Signings/Departures Thread - All Teams 2023/24

moggy#9

But as I said though do you think Belfast were full of the toughest characters (or had the toughest player) the last two seasons? I don’t. I think they’ve got a tough coach that managed to get everything out of those players. And if he couldn’t they were gone.

I just think anybody that says not having Mark Louis (or the hardest player in the league) will be a big issue for us in trying to regain the league title I couldn’t disagree more.

I think it’s more important that the coach can get everything out of the whole roster rather than having somebody patrolling the blue line. That’s a bit 10 years ago for me
The need for toughness has a few facets. If you're a team that scores for fun and is a consistent threat on the pp, you can punish teams in other ways, and then maybe you don't need the physical confrontation. Last season our opponents had no fear of us from a physical standpoint, or in terms of us scoring on the pp. In fact at times we seemed more likely to concede a shorty.

How opponents approach games against us will be dependent upon the reputation we build early on. If we fail to show an offensive threat and transgressions against our top players aren't punished, it'll be a long and hard season. So one way or another, markers have to be laid.

hip check

But as I said though do you think Belfast were full of the toughest characters (or had the toughest player) the last two seasons? I don’t. I think they’ve got a tough coach that managed to get everything out of those players. And if he couldn’t they were gone.

I just think anybody that says not having Mark Louis (or the hardest player in the league) will be a big issue for us in trying to regain the league title I couldn’t disagree more.

I think it’s more important that the coach can get everything out of the whole roster rather than having somebody patrolling the blue line. That’s a bit 10 years ago for me
Two clan signings were mentioned regarding this very subject (toughness), both those guys are not out and out what you would call enforcers but opposition players will know that they'll take no prisoners and opposition players Inc Devils players know what they are capable of if they want to mix it up a bit.
Not suggesting going back to enforcer v enforcer slug outs but a hockey playing tough nut is always a useful acquisition in my mind.

lloyd_jeff

The other reason we need toughness is our record on replacements for injury cover, it’s not great, keeping guys fit longer will be needed as I’m sure we’ll be hit hard.

jenks33

The need for toughness has a few facets. If you're a team that scores for fun and is a consistent threat on the pp, you can punish teams in other ways, and then maybe you don't need the physical confrontation. Last season our opponents had no fear of us from a physical standpoint, or in terms of us scoring on the pp. In fact at times we seemed more likely to concede a shorty.

How opponents approach games against us will be dependent upon the reputation we build early on. If we fail to show an offensive threat and transgressions against our top players aren't punished, it'll be a long and hard season. So one way or another, markers have to be laid.
You’re completely right to mention the powerplay. It doesn’t matter how skilful, tough etc our team is on paper, if our PP is as bad as last season we will be mediocre again.

I fully expect PR to sort it out tho. He’s too experienced and I think Ully, Arniel, Donaghey will be useful on the PP

Wannabe2

Hockey is not all about winning, yes we all want to win but not everyone can, Belfast took the whole cabush, last season. A massive thing about going to see the Devils is being entertained, no one’s talking about kicking the crap out of everyone, or signing idiots give me a Justin Faryna everyday and twice on a Sunday. Dion Darling, Ian McIntyre, Stefan Fournier, Trevor Hendrix, Andrew Hotham, Wes Jarvis, Mark Louis, Leigh Salters, Justin Sawyer, Tyson Strachan. Brad Voth, Mike Ware, Mike MacWilliam, players who could also play but had the crowd every night, fans singing Shoes Off, Oh Justin Faryna, newbies thinking what the hell is this, I’m coming back and bringing my mates with me, leaving the rink and thinking what a great night. The speed of this game, the skill of this game, is massively important, but no one falls asleep, or leaves during a big hit, or two guys dropping the gloves, it’s not all about physicality but by god it don’t half help, Glasgow won’t be empty this season and good on them, they may not win a trophy, but I hope they do, but their fans won’t go home pissed off either. Happy Hockey Days.

Last edited:

hip check

Hockey is not all about winning, yes we all want to win but not everyone can, Belfast took the whole cabush, last season. A massive thing about going to see the Devils is being entertained, no one’s talking about kicking the crap out of everyone, or signing idiots give me a Justin Faryna everyday and twice on a Sunday. Dion Darling, Ian McIntyre, Stefan Fournier, Trevor Hendrix, Andrew Hotham, Wes Jarvis, Mark Louis, Leigh Salters, Justin Sawyer, Tyson Strachan. Brad Voth, Mike Ware, Mike MacWilliam, players who could also play but had the crowd every night, fans signing Shoes Off, Oh Justin Faryna, newbies thinking what the hell is this, I’m coming back and bringing my mates with me, leaving the rink and thinking what a great night. The speed of this game, the skill of this game, is massively important, but no one falls asleep, or leaves during a big hit, or two guys dropping the gloves, it’s not all about physicality but by god it don’t half help, Glasgow won’t be empty this season and good on them, they may not win a trophy, but I hope they do, but their fans won’t go home pissed off either. Happy Hockey Days.
Very well summed up Wannabe2 it's about entertainment, speed, skill and physicality, no one likes to see their team being out hit, being intimidated and pushed around and not having the armoury to do anything about it.

