Stone joins Wildcats

Rempel16

Who's taking bets on us playing a pre-season friendly aginast the Wildcats to retire Jason's jersey (deservedly too)?

All the best Jason, would certainly have been a season too far in my opinion.

Rempel16 said:
Who's taking bets on us playing a pre-season friendly aginast the Wildcats to retire Jason's jersey (deservedly too)?
It really would be the end of an era, hope they do retire his jersey.

Best of luck, thanks for everything.

TheStub

Really good news. I think Jason has looked a little out of his depth in the EIHL for the last season or two. This move will allow him to help develop the younger players coming up, without making him just a bench warmer because "Stoney has to be a Devil".

Nice to see him continue playing, and hopefully is the start of another long run in his career ;)

Diafol

Best wishes to Stoney at his new club. The pre-season jersey retirement is a fantastic idea, I hope the club have started the ball rolling with that already.

draig-goch said:
Rempel16 said:
It really would be the end of an era, hope they do retire his jersey.

Best of luck, thanks for everything.

that would show the utmost respect for his service for the devils. i think that is the best way to see stoney off.

Best of luck to him, super nice guy too

If 21 years service doesn't deserve your jersey being retired i don't know what does, good to see he's continuing his hockey career.
What better way to finish your Professional career than with a testimonial, a spot on penarth bridge and your jersey being retired.
Good luck with swindon stoney and thanks for the years of great service to the team :)

Ocko

Without taken any credit away from the players who have had their jerseys retired; I think we retire jerseys a bit too easily. We already have 7, 9, 14, 19 and 35 retired that is quite a big amount for a club quite so junior in hockey history terms. I have just been watching the Hershey Bears in the AHL and they only retired 4 numbers in a 80 year history, 3 of them being retired for 2 players. Had we not already had 6 numbers retired I would say he would definitely deserve that recognition but to have 7 retired jerseys in only 24 years is too much IMO.

I think it would be unfair to stoney to not retire his jersey just because maybe its been done too freely in the past, like i said if 21 years doesn't deserve it, what exactly does??

Ocko

nmase20 said:
I think it would be unfair to stoney to not retire his jersey just because maybe its been done too freely in the past, like i said if 21 years doesn't deserve it, what exactly does??
But why the rush to retire his jersey the season after he leaves us? Why not when he retires completely or at a later date (new arena / possible induction to the British Hockey Hall of Fame?) there arent many occasions in other leagues where jerseys are retired straight away alot has to do with legacy and how people will view contributions in years to come.

Rempel16

Ocko said:
Without taken any credit away from the players who have had their jerseys retired; I think we retire jerseys a bit too easily. We already have 7, 9, 14, 19 and 35 retired that is quite a big amount for a club quite so junior in hockey history terms. I have just been watching the Hershey Bears in the AHL and they only retired 4 numbers in a 80 year history, 3 of them being retired for 2 players. Had we not already had 6 numbers retired I would say he would definitely deserve that recognition but to have 7 retired jerseys in only 24 years is too much IMO.
usually I would agree. However, 21 years is nigh on unheard of in most sport and we should be acknowledging that.

HC42

Personally I think 7 9 14 19 and 35 all deserve to be there and that 10 has to be the next one. I don't think its too many, I think we have it spot on, no more, no less.

But I guess this is not the time to be having that discussion. The fact is that Stoney has been the most incredible servant of our club and deserves his shirt hanging from the rafters as much if not more than anyone else.

Surely it has to happen!

I know this is going to upset a few people but i'm going to say it anyway. Stoney has played with every single Devils player who has their number retired,has made more appearances than them all,has won more trophies than them all and been a better servant than each and every one of them. I'm not suggesting for a second that these players don't deserve to have their jerseys retired,because they do, but all i'm saying is that stoney deserves, more than any of the already retired jerseys, to have his retired!!!!!

DevilDom

A question a little off topic - If a jersery is retired is that it forever?

I would have thought some of the North Amercian teams would be getting to the point where they are running out of numbers that's all.

By the way I think Stone's Jersey should be retired - 21 years service is testament to the man.

DevilDom said:
A question a little off topic - If a jersey is retired is that it forever?
It is, only the retiree (is that a word?!) can wear it.
I've seen it happen once in the 02-03 season where Doug McEwan wore his #7 in the Coca-cola Bowl series against the Panthers (i think it was called that anyway!)

kettdevil1

DevilDom said:
A question a little off topic - If a jersery is retired is that it forever?

I would have thought some of the North Amercian teams would be getting to the point where they are running out of numbers that's all.

By the way I think Stone's Jersey should be retired - 21 years service is testament to the man.
This may be wandering a little bit O/T but I know there are a few NFL teams that have adopted a policy of never retiring numbers no matter what the circumstances are. I believe that the Oakland Raiders are a good example of this policy.

I'm with DevilDom, number 10 should be up in the rafters

I absolutely agree that Jason's jersey should be retired. It comes to something when Cardiff Council of all people are prepared to honour him but the club he's served for 21 years aren't at least planning a shirt retirement. In my opinion it's a poor show if no mention is made of it soon; whether they decide to retire the shirt now or promise to do it when Jason actually retires from the game. An announcement about the shirt retirement close to the opening of the Pont Y Werin bridge would be fantastic news for Jason and also excellent PR for the club.