Season Tickets 2017/2018

terry hunt

Thread starter #42
Realistically the increase in standard of the league has meant games are no longer easy wins.
I appreciate that some families may find this difficult but the last thing we want to happen is to go back to the Ragan era.
It seems the Devils are now being criticised for building a more competitive team which costs.
Having been a Dragons season ticket holder for yonks i would gladly pay more if the owners put their hands in their pockets.

drainage

The reason for the change in ticket prices and lack of concession tickets is obvious....... more beers for Todd and the boys. This isn't aimed at the Devils in particular but so many sports teams treats us as customers, not fans these days. No family tickets either - not surprised, I keep hearing it's a 'family sport' but I have my doubt when you've got players abusing officials and even attacking fans as we've seen in the EIHL this season.

P.s £25 to set up a direct debit? I've never heard of such outrageous profiteering at the expense of fans
So is your comment re family sport aimed at the lack of family ST (which is in the control of team) or abusing officials and fans (which isn't ?) fairly confused argument for me !

This is a business it needs to make money to ensure we have the best on ice off ice product available and maximise revenue it's not a strange business model !

Yes we are customers fact ! We may be fans but we are most definitely customers and businesses set their prices based on costs , revenue expenditure etc it's really not rocket science. And if you think administering what is essentially an interest free loan by DD doesn't attract costs then I frankly think you are way off the mark of course it does ...... Naive to suggest otherwise

MESSAGE FROM DEVILS (TODD KELMAN)

Hello All,

Just an explanation of why I got rid of the student ticket and replaced it with the young adult ticket. Unfortunately, the student discount was being abused. This season, we caught out nearly 30 season ticket holders claiming to be students that are not full-time students. I took the decision to get rid of the student discount and go by age. I know this has put some legitimate mature students into an adult ticket bracket, and unfortunately this was going to be the consequence of this change. I will not be changing it back, but I felt that I owed you an explanation for the change.

As for the changes in blocks to gold or silver, I always was going to look at how our first full season went in the new arena to see if changes needed to be made. When I saw the first few games in the new arena, I personally felt that blocks 8 & 20 should have been gold then but we stuck with the blocks we put in place when we first moved across for the full 2016/17 season. This again will mean for some fans their prices go up, but this again is the consequence of wanting to sit in the blocks that I have deemed to be better seats than other areas of the arena.

Finally, the reasoning behind these changes are not so we can pay for "more beers for Todd and the boys," these are simple decisions based on our analysis of where people want to sit and what tickets sell first. We are not trying to bleed a fanbase dry, we are making solid business decisions based on information we have collated throughout the year. I understand a lot of fans will not be happy with how these decisions affect their personal circumstance but it is my job to steer your club in the right direction year on year. We are in for the long haul, we are committed to improving the fan experience every season and not every decision I make is going to be popular. I get this. This is not my first season doing this, and I can assure you, we do not think of you as only customers, we think of our season ticket holders as the lifeblood of this organisation, the people that commit up front year on year to support their team.

We need you, we think of how every decision will affect you, we analyse it and we think and re-think our plans over and over again before making decisions. It hurts when our fans actually think that I am or the owners are doing something for the money. We aren't and we never will. The owners have not taken a single penny out of this club since buying it. They have given money back to improve the facilities for the team, they have given money directly to the Junior Devils club, they have not taken money out for anything. So when I find nearly 30 fans ripping off the club that they supposedly love, then I have to change something because if there were nearly 30 we found, the unfortunate reality is there are more that we didn't find.

You will always get the honest answer from me, and I will always ALWAYS put this club's interests at the forefront of whatever decisions we make. And if you see me buying "beers for the boys" it's with my own money and it's because we just won a big game. I like a beer with the guys after we win, and I like to win. I hope every single season ticket holder renews and that we welcome another 200 or 300 more to the season ticket base for next season. With a 3,088 capacity, we are limited by capacity where other arenas are not, so if you choose not to renew, I am confident that someone will likely want your seat. We have a waiting list of over 300 people for Saturday's game against Coventry. My goal is to sell-out every game next season or get as close as we damn well can. We will continue to invest in things to improve the fan experience and hopefully you all are along for the ride with us. If you still feel that you need to voice your opinion, do it directly to me on tk@cardiffdevils.com - I can promise you I will read every email I get.

As always, yours in hockey...

Todd Kelman

Cant fault that response to be honest. If I could be a ST holder I would but right now I have two young twin boys and it's not practical to get one at this present time, though I will be getting one for myself and hopefully my children in the future. If I was a ST holder though and worked out that my price was an extra £30-£40 for the year I really would not be bothered. If we are hopeful to compete in Europe next year sure any extra revenue can go towards a bigger, better, deeper team?

"if you choose not to renew, I am confident that someone will likely want your seat. "

That's nice Todd...

Also, isn't it just as simple to lie about your age as it is to lie about your student status? Doesn't make sense.

Driving licence/passport check for age... enrolment letter AND current student ID for concession.

I will also just say that I have never once this season had my student status checked on entry (I'm a full time student until 2018 by the way)

Last edited:

Milky

I have no problem with the re- zoning of the blocks. It makes perfect sense to me especially with the increase in demand and sell out crowds.

Also, not sure if I get people deciding not to renew their tickets based on their zone being reclassified and becoming more expensive. Move to a cheaper one if you're not happy. If you don't think it's as good as your old seat then you've answered your own question; better seats should come at a premium.

I didn't agree initially with the student tickets being discontinued but fair play to TK for responding and I guess I can accept that explanation.

What does get my back up are the scum (and I make no apologies for using that term) that try to take advantage of the inadequacies of the rink to sneak people into the rink for free or abuse the ticketing system and con the club out of money.