Hockey is not all about winning, yes we all want to win but not everyone can, Belfast took the whole cabush, last season. A massive thing about going to see the Devils is being entertained, no one’s talking about kicking the crap out of everyone, or signing idiots give me a Justin Faryna everyday and twice on a Sunday. Dion Darling, Ian McIntyre, Stefan Fournier, Trevor Hendrix, Andrew Hotham, Wes Jarvis, Mark Louis, Leigh Salters, Justin Sawyer, Tyson Strachan. Brad Voth, Mike Ware, Mike MacWilliam, players who could also play but had the crowd every night, fans signing Shoes Off, Oh Justin Faryna, newbies thinking what the hell is this, I’m coming back and bringing my mates with me, leaving the rink and thinking what a great night. The speed of this game, the skill of this game, is massively important, but no one falls asleep, or leaves during a big hit, or two guys dropping the gloves, it’s not all about physicality but by god it don’t half help, Glasgow won’t be empty this season and good on them, they may not win a trophy, but I hope they do, but their fans won’t go home pissed off either. Happy Hockey Days.
Great Post but missing a certain Craig Weller off here noone would go near him lol

Finny

For me Batch being picked over louis was a joke, last season there was no spark from him, he just gave up so many times and had no fight, he needs a huge season. Being pulled said it all for me midway through a game. By all accounts his wife wont let him do the fighting/sticking up but again that rumour. I am very worried with our lack of grunt
If I was a tough defence man who was told by his wife not to fight anymore I would definitely be making that public knowledge.

Wannabe2

If I was a tough defence man who was told by his wife not to fight anymore I would definitely be making that public knowledge.
That’s why you’re not a tough defence man, if it was me and my wife told me not to fight I would take up bakery, as a battered husband I know my place. I may wear the trousers in my house, but my wife tells me which ones to wear.

kingmo19.1

That’s why you’re not a tough defence man, if it was me and my wife told me not to fight I would take up bakery, as a battered husband I know my place. I may wear the trousers in my house, but my wife tells me which ones to wear.
Surely if you are a battered husband, you’d be better off taking up frying instead of baking?

Devil94

There have been 2 separate arguments on here recently, seemingly from the same posters, one that we were often being bullied and have done for a long time, and the other is how will we cope without a Mark Louis next year.
The two arguments contradict each other and obviously having someone as tough as Mark wasn't a big deterrent for other teams to out muscle us over the last 6 years .
Personally I don't think we have struggled physically, maybe the odd game here and there but not been a running issue. When you look at the two best teams last year in Belfast and Guildford, they had no tough guy to note, no physical deterrent, but they were able to dominate the ice with fast skaters who would give the opposition no time on the puck, and there would be a buy in by all to get in faces and finish hits where necessary. That's the type of physicality I want to see from us. We don't need someone as tough as Louis anymore.

jenks33

There have been 2 separate arguments on here recently, seemingly from the same posters, one that we were often being bullied and have done for a long time, and the other is how will we cope without a Mark Louis next year.
The two arguments contradict each other and obviously having someone as tough as Mark wasn't a big deterrent for other teams to out muscle us over the last 6 years .
Personally I don't think we have struggled physically, maybe the odd game here and there but not been a running issue. When you look at the two best teams last year in Belfast and Guildford, they had no tough guy to note, no physical deterrent, but they were able to dominate the ice with fast skaters who would give the opposition no time on the puck, and there would be a buy in by all to get in faces and finish hits where necessary. That's the type of physicality I want to see from us. We don't need someone as tough as Louis anymore.
Each to their own and all that but from a spectator point of view give me an in form Guildford over a team full of bullies any day of the week. Since returning to the EIHL they’ve been a breath of fresh air and they aren’t particularly tough. They just buzz around the ice, they all seem to buy in and they’re relentless at putting teams under pressure. In my opinion where Guildford still struggle (compared to Belfast) and the reason they still haven’t won anything is depth not a lack of toughness. They’ve usually got 4 very reliable D men and 9 very solid forwards but their lack of depth compared to Belfast has been the major difference.

And another thing when people say they don’t care about league positions/winning trophies they just want to see hits/physical hockey I don’t believe that for one minute. They would be the first people on here moaning that we are 4th and we don’t have enough skill.