This team

jenks33

There were times at the weekend that I want sure he was playing, such was his lack of contribution - yet when I looked more closely he was still out there in all situations.
His skating, vision and defensive game all really poor. I know you don’t expect the best at this level but for a player that played in the AHL and the EBEL I expected better. Just all about that one timer and if you nullify that then there’s nothing else.

E.D.S.

I've been really underwhelmed at times with Cox and Sanford but when you look at it they have been double shifting at times and really 'beasted' due to the lack of secondary scoring. There is so much pressure on them to perform. I do wonder what their game would look like if we have more zonal time and their shifts weren't built on living off scraps. Those two guys skating on for their shift in the offensive zone rather than chasing shadows defending is a totally different concept. The amount of time our 1st line dump the puck for a change as they are knackered from doing the dirty work, just isn't effective use of their time. Add in a non existent second line, it's not difficult to see why they may be haven't been as impactful as they should be - saying all of that... they still put up decent numbers.

Joey Martin is again playing with immense heart and desire. Just a role model of a two way game but again... I'd be so interested to see where Joey spends the bulk of his shift time. It certainly appears to be defending.

Crawford - Yes I know I'm not a fan but for me he has to go. He was exposed hugely this weekend, again. I want his numbers shared throughout the team. There are arguments to say that he's young and if you pair him up properly with a Strachan type player they may sort him out but his distribution is woeful and he simply can't defend. He gets Defenceman of the Year due to his points but the guy cannot defend.

That was a great summary from Mooney "Issues have been inconsistency, lack of secondary scoring, lack of defensive zone responsibility, lack of ability to play in traffic areas, mental weakness in adversity, low % special teams, lack of game changing league leading presence"... that's a lot to fix but it needs fixing. I just can't ever foresee an experienced coach allowing that volume of very obvious issues to build without being able to fix them. We need an experienced coach and we will be getting one.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

I think the important thing is to fix what hasn’t worked this season and look where players fall into the game plan to improve these. Not just go about things in a trigger happy fashion.

Issues have been inconsistency, lack of secondary scoring, lack of defensive zone responsibility, lack of ability to play in traffic areas, mental weakness in adversity, low % special teams, lack of game changing league leading presence.

Now I’d asses most players as if they contributed significantly to these issues and if so it’s then about confidence if they can step up and improve or if they will rinse and repeat in which case you look to upgrade.

Also a few players will need to give a home town discount if they want to continue so their financial hit isn’t too restrictive on the roster and be prepared to move down the line up else they will need to be moved on also unfortunately.

Personal opinion is you keep:

Bownsey - assigned as number 2 in tandem with associated discount

Crawford - Risk and Reward player. Still improving though.

Thompson - I’m moving Louis on and I think Thompson would be a good no 5 D man. I like him but would like him to play a bit nastier and with more of a chip on his shoulder physically.

Ritchie - Solid as a rock again. Slowly moving down the pairings with age but still the best British defensive D man

Batch - Not his best season but not sure it was so bad you see him out. Question where Batchy is concerned is if you are going for a 4-2 Import/Brit split or 5/1. If Batchy is happy to be a utility guy then he’s a must keep.

Martin - Still got the 200 ft game and compete level of a champ. However his offensive execution wasn’t quite as clinical as before. I’m keeping Joey but considering he moved down one line to the 2nd.

Coughler - Really like Coughler. Brings the compete level and identity of a Devil playing a direct style. Again however he’s my third line centre.

Brandt - Does exactly what it says on the tin. Character, passion, determination. Glue guy. Sets a culture. Can be a game changer. Only getting better also.

Waller - Great player and brings a speed to the break out hard to compensate for. His finishing has also improved. Just needs to be prepared to use his speed to go into traffic and not play so peripheral and he will scare D men if he goes at them aggressively.

Davies - Classic 4th line centre. You can’t ask for much more other than maybe a bit more scoring. Great PK player also.

Duggan - I want to see Duggy establish his style as a player. He tries to be a complete player but sometimes that appears to introduce doubt. Would just like to see him do things with more authority but again hugely valuable on 4th line.

The only two I’m then on the fence with is Cox and Sanford. If they want to stay then they need to do so on the second line. They are very good and play well together but also do exactly that and sometimes just play together ignoring others on the ice. They also kind of epitomise the teams inconsistency where they can score in bunches and then go missing.

The huge challenge is managing the budget as Belfast can clearly beat everyone in league financially so you need a lot of players to buy in with their contracts which in the EIHL is very hard. And even harder with a major roster overhaul.
Good post, agree with most. I’ve been saying for months that Cox and Sanford seem to get a free pass, wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they went elsewhere, their contribution is far too inconsistent to win league titles.

Mooney#16

Don’t get me wrong they would make an awesome second line punch and fix some of the secondary scoring if they are backing up a dominant first line. But they are not a league winning first line and if they want first line minutes and money tough decisions will need to be made.

