Stone joins Wildcats

drainage

HC42 said:
Personally I think 7 9 14 19 and 35 all deserve to be there and that 10 has to be the next one. I don't think its too many, I think we have it spot on, no more, no less.

But I guess this is not the time to be having that discussion. The fact is that Stoney has been the most incredible servant of our club and deserves his shirt hanging from the rafters as much if not more than anyone else.

Surely it has to happen!
agreed !

I think 21 years service for one club should have the recognition it deserves - it will be a long time before we are likely to see that achievement again.

As for the others - 9 Lawless for bringing the sport here and making us such a successful club (the heady days of late 80s/early 90s) is worthy of its position. Virtually a founding father

7 and 19 - 2 of the best players we ever saw on these shores irrespective of team

35 - as with Stoney his commitment to the Devils on and off ice makes it worthy (although I agree we couldnt have know his enduring Cardiff career off ice at the time)

14 to remember a man who passed away tragically young

I suspect going forward the awarding of this honour will be rarer and therefore the numbers and likelihood of an issue remote.

All else fails we we have to change team name and reintroduce the numbers!!

ASHIPP

Whilst I agree that retiring Jason's shirt eventually would be a very fitting gesture for such commitment, hard work and loyalty to the Devils, I do not believe that it is more deserving than those numbers already retired. We are talking there about players whose ability, not in some small way, raised the bar of British ice hockey at the time and whose individual contribution could be singled out as bringing success and attention to the Cardiff Devils in the past. Bit like the amazing R Shudra - whose number has only just been retired by the Steelers.

And Stoney isn't the perfect role model for all young Brit kids to show that you can make it in the sport!?!

Stoney brought on the game of many players in the League today, Jonna, Phil hill, Joe Miller and Matty Myers to name a handful.
The league was a lot more skilled than when jason started playing for the team and he has improved and adapted everytime the pace and skill level has stepped up. Mentally he is a warrior who despises losing and will go through the pain barrier to put his body on the line for the Devils crest. look how many injuries he has had and played on/come back early so as the team didn't suffer.

There is no question in my head that the Number 10 should be hung from the rafters, I agree that maybe it should wait until Stoney officially retires for good though.

Jason "OX" Stone, cut him open and read cardiff Devils all the way through for 21 long hard years!

The question is... How would you feel being the next to wear number 10.
:shock: Pressure...

Should be up there in my opinion, well deserved too. Not necessarily now tho, maybe when he final retires fully.

ASHIPP

D21 said:
And Stoney isn't the perfect role model for all young Brit kids to show that you can make it in the sport!?!

There is no question in my head that the Number 10 should be hung from the rafters, I agree that maybe it should wait until Stoney officially retires for good though.

Jason "OX" Stone, cut him open and read cardiff Devils all the way through for 21 long hard years!
No question in my head about retiring his shirt either, D21 - we all agree Jason is certainly worthy of it as an excellent role model. But the other retired numbers deserved their status for varying reasons too. :cool: