Signings/Departures Thread - All Teams 2023/24

jenks33

I think it’s got to be a fairly big name (as they see it…and hopefully the fans do) as it’s season ticket renewal deadline today so maybe they’re hoping for a final push?
Yeah I think it’s a new signing or Sanford. But having said that I can’t remember the last time our social media team created this much hype about a re-signing. I don’t think much fuss was made over Joey Martin re-signing right?

Last edited:

Finny

I must admit when I saw the increase in buildup I was wondering if it was going to be big big announcement(s), but it now seems it’s going to be just one.

I quite like the idea going forward of clues building up to each signing, certainly a change from previous years.

All that has been said about Belfast having a shorter off season and CHL participation is true, so yes they have to finalise their roster earlier than anyone else.
My point is though that there are a number of ST holders, like myself who are undecided on renewing their ST’s after last seasons poor performances and poor entertainment value.

Yes, PR has been signed up as new coach and I for one am delighted with that, however I am looking for a signing or two before ST renewal deadline day (today) to convince me to renew!

So for me an announcement of Mosey or one or two of the brits re-signing is not the statement of intent I’m looking for, maybe Rymsha or another 'new face' maybe so i‘m waiting in hope til 6pm with baited breath and credit card in hand.

Finny

All that has been said about Belfast having a shorter off season and CHL participation is true, so yes they have to finalise their roster earlier than anyone else.
My point is though that there are a number of ST holders, like myself who are undecided on renewing their ST’s after last seasons poor performances and poor entertainment value.

Yes, PR has been signed up as new coach and I for one am delighted with that, however I am looking for a signing or two before ST renewal deadline day (today) to convince me to renew!

So for me an announcement of Mosey or one or two of the brits re-signing is not the statement of intent I’m looking for, maybe Rymsha or another 'new face' maybe so i‘m waiting in hope til 6pm with baited breath and credit card in hand.
Is there a reason why you’d like that this season? Because it hasn’t really happened in the past.

Going back through past seasons April and May are usually just re-signing announcements. Mostly brits (before they go off to the World Championships) and a couple of key imports.
Even if you look across the league there are very few new signings by teams at this point unless they are switching from a rival EIHL team. And that has happened this year with several brits swapping teams and Barriga switching from Dundee to Belfast.
I’ve gone through the last ten years and we’ve only signed three new imports in May.
Mikkelson after the COVID lockout.
Doucet and Salters from another EIHL team.

It just doesn’t happen very often.
Don't forget if we are looking for top ECHL players or those who have been called up to AHL their playoffs are either still going on or they’ve only just been knocked out.

Finny

I’m actually expecting our signing announcements to be slower than in past seasons.
Partially because the season finished later and the next one starting later (practically a month later than what we’ve been accustome).
But mostly because of the Pete Russell situation.

When we had Lord he would have decided pretty much before the last game who he wanted to keep and who he wanted to replace. Indeed he would have those meetings with players in the following week. And he would already be identifying targets and sound out agents.

That is less likely to have been able to happen this season. I’m guessing Todd would have held similar meetings with players but when our season finished Russell was still in the playoffs. Then he went straight to the World Championships and I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t spending 100% of his time on them

It sounds like the decision to come here was taken some time ago and he’s probably been identifying potential targets but he could hardly reach out to a player and say “fancy joining me next year at another club I’ve not been announced for”.

My guess is that in the week it was announced he was joining us he probably held a meeting with Todd and Franny on existing players and who they think should stay. But whereas Lord would have had that meeting in early April for Russel it was mid-May.

Is there a reason why you’d like that this season? Because it hasn’t really happened in the past.

Going back through past seasons April and May are usually just re-signing announcements. Mostly brits (before they go off to the World Championships) and a couple of key imports.
Even if you look across the league there are very few new signings by teams at this point unless they are switching from a rival EIHL team. And that has happened this year with several brits swapping teams and Barriga switching from Dundee to Belfast.
I’ve gone through the last ten years and we’ve only signed three new imports in May.
Mikkelson after the COVID lockout.
Doucet and Salters from another EIHL team.

It just doesn’t happen very often.
Don't forget if we are looking for top ECHL players or those who have been called up to AHL their playoffs are either still going on or they’ve only just been knocked out.
Reason being that last season was a continuation of the poor fare on offer from the previous season and wavering ST holders (like myself) need convincing as to our intent before renewal day!
So this off season may be different to the off seasons of the recent past.

I see we have just signed Jamie Arniel from DEL 2

Finny

Reason being that last season was a continuation of the poor fare on offer from the previous season and wavering ST holders (like myself) need convincing as to our intent before renewal day!
So this off season may be different to the off seasons of the recent past.

I see we have just signed Jamie Arniel from DEL 2
Yeh. Ignore everything I said! :D