I would keep import wise, Sanford, Cox, Martin, Coughler, Brandt, Pietroniro, the rest can do one, except the Brits of course.
Agreed, a lot of no-name NA college league players who aren't up to this level. Need players with top European SHL, DEL etc experience or AHL -(easy said I know) ECHL doesn't cut it. The playing standard has moved on and up and the happy clappy facebook/twitter feed nonsense is getting tiring now.

No reason why this side shouldn't have been good enough to at least win the Continental Cup this season. That was most disappointing.
Anyway still a chance to defend the playoff title and get something from this season before building for next.

(Pretty depressing being a Cardiff sports fan at present... )

lloyd_jeff

I felt that skalde was very capable. The fact that the team was respective on the pp and when we pulled the goalie showed that. I can only surmise that he was worn down by the organisation's attitudes regarding on ice performance. There is no way anyone can claim Dupont has been an upgrade, or indeed that Dupont has ticked any boxes other than, probably, being quite agreeable.

I wouldn't see Stewart or Dixon leaving their respective clubs. I think that tempting Stephen Dixon back from clan as an assistant is very doable though.
lm really interested if any of the named coaches will come and work with Todd & whether what I’ve heard is a rumour or not. There maybe some demands that I’d love to be a fly on the wall when if or when there voiced.

moggy#9

lm really interested if any of the named coaches will come and work with Todd & whether what I’ve heard is a rumour or not. There maybe some demands that I’d love to be a fly on the wall when if or when there voiced.
I think that this is the real question, isn't it? Obviously there are business constraints on what goes on with the team, but when it comes to coaching Todd and the leadership need to take a back seat - notwithstanding very clear expectations for what must be delivered.

So with dust having settled (for a couple of hours at least ), my take would be to keep and release:

Netminders
#33 Bowns 6'2 ✔️
#31 Kuzon 6'1 ❌️

Defence
#04 Louis 6'4 ✔️
#17 Richardson 6'0 ✔️
#41 Batch 6'4 ✔️
#15 Crawford 5'11 ✔️
#44 Thompson 6'1 ❌️
#18 Jardine 6'2 ❌️

Forwards
#05 Davies (C, RW) 5'8 ✔️
#16 Duggan (C, RW) 6'2 ✔️
#21 Reid (LW) 6'0 ❌️
#22 Crandall (RW) 5'11 ❌️
#63 Cox (LW, C) 5'8 ✔️
#91 Waller (LW) 5'10 ✔️
#96 Sanford (RW, C) 5'8 ✔️
#25 Brandt (RW) 5'7 ✔️
#89 Coughler (C) 6'1 ✔️
#88 Martin (C) 5'10 ✔️
#11 Brittain (LW, C) 6'5 ❌️
#90 Penny (C, LW) 6'0 ❌️
#23 Pietroniro (RW) 5'11 ✔️

Netminders
New #1 Import Goalie
33 Bowns

Defense
New Top D Pairing
15 Crawford / 17 Richie
04 Louis / 41 Batch

Forwards
New Top Line
63 Cox / 88 Martin / 96 Sanford
91 Waller / 89 Coughler / 23 Pietroniro
05 Davies / 16 Duggan / 25 Brandt

august04 2.0

We beat Sheffield, got to the final and put in a gallant effort. Nobody dare say anything disrespectful about Bowns , he was brilliant for us.
It was a tall order to beat Giants - but we gave them a scare early on!
Bowns had a very strong weekend and the score could have been ugly from the start of the second onwards tonight if he hadn’t played so well. But the Devils will not win the league title again, if Bowns is our number 1 and playing the majority of games.

In:
Brandt
Sanford
Martin
Cox
Brits
Crawford

Out:
Penny
Brittain
Crandall
Reid
Jardine
Thompson
Louis
Batch
Horn
DuPont
Kozun

Unsure: Coughler, Pietroniro
100% agree, however, definitely keep Coughler and Kozun. Also think give Pietroniro a chance from the start of the season as he showed willing and potential as a more gritty player.

We beat Sheffield, got to the final and put in a gallant effort. Nobody dare say anything disrespectful about Bowns , he was brilliant for us.
It was a tall order to beat Giants - but we gave them a scare early on!
I dare say something....... Yes he stood on his head and yes he is a CLUTCH player, however, could we sign better, as a Brit maybe not but as an import (Same/simular wages) I think we could. The benefit we have in Bowns is he is a Brit and that leaves a import slot open to play out but is he the best and most consistent in the league for simular money I don't think so.

