RYAN FINNERTY, THE NEW CAPTAIN

DevilDom

Finny said:
If Voth did come back, there would suddenly be a lot of questions on here and amongst the fans about who should be captain. By announcing this now, those questions will not appear.

Voth has been a great captain for us but I think G identified last season that he had started to lose his focus a bit due to him having so many responsibilities.

If Voth wasn't coming back, this decision could be made at the start of the season as has been done in the past. The fact that it's been announced now makes me think that perhaps Voth is coming back and will be announced before the 31st May season ticket deadline.
I hope your right about Voth coming back. I'm not saying he should be Captain if he does, I thought he played better (althought still not his best) when the C was taken from him last season and as has been said G has made his decision on that front.

I think Ryan will be a good captain and that is not the issue for me. The issue is getting the Voth situation sorted out one or the other. A lot of positive PR just makes me suspicious (and there is no doubt this is an early annoucement) but I guess that is just my nature.

Koop11

Whether Voth comes back or not this decision to make Finnerty as captain is a great move by Gerad. Finnerty is a true leader. Many Sheffield fans regarded him as the heart beat of their team. In the short time he has been here you can see Finnerty talking and directing players on the bench. He is pure captain material. Well done Gerad and well done Finnerty.

The most interesting piece I read was "I am recruiting the guys that will buy into the systems we put in place 100%. Last year a couple of individuals failed to buy into our plan and went off and played their own way, did their own thing. That's embarrassing for me to admit as it's the first time I have ever been involved in that happening. We have made the right changes however and I won't allow that this season; neither will Finner."

Its obvious to some who those players were at times and Gerad has done well to have a clear out. We don’t need party boy individuals, we need a professional team. Poor mental lapses and selfish plays cost us points last year and we conceded goals in very important games.

ASHIPP

Finny said:
If Voth did come back, there would suddenly be a lot of questions on here and amongst the fans about who should be captain. By announcing this now, those questions will not appear.

Voth has been a great captain for us but I think G identified last season that he had started to lose his focus a bit due to him having so many responsibilities.

If Voth wasn't coming back, this decision could be made at the start of the season as has been done in the past. The fact that it's been announced now makes me think that perhaps Voth is coming back and will be announced before the 31st May season ticket deadline.
Spot on, Finny. Now I've thought about it a bit more, the recent 'positive spin' articles in local press about talks with Brad suggest that things were going well. I don't think the Club would do that unless something promising was happening. :? Announcing Ryan as Captain now is another positive drive to encourage season ticket sales whilst getting everyone in the mindset early that there will be a new Captain. :D

Very happy with Finnerty as captain, however....

I tend to think Voth wont be back and tend to agree that all the positive PR has been aimed at the "early Bird" season ticket offer. I just dont think that the Voth story and Finnerty being Captain are linked thats all. Voth was never going to be the Captain on the ice again anyway.

My guess on that front (and thats what it is), is that, Voth and Gomez are done deals as someone suggested, but those deals have concluded with Voth not returning and Gomez taking his place.

Surely from a financial viewpoint, it would make more sense to announce big news after the early bird?

If people pile into season tickets following news of Brad after the cut off, they pay more for them and the club benefits from the additional revenue?