This Friday's Sky Game - Giants V Steelers

Thread starter #1
Hi guys,

Just to let you know we will be showing the game this Friday @ The Pilot.

We will also be running our Winter Warmers Menu on the night, choose from 8 meals for just £3.95

For those of you who want to make a night of it, our live Band this week is THE SIDE EFFECTS who will start around 9.15pm

I like the idea of the game being shown live, nice to see some british ice hockey on the telly live but will they ever do a Devils game? Probably not unless it's against Steelers in their rink.

Thread starter #3
We have already had a huge row with SKY over this, last year showed 9 Games, this years slashed to 4 (inc Play Off Final) so only 3 League Games! Worth our £750 month subscription!!! Not!!! :evil:

9 games last year wasn't enough so cutting it down to 4 is crazy! Why most games can't be show on TV is beyond me. They want more UK fans? Get it on TV!

TheStub

Re: Re: This Friday's Sky Game - Giants V Steelers

helloimclaire said:
9 games last year wasn't enough so cutting it down to 4 is crazy! Why most games can't be show on TV is beyond me. They want more UK fans? Get it on TV!
It costs money to televise a game, and it has make the return over whatever Sky could air in the same slot.

We have to prove to Sky (or preferably the BBC :lol: ) that they should give hockey better billing. I don't help - I can't bring myself to pay for Sky just for the Elite Highlights Show.

SKY are just wanting more money out of everyone, I'm guessing someone heard about the Formula One broadcast for the next season? It was insane.
It would be lovely if BBC starts broadcasting ice hockey but I'm guessing people prefer to watch Strictly Come Dancing and Antiques Roadshow on Saturday and Sundays.
I love that there is a Elite League Highlights show on Friday's, just a shame it's not more than that like live shows.

Seems simple in principle, but what you need to remember is what contract the EIHL have with Sky? And just how much are Sky charging the EIHL for showing the live shows? I know a few years ago it was a crazy amount for what the clubs got back in return.

With the cut backs to the BBC they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole however I would suggest that if games could be edited to a high standard ITV4 maybe interested but that would be a long shot.

On a side note I'm amazed that British basketball gets a two hour slot of Sky every week!

In adition Claire, it has been public knowledge within motor sport that if it was not for Sky stepping in to help the BBC out there would be NO F1 on Sky so don't knock Sky for that.

What we can all laugh at though if we want to do some Sky bashing is the fact that Frank Warrens Box Nation has been such a success Sky has had to take Khan off PPV and bring him and Boxing back to standard Sky Sports, so that's proof that Sky don't have it all their own way! Just a shame no one has a few spare millions to start hockey nation up now! HAHA

Finny

helloimclaire said:
The reason there haven't been any live games yet this season, is because Sky insisted the live games this year had to be in HD.
Televideo who produce the Sky show have only just been able to get HD equipment - I think we were originally scheduled in to play Nottingham at home on SKy on a Friday night at the start of November.

Finny

getmeabeer said:
Seems simple in principle, but what you need to remember is what contract the EIHL have with Sky? And just how much are Sky charging the EIHL for showing the live shows? I know a few years ago it was a crazy amount for what the clubs got back in return.
I believe that Sky now pay 90% of the production costs. The remaining 10% is paid by the show sponsors Rapid Solicitors.

Finny said:
I believe that Sky now pay 90% of the production costs. The remaining 10% is paid by the show sponsors Rapid Solicitors.
If that is true that's amazing! It was suggested that at one point the EIHL where stumping up over 95% of costs! And that the Sky Bill was almost double of that of NASN's? So in theory, if true, the EIHL would be 100K better off this year than last year, (minus inflation?)

steve

Wow congratulations officials on missing a blatant overtime offside live on sky. Apparently aaron clark took carson out after the goal!!

Typical really.

Aren't they able to look back at the replay and take their win back? They should do I reckon, Legue's face at the end knew he got away with that too.

Carson's getting as bad as Darnell! :DWD

Chris

Administrator
It's not Carsons job to call an offside though is it? I thought that was purely down to the linesmen?

If they don't call it, what can he actually do?

TheStub

A ref can call an offside if missed. Any of the officials on the I've can.

Trouble with video review is our complete lack of rules around it. In the NHL they wouldn't review it - no call on the ice so nothing to pull back.

I'd be worried if they did review it. We can't have video review at any other games, so it would be unfair to make game (and potentially league position) changing decisions based on video. It should be all or none.

pretty gutted TBH but a points a point, you have to take the decisions and get on with it.
What annoys me is finny trying to say it was a good goal

Well with some of the blatant missed calls there should be reviews with play backs at the game, I'm guessing all games have action-replay? If not, get the Elite to make sure all teams do because sometimes it's ridiculous how the refs 'miss calls'