Stanley Cup Prediction Thread

kettdevil1

Thread starter #1
OK, a very simple idea for the NHL fans here.....

In two words (or three if you are misguided enough to go for Toronto....) who will win Lord Stanley's Cup?

If anyone gets it right then I will stand them a pint at the BBT.

If I get it right, everyone else buys me a pint.... :D

kettdevil1

Thread starter #2
Incidentally, my call is that the pot will go to the team with solid goaltending, a degree of toughness and the ability to play well for half a season (lets hope it is the right half....)

NY Rangers

wildthing74

kettdevil1 said:
Incidentally, my call is that the pot will go to the team with solid goaltending, a degree of toughness and the ability to play well for half a season (lets hope it is the right half....)

NY Rangers
I will buy you a beer when NYR win it as they are my tip too! Improved last years team although sad to see Prust leave :(

I'm gonna go with the penguins, they need to hit the ground running though. Crosby needs to be fit for the whole season and everyone needs to be firing on all cylinders from the first puck to the last.

TheStub

My dark horse call - Preds. They have kept the two lynch pins in their defence and under achieved last year.

Short season, it'll be a real run and gun.

Outside calls... Flyers and Redwings to miss the post season. Both need to rebuild, and haven't really started the pain yet. No cross conference games, every game is a 4 pointer - I can't see those two finishing above 4th in their own divisions.

Hynod

TheStub said:
My dark horse call - Preds. They have kept the two lynch pins in their defence and under achieved last year.

Outside calls... Flyers and Redwings to miss the post season. Both need to rebuild, and haven't really started the pain yet. No cross conference games, every game is a 4 pointer - I can't see those two finishing above 4th in their own divisions.
Flyers do not need to rebuild, the squad is younger than people think. I can see Bryz having a rebound year and Giroux named Cpt.

rocketbob

I am under no delusions that the Lightning could lift the cup this season (much as I would love to see that). I also have a feeling that Nashville has a good shot this year.

TheStub

Hynod said:
TheStub said:

Flyers do not need to rebuild, the squad is younger than people think. I can see Bryz having a rebound year and Giroux named Cpt.
It's the D that worry me. Your top 4 D are either out or aging. What I'd coming from behind isn't that inspiring, as the failed big play for Webber showed.

Short season will probably hurt the Flyers.

kettdevil1

Thread starter #11
Excellent stuff.... so far we have:

Wildthing and myself seeing sense and backing MSGs finest
Hynod has put his faith in Bryz and the Flyers
MP43 has suggested that Sid and the Pens can stay healthy enough to win
The Stub and Rocketbob have gone for the livewire outsider that are the Preds

Anybody else want to claim a beer?

kettdevil1

Thread starter #12
Hynod said:
TheStub said:

Interesting discussion about the Flyers - Hynod, can you honestly see Bryz backstopping the Flyers to the final? Funny bloke, great to watch but solid enough to help the Flyers......??? I am inclined to go with The Stub's view on this one.

Can't see the Redwings missing the post season mind. What is it now.... 21 seasons they have made it in a row or something amazing.....

it's my team, I got to believe.

The D is almost all back from injuries, Bryz is capable of it, it's just consistency. Don't rule out Giroux banking a lot of points again, although no Jagr to feed him.

kettdevil1

Thread starter #15
Hynod said:
it's my team, I got to believe.

The D is almost all back from injuries, Bryz is capable of it, it's just consistency. Don't rule out Giroux banking a lot of points again, although no Jagr to feed him.
Big season for Giroux I would suggest - he should be the next big superstar but it hasn't quite happened yet (although he is still a quality player) In a short, sharp, run and gun season he has a great chance to come to the fore.

Jones72

No one.

I predict a last minute issue resulting in no CBA, a u-turn on the tentatively agreed framework agreement, the season written off, and the whole process dragging on even further.