SAWYER

Sawyer was brought in and advertised as a fighter !!!! in all fairness he skated very well and showed some good signs....maybe if he fought then people may have been happier.... im looking forward to more from him.

rocketbob

I agree with Hicksguidedog (awesome username by the way) west to east is far worse. It has taken me a week to get over it before when travelling from Canada.
I would also like to say that I liked a lot of what I saw from Sawyer especially coming forward in the third period. I look forward to watching him for the rest of the season.

beccy&omar said:
So was everyone as disapointed with Sawyer as we all were???
It may save your probably deserved flaming if you explain why you were disappointed with him, what do you think he did wrong or which aspects of his game do you think are below par?
For my money he looks a much better player than I was expecting, he skates well, his positioning defensively looks reasonable and he carries the puck out more than I thought he would. The only thing that I saw last night that could be considered a concern was his inability to find a fellow Devil when passing out of the zone. After one training session and three periods though I would have trouble recognising them let alone knowing where they are on the ice. Give him time. :shock:

Do you travel trans Atlantic for business or just holidays ?

If it just holidays it's the excitement thing of going and the depression of coming back. Generally west to east from a working perspective is considered a gift. Note I said general everyone is different :cool:

I do only travel the atlantic for pleasure but if you google 'jet lag east to west?' you will find many websites that suggest flying east is worse due to lack of sleep! For example http://www.insomniacs.co.uk/CrossingTimeZones.html I haven't found anyone or any website that suggests differently. Why don't we ask some of the players if they feel that they were jet lagged, because it certainly looked liked they were last night! :)

Does it really require 3 pages of people saying 'it was just a friendly, give them a chance to gel, they were jet lagged' to get the point across???
Yes people may not agree with the poster but geez give them a break.

i take my hat off to sawyer :) the only devils player left at the skate with the devils event. he talked to loads of fans and helped lots of kids to skate around the rink. he played good in the friendly and will improve. give the guy a break!

I was actually impressed with what I saw considering he was made out to be a pure fighter.

He did make a few errors (as does everyone) but as mentioned it's the first game before the season and a chance to air the cobwebs so to speak.

Again i think that the team shows a lot of promise and I am looking forward to the start of the season :)

jester said:
Do you travel trans Atlantic for business or just holidays ?

If it just holidays it's the excitement thing of going and the depression of coming back. Generally west to east from a working perspective is considered a gift. Note I said general everyone is different :cool:
I would also question this. Ive travelled to the US many times and have never had a problem on the way over. Its fairly easy to stay up for an extra few hours. The trip home is 10x worse though and im usually quite looking forward to getting home! I really dont buy the excitement/depression factors. Im certain that travelling west to east is much worse (for me atleast anyway).

Regardless of that though, i also dont buy jetlag as a reason.

The reasons plain and simple that hockey is a team sport and they cant be expected to play as a unit straight out of the blocks with hardly any time together.

It gives us an idea of some individuals skills but as has been said. Impossible to judge them just yet! Give it a few weeks at least.

Finny

beccy&omar said:
Nope. Exact opposite actually. Expected him to be a meathead who couldn't skate that badly - and it looks like we have found a top 4 dman who can fight when needed/wanted.

While agreeing it was the first game i wasnt impressed at all by him. The second goal was down to him spending more time trying to niggle at Chambers than actually concentrating on the puck, he didnt look the greatest puck handler and i just didnt feel he hasd much about him other than being a tough guy. So in my opinion things can only get better

Wannabe2

To be honest Gerad was never going to bring a Knuckle Dragger over, otherwise he would have gone for Mcmorrow or similar, G wants to win silverware this season so a Meathead was never on the menu. Like most fighters Sawyer will sometimes take silly penalties, unfortunately it comes with the territory, though Gwill be hoping to keep this to a minimum. Justin i reckon will be a good fit for us in more ways than one, i look forward to seeing him clearing our crease with a no nonsense attitude, and contributing to the team in a number of ways.

Finny said:
beccy&omar said:
Nope. Exact opposite actually. Expected him to be a meathead who couldn't skate that badly - and it looks like we have found a top 4 dman who can fight when needed/wanted.
I totally agree with you Finny.
I think that people should discuss topics like this at the end of the season when we have seen the whole team a full season. I personal think that Justin will be really good for us and help out his team mates when and as needed.

i must have been watching someone else cause what i saw of sawyer was that he threw his massive frame infront of a lot of shots and he rattled the blaze players but no one would bite.

Do people seriously expect all the "fighters" to actually have a fight in their first game, which is a friendly?

Come on..... Max's fight wasnt enough for you?

zoesdevil

All i'm going to say is give the players a chance its there first game which is a friendly,theres over 50 more games to go!!! I think any links like this should be banned and deleted from this forum as if players read this stuff its hardly gona do them any confidence when there own fans are turnung against them after game 1???!!!! For goodness sake give them a break and a chance for more than a second!!!!! :roll: :roll:

ASHIPP

Seem to remember the 'jet-lag' arguement being played out on here at the start of last season when some posters were apparently less than impressed with some of the players in their first game.
There are so many other factors that might affect a players ability to produce a superb performance in the first instance.Players on other teams will have similar issues. Imports like Finnerty, Vother, Tylor already know the drill at the Tent. Even if jet-lagged, they still know systems, and how to play that ice. The new guys are settling in.
Justin is new -we've seen all the new guys play one game only so far - can we reserve that jugdement until they've had time to settle down. :roll:

DevilDom

I just met Justin at the informal meet the players night and what a top guy, certainly not a knuckle dragger as some people seem to have been expecting.

I never made the exhibition game on Saturday but given the number of respected posters on here who were impressed with his performance I'm willing to believe he is going to be a good player for us. Just because he never took on half the balze team in a fight doesn't mean he had a bad game! Besides, judging by what G said tonight about taking bad penalties i'm not sure we are going to see as much of rough stuff as people think. Therefore having a big D man who can play as well as fight is essential for the overall game plan. Yes stand up for ourselves and fight when necessary but much like Voth with Mcmorrow for most of last season, not just fight for the sake of fighting.