BostonBart22

It's a given we must keep Cox, sanford and waller but if rumours are true they won't be here next season, plus we need to keep Crawford for his points production and 3 or 4 new D to work around him.

moggy#9

We simply can't keep making it assessments on who cuts the mustard based on the play offs weekend. It's a question of how players perform over the whole season.

If anything we should be asking why certain players were able to turn up for the last fortnight, yet didn't seem to care for much of the rest of it.

It the rumours of our better players leaving are true (something which the ownership would be aware of), I'm worried that the idea of tweaks to the team means that we're lumbered with the likes of Reid and Crandall.

As far as bowns goes, yes he did have a good weekend - but that was at least in part due to hide team mates actually doing their jobs defensively. Yes, he is still a good goalie, but not a championship winning one.

Mooney#16

I think the important thing is to fix what hasn’t worked this season and look where players fall into the game plan to improve these. Not just go about things in a trigger happy fashion.

Issues have been inconsistency, lack of secondary scoring, lack of defensive zone responsibility, lack of ability to play in traffic areas, mental weakness in adversity, low % special teams, lack of game changing league leading presence.

Now I’d asses most players as if they contributed significantly to these issues and if so it’s then about confidence if they can step up and improve or if they will rinse and repeat in which case you look to upgrade.

Also a few players will need to give a home town discount if they want to continue so their financial hit isn’t too restrictive on the roster and be prepared to move down the line up else they will need to be moved on also unfortunately.

Personal opinion is you keep:

Bownsey - assigned as number 2 in tandem with associated discount

Crawford - Risk and Reward player. Still improving though.

Thompson - I’m moving Louis on and I think Thompson would be a good no 5 D man. I like him but would like him to play a bit nastier and with more of a chip on his shoulder physically.

Ritchie - Solid as a rock again. Slowly moving down the pairings with age but still the best British defensive D man

Batch - Not his best season but not sure it was so bad you see him out. Question where Batchy is concerned is if you are going for a 4-2 Import/Brit split or 5/1. If Batchy is happy to be a utility guy then he’s a must keep.

Martin - Still got the 200 ft game and compete level of a champ. However his offensive execution wasn’t quite as clinical as before. I’m keeping Joey but considering he moved down one line to the 2nd.

Coughler - Really like Coughler. Brings the compete level and identity of a Devil playing a direct style. Again however he’s my third line centre.

Brandt - Does exactly what it says on the tin. Character, passion, determination. Glue guy. Sets a culture. Can be a game changer. Only getting better also.

Waller - Great player and brings a speed to the break out hard to compensate for. His finishing has also improved. Just needs to be prepared to use his speed to go into traffic and not play so peripheral and he will scare D men if he goes at them aggressively.

Davies - Classic 4th line centre. You can’t ask for much more other than maybe a bit more scoring. Great PK player also.

Duggan - I want to see Duggy establish his style as a player. He tries to be a complete player but sometimes that appears to introduce doubt. Would just like to see him do things with more authority but again hugely valuable on 4th line.

The only two I’m then on the fence with is Cox and Sanford. If they want to stay then they need to do so on the second line. They are very good and play well together but also do exactly that and sometimes just play together ignoring others on the ice. They also kind of epitomise the teams inconsistency where they can score in bunches and then go missing.

The huge challenge is managing the budget as Belfast can clearly beat everyone in league financially so you need a lot of players to buy in with their contracts which in the EIHL is very hard. And even harder with a major roster overhaul.

jenks33

I think the important thing is to fix what hasn’t worked this season and look where players fall into the game plan to improve these. Not just go about things in a trigger happy fashion.

Issues have been inconsistency, lack of secondary scoring, lack of defensive zone responsibility, lack of ability to play in traffic areas, mental weakness in adversity, low % special teams, lack of game changing league leading presence.

Now I’d asses most players as if they contributed significantly to these issues and if so it’s then about confidence if they can step up and improve or if they will rinse and repeat in which case you look to upgrade.

Also a few players will need to give a home town discount if they want to continue so their financial hit isn’t too restrictive on the roster and be prepared to move down the line up else they will need to be moved on also unfortunately.

Personal opinion is you keep:

Bownsey - assigned as number 2 in tandem with associated discount

Crawford - Risk and Reward player. Still improving though.

Thompson - I’m moving Louis on and I think Thompson would be a good no 5 D man. I like him but would like him to play a bit nastier and with more of a chip on his shoulder physically.