I do think we have to be careful with our words when describing the team. Some on here are very vitriolic and the truth is they weren’t that bad a team or that far off. Cox and Sanford for example certainly tried their best so I’m not digging them out. Crawford clearly does have talent putting up those numbers and that +\-. But the question is about standard and consistency and if that’s good enough for what Devils need to over come Giants not necessarily venting frustration and saying some rather harsh comments to guys who have just played for the badge for 8 months.

E.D.S.

I think we had decent 1st line forwards, poor second line forwards, non existent power forward and an outstanding crop of 3rd and 4th line with Davies, Duggan, Waller, Brandt and Chad. You're right though Mooney, it's not a huge overhaul required but there are some big positions that need filling and I do feel, that we need some size for puck retention and net front presence.

august04 2.0

Don’t get me wrong they would make an awesome second line punch and fix some of the secondary scoring if they are backing up a dominant first line. But they are not a league winning first line and if they want first line minutes and money tough decisions will need to be made.

I do think we have to be careful with our words when describing the team. Some on here are very vitriolic and the truth is they weren’t that bad a team or that far off. Cox and Sanford for example certainly tried their best so I’m not digging them out. Crawford clearly does have talent putting up those numbers and that +\-. But the question is about standard and consistency and if that’s good enough for what Devils need to over come Giants not necessarily venting frustration and saying some rather harsh comments to guys who have just played for the badge for 8 months.
Cox and Sanford were the second line punch last season, they still were too inconsistent then as well, until Coughler appeared. They started this year as our second unit too, and only became the premier scoring line after the woeful performances of Reid, Crandall, Penny etc. I have reservations about their contribution over the long haul of a season where every game matters but you’re right, in tandem with them, we need so much better from our so called “first line”, which needs a complete overhaul for next season.

Good post, agree with most. I’ve been saying for months that Cox and Sanford seem to get a free pass, wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they went elsewhere, their contribution is far too inconsistent to win league titles.
so where do you see their goals coming from in the current squad, as i cant see any other players doing what they have done. if i had faith in others doing that, then i would agree with you.

Kevlar68

I'm not going to get frustrated, annoyed or pissed off with this team as it really isn't worth stressing over.
This team is history, for me out of all the years i have watched the Devils play they have been the most boring one dimensional team out of all our teams.
I have absolute faith in the Devils Org. and still think they are the best ownership we have had and wouldn't be without them.
So now i will leave my opinions for the next team we have and see how our structure and signings go.
I myself would like to see nearly half the team replaced (not going to name names) and a new coaching set up.
ROLL ON SEASON 2023/34!

jenks33

so where do you see their goals coming from in the current squad, as i cant see any other players doing what they have done. if i had faith in others doing that, then i would agree with you.
In the current squad? Well let’s be honest I think Reid, Crandall, Brittain, Penny will all leave so add Cox and Sanford to that then you would be relying on new players. If Cox and Sanford left then you certainly wouldn’t be relying on players from the current squad to step up. We would sign replacements

Last edited:

rocketbob

Just a thought. What would people think about Jamie Elson coming back as our head coach next year? He knows the league and the Devils. Has been a significant part of winning cups with the Devils. Knows the work ethic and the player and coach commitment required and has head coaching experience.

And he also knows what a successful powerplay is.

august04 2.0

Just a thought. What would people think about Jamie Elson coming back as our head coach next year? He knows the league and the Devils. Has been a significant part of winning cups with the Devils. Knows the work ethic and the player and coach commitment required and has head coaching experience.

And he also knows what a successful powerplay is.
Head coach?! Absolutely not.

Here we go then

I would keep

Bownsy

Richardson
Batch
Crawford

Pietroniro
Crandall (on right line just feel he would do well)
Martin
Davies
Waller
Duggan

Can't see Coughler,Cox and Sanford re signing unfortunately

I think we had decent 1st line forwards, poor second line forwards, non existent power forward and an outstanding crop of 3rd and 4th line with Davies, Duggan, Waller, Brandt and Chad. You're right though Mooney, it's not a huge overhaul required but there are some big positions that need filling and I do feel, that we need some size for puck retention and net front presence.
For me I would want more from my third line than a new Center to play between Waller plus one of the other wingers listed.
As much effort and energy plus versatility Chad brings I’d like to see more size and offensive output from the other winger to complement Waller plus maybe Coughler as Mooney said as a third line Center.
Davies, Duggan and Brandt is a great fourth line but I can only see room for one import spot between Chad and Brandt.

Is the import quota still 14 next year or 15 and how does that affect Brit numbers if it goes up??

For me I would want more from my third line than a new Center to play between Waller plus one of the other wingers listed.
As much effort and energy plus versatility Chad brings I’d like to see more size and offensive output from the other winger to complement Waller plus maybe Coughler as Mooney said as a third line Center.
Davies, Duggan and Brandt is a great fourth line but I can only see room for one import spot between Chad and Brandt.

Is the import quota still 14 next year or 15 and how does that affect Brit numbers if it goes up??

Think it's going to be 15 imports next year.

august04 2.0

I agree that it's got to be either Brandt or Pietronero, they’re too similar in style and stature to keep both next year for me.

Earnie

After the POFW there are normally a big armful of rumours from around the league. This year there seems to be very little indeed. Just a couple on here here perusing their agenda.