I hope those that are caught doing this are named, shamed and given bans.

"if you choose not to renew, I am confident that someone will likely want your seat. "

That's nice Todd...

Also, isn't it just as simple to lie about your age as it is to lie about your student status? Doesn't make sense.

Driving licence/passport check for age... enrolment letter AND current student ID for concession.

I will also just say that I have never once this season had my student status checked on entry (I'm a full time student until 2018 by the way)
Unfortunately it's not that easy. When I was at my last job I did a professional qualification which involved one day a month attendance and independant work. I had a student ID and enrolment letter but I was working full time and earning a full time salary but could have claimed student discount. I didn't as I thought it was dishonest but appears some dont have the same principles. That said I don't normally have principles. [emoji3]

Unfortunately it's not that easy. When I was at my last job I did a professional qualification which involved one day a month attendance and independant work. I had a student ID and enrolment letter but I was working full time and earning a full time salary but could have claimed student discount. I didn't as I thought it was dishonest but appears some dont have the same principles. That said I don't normally have principles. [emoji3]
An enrolment letter states the amount of hours you commit to each week. Pretty easy to determine who is full time and for what length and who is not.

Anyway, it is what it is!

An enrolment letter states the amount of hours you commit to each week. Pretty easy to determine who is full time and for what length and who is not.

Anyway, it is what it is!
Yours may do but mine didn't. It stated the start and end date, course name, contacts and expectations. But as you say, it is what it is.

Yours may do but mine didn't. It stated the start and end date, course name, contacts and expectations. But as you say, it is what it is.
Well, then don't offer the discount to anyone that can't provide definitive evidence?!? It's not particularly advanced rocket science....

Anyone who really is a full time student will have difinitive evidence. Just like anyone who isn't, won't (like you)

Or perhaps we can accept that abuse by a number of people has spoiled things for others and move on.
Perhaps ban the abusers and don't punish people that are abiding by the rules...

Also, the staff at the rink aren't exactly stringent with their checking of concessionary eligibility on game night. As I said, haven't been asked for a student ID all season!

Last edited:

drainage

Perhaps ban the abusers and don't punish people that are abiding by the rules...

Also, the staff at the rink aren't exactly stringent with their checking of concessionary eligibility on game night. As I said, haven't been asked for a student ID all season!
I think banning the abusers would put such a administrative strain on club to remove a student ticket is an easier /cost neutral option ...... Policing it week on week must add costs. You could be full time student in Sep by Nov have dropped out how do you manage that ? And yes it could apply to someone starting A levels and leaving by Dec is same but that ticket is marketed as young adult irrespective of education status

For me the people who thought cheating the club was a good idea caused this

I think banning the abusers would put such a administrative strain on club to remove a student ticket is an easier /cost neutral option ...... Policing it week on week must add costs. You could be full time student in Sep by Nov have dropped out how do you manage that ? And yes it could apply to someone starting A levels and leaving by Dec is same but that ticket is marketed as young adult irrespective of education status

For me the people who thought cheating the club was a good idea caused this

The same can be said for people who buy their ST in April at age 21 and then turn 22 in may. Will the rink be checking ID's to make sure that everyone with a young adult ST is within the age range? I doubt it...

Anyway, like I said, it is what it is. I may be one disappointed fan, but I'm sure they'll make lots more money out of other people keen to buy my more expensive seat, as Todd says.

drainage

The same can be said for people who buy their ST in April at age 21 and then turn 22 in may. Will the rink be checking ID's to make sure that everyone with a young adult ST is within the age range? I doubt it...

Anyway, like I said, it is what it is. I may be one disappointed fan, but I'm sure they'll make lots more money out of other people keen to buy my more expensive seat, as Todd says.
As they are asking for proof of ID then can't see how that can happen if someone is 21 in April and presents photo ID that shows they will be 22 by Sep 1st they will be sold the adult ticket ? The ID is part of the application not the entry hence my comment that being a student now and not being later this year is hard to administer !

They are going for the least difficult to manage option which makes business sense for those genuine full time over 21 students it's a pain / not nice I suspect the non genuine may out number the genuine I certainly know of people who have abused the current system

Bazza

Can't argue with the thought process and decision they made. Pretty open post from Todd.

I said all year I think got very lucky with Block 7 being bronze this season!!

Hoped only paying for one ticket this time but my wife decided our 20 year old student son should be looked after too...bugger!

DevilDom

The reason for the change in ticket prices and lack of concession tickets is obvious....... more beers for Todd and the boys. This isn't aimed at the Devils in particular but so many sports teams treats us as customers, not fans these days. No family tickets either - not surprised, I keep hearing it's a 'family sport' but I have my doubt when you've got players abusing officials and even attacking fans as we've seen in the EIHL this season.

P.s £25 to set up a direct debit? I've never heard of such outrageous profiteering at the expense of fans
What an absolutely ridiculous post which completely undermines those who have genuine gripes about the changes made.

I never imagined prices would stay the same, but can't say I'm happy with how it's been done. However, understand the reasons behind it. Talking about profiteering and taken advantage of fans is just crazy speak.

Looks like I was having a right good moan yesterday. But just to clarify, I'm not disputing the price increase, or the changing of tariff in certain areas of the arena (people can change seats if this is a problem). There was obviously going to be a price increase, it is a business after all. And it was unlikely that they were going to introduce massive increases last season, for the first season in a new rink.

However, using people that have abused the system as an excuse to scrap concessions seems a bit ridiculous. If they were really that bothered by it, they would have had the arena staff scanning tickets and checking ID's ages ago...

I guess us mature students are a small minority group - a subgroup of fans that growing businesses don't care much for when there are plenty of other people to buy the seats; as Todd so eloquently put it.