Ritchie - Solid as a rock again. Slowly moving down the pairings with age but still the best British defensive D man

Batch - Not his best season but not sure it was so bad you see him out. Question where Batchy is concerned is if you are going for a 4-2 Import/Brit split or 5/1. If Batchy is happy to be a utility guy then he’s a must keep.

Martin - Still got the 200 ft game and compete level of a champ. However his offensive execution wasn’t quite as clinical as before. I’m keeping Joey but considering he moved down one line to the 2nd.

Coughler - Really like Coughler. Brings the compete level and identity of a Devil playing a direct style. Again however he’s my third line centre.

Brandt - Does exactly what it says on the tin. Character, passion, determination. Glue guy. Sets a culture. Can be a game changer. Only getting better also.

Waller - Great player and brings a speed to the break out hard to compensate for. His finishing has also improved. Just needs to be prepared to use his speed to go into traffic and not play so peripheral and he will scare D men if he goes at them aggressively.

Davies - Classic 4th line centre. You can’t ask for much more other than maybe a bit more scoring. Great PK player also.

Duggan - I want to see Duggy establish his style as a player. He tries to be a complete player but sometimes that appears to introduce doubt. Would just like to see him do things with more authority but again hugely valuable on 4th line.

The only two I’m then on the fence with is Cox and Sanford. If they want to stay then they need to do so on the second line. They are very good and play well together but also do exactly that and sometimes just play together ignoring others on the ice. They also kind of epitomise the teams inconsistency where they can score in bunches and then go missing.

The huge challenge is managing the budget as Belfast can clearly beat everyone in league financially so you need a lot of players to buy in with their contracts which in the EIHL is very hard. And even harder with a major roster overhaul.
Great point regarding Cox and Sanford. I’m sure a lot of people will be shaking their head but I’ve never been convinced we will win the league with those two on our top line. Don’t get me wrong they are very skilful/entertaining players but there are question marks about their 200ft game (particularly Sanford) and I also have doubts about their mental strength to grind out wins every weekend. I appreciate that sounds very harsh but the EIHL is a unique league where the league title is the big one so consistency and character is huge. I’ll never forget last summer when a former EIHL player tweeted that he didn’t like the format in the UK where there was a home and away game every weekend and the league title was the main trophy. Both Cox and Sanford liked the tweet which didn’t fill me with confidence…
As you said, I’m happy to have them on our 2nd line (if they’re happy with that) but let’s recruit a proper first line that tick all the boxes.

For me we’ve also never really replaced under the radar players like Morissette, Bentivoglio, Ulmer .200ft players that enjoyed the challenge of having to turn up every weekend. If they weren’t scoring points you knew their defensive game would be spot on. Brittain and Penny have been a disappointment.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Great point regarding Cox and Sanford. I’m sure a lot of people will be shaking their head but I’ve never been convinced we will win the league with those two on our top line. Don’t get me wrong they are very skilful/entertaining players but there are question marks about their 200ft game (particularly Sanford) and I also have doubts about their mental strength to grind out wins every weekend. I appreciate that sounds very harsh but the EIHL is a unique league where the league title is the big one so consistency and character is huge. I’ll never forget last summer when a former EIHL player tweeted that he didn’t like the format in the UK where there was a home and away game every weekend and the league title was the main trophy. Both Cox and Sanford liked the tweet which didn’t fill me with confidence…
As you said, I’m happy to have them on our 2nd line (if they’re happy with that) but let’s recruit a proper first line that tick all the boxes.

For me we’ve also never really replaced under the radar players like Morissette, Bentivoglio, Ulmer .200ft players that enjoyed the challenge of having to turn up every weekend. If they weren’t scoring points you knew their defensive game would be spot on. Brittain and Penny have been a disappointment.
The thing about Cox and Sanford is that the reason they're on our top line is because the players recruited for that purpose (Reid and Crandall) are so bloody useless.

jenks33

The thing about Cox and Sanford is that the reason they're on our top line is because the players recruited for that purpose (Reid and Crandall) are so bloody useless.
Fair. Particularly Reid. Has there ever been such a one trick pony that has played for the Devils? Take away that one timer (which was lethal at the beginning of last season to be fair) and he brings absolutely nothing else.

moggy#9

Fair. Particularly Reid. Has there ever been such a one trick pony that has played for the Devils? Take away that one timer (which was lethal at the beginning of last season to be fair) and he brings absolutely nothing else.
There were times at the weekend that I want sure he was playing, such was his lack of contribution - yet when I looked more closely he was still out there in all situations.