Support Bownsy

Hedd Wyn John

Tagging players on twitter is a scumbag move. As august04 2.0 said I’m not sure I’d be on twitter if I was a professional sportsman but it’s still very poor to tag them.

Some people will disagree but I’ve always felt criticism on here is different. It’s very easy to ignore the inferno and I would never come on here if I was a player. Every sports forum is going to have some very strong opinions so probably best for players to stay away. Twitter and Facebook are different though.
The Inferno is a fan forum, if we can't criticise the team or a players' performance on here where can we do it?

Some people for whatever reason don't think there should any criticism of the team whatsoever & it's silly.

Abuse is different but some people conflate the two and that's not right.

Do we have to meet round the back of the bike sheds just so we can vent our frustration at the powerplay or about silly mistakes player X made?

People say the inferno is toxic but its just fans giving honest opinions. I've criticised players on here & I've praised players. I was wrong about Matt Register last year and I'd take him back in a heartbeat this year.

Fans often get things wrong but often we get things right.

I wouldn't abuse a player online or target them on social media and nor should anyone else.

Most fans are sensible enough & dont dont that. I just think we're onto another twitter storm in a teacup here.

E.D.S.

The Inferno is a fan forum, if we can't criticise the team or a players' performance on here where can we do it?

Some people for whatever reason don't think there should any criticism of the team whatsoever & it's silly.

Abuse is different but some people conflate the two and that's not right.

Do we have to meet round the back of the bike sheds just so we can vent our frustration at the powerplay or about silly mistakes player X made?

People say the inferno is toxic but its just fans giving honest opinions. I've criticised players on here & I've praised players. I was wrong about Matt Register last year and I'd take him back in a heartbeat this year.

Fans often get things wrong but often we get things right.

I wouldn't abuse a player online or target them on social media and nor should anyone else.

Most fans are sensible enough & dont dont that. I just think we're onto another twitter storm in a teacup here.
Amen to that.

It's the virtue signalling few that make it so damn hard to raise a point, discuss it and move on with the calls of "meltdown" or we're all being unreasonable, poor fans, disgusting. So many people on here have the maturity and emotional intelligence to have a discussion and be proved wrong and be absolutely fine with it.... then the usual clowns come on and inflate it. This is not a toxic place. It's difficult at times and spoiled by the minority - who you can block/ignore anyway.

Diablo3

Players are told not to come on here as they will probably read things they don't want to. At our worst we aren't as bad as Twitter.
The thing is, on here there are comments about players, but they are not tagged in. Twitter seems to attract keyboard warriors that were they face to face with the players, would probably do a Connolly.

Then you get the opposition fans trawling through inferno and cut/pasting what they see here on Twitter with the usual Devils fans in meltdown comments.

James

Administrator
Then you get the opposition fans trawling through inferno and cut/pasting what they see here on Twitter with the usual Devils fans in meltdown comments.
Not just the opposing fans. There's a number of Devils fans on Twitter who hate this forum that will jump on the chance to illustrate how terrible it is on here, usually by posting a screenshot of an unpopular comment out of context of the rest of the forum saying how wrong said comment is :D

Swarley

Not just the opposing fans. There's a number of Devils fans on Twitter who hate this forum that will jump on the chance to illustrate how terrible it is on here, usually by posting a screenshot of an unpopular comment out of context of the rest of the forum saying how wrong said comment is :D
This forum might have its flaws with a few toxic members but compared to twitter this place is squeaky clean!

Hedd Wyn John

The thing is, on here there are comments about players, but they are not tagged in. Twitter seems to attract keyboard warriors that were they face to face with the players, would probably do a Connolly.

The thing is, it's not even about Tagging players in. (Which I agree is wrong)

There are people on twitter basically saying no players names or positions should be mentioned in a critical tweet and that its basically bullying.

dave

Todd has come of twitter as well, It's just not he tagging as mentioned, it's the personal messages sent etc. Some I have seen are just beyond the line and then some. Vast majority would take what is written on here as not the worse but it is also an echo chamber so say five people say "x" then suddenly that "X" is the "majority of fans" think according that "x" to some people, but it really is not the case. Then that belief of "x" gets ingrained. Hope that makes sense, I know its a lot of "x"'s

moggy#9

Players are told not to come on here as they will probably read things they don't want to. At our worst we aren't as bad as Twitter.
It's somewhat ironic that certain people on Twitter like to spew forth criticism of genuine debate on here. We're used to seeing the occasional person on here who hasn't progressed being the school yard, but Twitter is horrible.

Pondlife

If people are sending abusive direct/personal messages to TK or players then that's beyond the pale. I hope he finds out who they are and bans them from IAW.

It's amazing how many people think they're totally anonymous online but who then post identifiable information/use the same user/email address.

I know you can't get someone's IP from a tweet/DM but if you ever click on a link to a devils controlled website they have it.

lloyd_jeff

I guess the great thing about the Inferno is it’s better controlled and moderated, unlike Social Media. I’ve always had the attitude that if something l pay for is no longer value for money or I’ve lost interest I’d simply stop. The world though is full of strange people & social media is perfect place for them. It’s toxic & is getting worse.

drainage

Shocking behaviour, glad I don't do twitter or Facebook, it could be fans from another club winding him up, not good is it .
There probab
Most of the forum don't want bowns here.

Its only facts.

I understand there is a fine line though And hopefully who ever it is get punished
Bit of a exaggeration there. No one on here has said Bowns is not wanted here. There's only be expressions about who should start and their opinions why, get it right if your going to comment.
I have seen comments suggesting he shouldnt be here so the post is accurate but interesting you think someone shouldn’t comment about something? Eith
3000 Devils fans turn up at IAW most weekends, looking at Cardiff Devils social media followers there's like 30K facebook followers, on twitter 53K followers. Granted there's no way of actually saying how many of those are actually fans but I will say there are at least several thousand Devils fans on social media even if they only attend games here or there.

So when you're talking about abuse- yes it's wrong but it's a tiny minority of fans. People go on twitter and they might see 2 or 3 mean tweets and the reaction is as if Devils twitter is a cesspool of abuse against players when it really is a small minority.

Will Devils fans go on online and vent frustration after a poor performance? Yes they will. & it's the same for any sports team out there. Will it stop? No.

Should players be abused? Heck no, but let's not conflate two different things.

Some people seem to think any criticism of the team on social media is verboten and is akin to abuse when it isn't & nor should it be.
I wasn’t aware I used the word abuse ? I was replying to someone suggesting fake accts could be part of the problem. I have no issue with criticism of a game but it’s needs to be balanced and fair. At the moment Bownsy is being castigated with no one thinking the defence and offence have a part to play in results. It’s definitely more than 2 or 3 tweets !

is it a small minority ? More than likely but players should never feel that they have to leave SM , forums etc I don’t think Ben is a fragile little flower so clearly he’s been pushed to far ?

E.D.S.

There probab

I have seen comments suggesting he shouldnt be here so the post is accurate but interesting you think someone shouldn’t comment about something? Eith

I wasn’t aware I used the word abuse ? I was replying to someone suggesting fake accts could be part of the problem. I have no issue with criticism of a game but it’s needs to be balanced and fair. At the moment Bownsy is being castigated with no one thinking the defence and offence have a part to play in results. It’s definitely more than 2 or 3 tweets !

is it a small minority ? More than likely but players should never feel that they have to leave SM , forums etc I don’t think Ben is a fragile little flower so clearly he’s been pushed to far ?
But again “castigating Bowns and no one thinking the defence and offence have a part to play in it” simply isn’t true. So many comments on here have referenced that defensively we’ve struggled and Bowns has faced more shots than he should and plenty have talked about the offence lacking ideas. To say “no one” makes this a toxic place. Full of clueless people who just want a pound of flesh. That isn’t the case at all.

Kevlar68

I have seen comments suggesting he shouldnt be here so the post is accurate but interesting you think someone shouldn’t comment about something?
A comment suggesting Bowns shouldn't be here is completely different to actually stating "WE don't want bownsy here", suggesting is to consider such as "Maybe we shouldn't have signed Bownsy?".
As for me thinking someone shouldn't comment about something i think you read that wrong, i said "get it right if your going to comment" NOT "you shouldn't comment" again completely different.
The statement they made was "Most of the forum don't want Bowns here", 2809 members, find me a dozen who have actually said they don't want Bowns here, if you find 12 would you say that's most of the forum?
I myself was disappointed when we signed Bownsy back not because he's rubbish as he's not but we had had Carruth who i believe was better.
But i would never say about any player "He's not wanted here".

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

If someone sees a tweet or social media post that's out of order then call it out there & then.

A lot of what we're seeing online now are vague and generic criticisms of posts other people have written which they've seen, but there's no specifics.

That doesn't solve the issue.

If RandomDevilsfan is online abusing player X on twitter then call it out.

NathanG

I love this forum. I check it daily. For example, every day for the past 4 years I've signed in on here. I come come on here for Devils gossip and to see what other Devils fans think of the team, recent performances etc. Its a daily thing for me and others. It's a great place to be even though I don't contribute as much as other members.

Everyones opinion is valued which isn't the case on Twitter. We all want the same thing, a Cardiff Devils team that is successful! We all live and breath the Devil's. Especially Wannabe (Glynn) who I'm yet to meet in person. We all want the Devil's to be competing, hitting, winning etc. We all share a common goal!

i love you all and your opinions. Let's go devils!

I only ever post when I've had a few, much like this eve.

Thread starter #37
So guys, I started this thread for one reason which I’ll come to. First I have to see that I too love visiting The Inferno and understand that, as with everything there are always going to be small minorities that abuse the system. I find the vast majority here to be true and loyal Devils fans with the right to an opinion. Long live The Inferno and all credit to the administrators who have kept this alive for many years.
Now to the point: whether a players is having a good run or a bad run or makes a few mistakes, there is absolutely no call for abuse of the human being and his family. I have always felt welcome as a Devils fan and hate the fact that a legend like Bownsy does not feel welcome anymore. Ben Bowns has been a big part of the Devils success since 2014. However we rate him as a goaltender he is still a human being (and a very decent one at that). So guys, let’s join together tomorrow night and let Bownsy know that he’s not alone. Everyone should be welcome within our great club. So let stand, clap and chant for Bownsy when he’s announced.

ASHIPP

I absolutely detest many social media platforms like facebook and twitter.

They allow the facility to boost a person's confidence....and destroy it just as quickly.
These platforms allow exposure to bullying and malice, they allow individuals consumed with all sorts of vileness to hide behind keyboards and false identities without any redress.

The scurge of society, harbouring the scum of society. Best place for them is SWITCHED OFF.

Slartibartfast

The sad thing is Ben experienced abuse last time he was here. I don't know him personally but he seems like a nice gentle guy. He should not have to put up with that. Its good that the culprit has apologised but this is the problem with pissed posting. The damage is already done. Maybe like the anti drink drive campaign we should have a anti pissed posting campaign.