RYAN FINNERTY, THE NEW CAPTAIN

From CardiffDevils.com:
The Cardiff Devils announce Ryan finnerty as their new Captain for 2010/11

Devils Head Coach Gerad Adams today announces that Ryan Finnerty will wear the 'C' of Captaincy for the coming season.

"This is a strong move for us for next year" said Adams. This year is all about the right attitudes and the right approach to games and to winning."

"Mark Richardson did an unbelievable job for us last year when he stepped up to the Captaincy. At the moment I feel he is a little young to take on the role we need but he will continue to be a leader through his professionalism and level of play"

"Finner brings a winner's mentality and will be a great leader for us. There are lots of ways to be a Captain; by example, motivation and by being vocal. Brad Voth was a great Captain by example for us and Finner will bring that and also be vocal. He is a guy who is not afraid to say the tough things to a team-mate when they are needed. He has no problem in 'calling out' a player who is not getting their job done and being a vocal guy in the dressing room."

When discussing the imprtance of having a character like the fiercely competitive Finnerty as Captain, Adams talks about the areas of improvement from last year, saying, "I am recruiting the guys that will buy into the systems we put in place 100%. Last year a couple of individuals failed to buy into our plan and went off and played their own way, did their own thing. That's embarrassing for me to admit as it's the first time I have ever been involved in that happening. We have made the right changes however and I won't allow that this season; neither will Finner."

Adams goes on to illustrate the impact Finnerty has had in the past when he refers to his time at Sheffield. He jokes:

"It seems to be Finner's way - he joins a team halfway through a season, cement himself there and then has a breakout year!" The yorkshire outfit went on to win the League and playoff titles with Finnerty on board and Devils fans would welcome a repeat from the native of Lethbridge, Alberta.

Adams also believes Finnerty can be instrumental in turning around the Devils achilles heel last season - their away form.

"It's hard to play any sport on the road, and guys often need that something extra to get them jumping. That's what Finner will bring for us this year, I'm very excited to watch this progression."

A

Anonymous

Tenacious, hard working, determined, and has fire in his belly. All good qualities for a 'C' in my book !

ASHIPP

And Ryan has demonstrated great leadership qualities in the locker room and on ice - Matsos also said that of him when he was at the Steelers. He can certainly inspire with his style of play and attitude. :cool:

Ritchie did a great stint as Captain last season - he must have been the youngest Captain in the League? Ritchie and Phil will be Alternate 'C's do you think? Great role models and totally professional.

ASHIPP

El Supremo said:
This to me signals that Voth will not be back.
El - do you think the news of Ryan is the 'sweetner' before it's announced that Brad isn't coming back? :?
I just wonder why would the Organisation continuosly put out local press releases (7 articles in 3 weeks) about being in talks with Brad, inferring talks going well, will know soon etc, unless there was an element of truth in them? Put it one way, the Club hasn't said anything to the contrary! Stalling tactics? :?

Wannabe2

El Supremo said:
Myself i dont think it will make the slightest bit of difference, Brad either wants to come back or he doesnt, and hopefully he will.

Wannabe2 said:
El Supremo said:
Myself i dont think it will make the slightest bit of difference, Brad either wants to come back or he doesnt, and hopefully he will.
What I mean is that this decision by Adams signals to me that Voth has already made his decision (i.e. had Voth agreed to return surely he would have been captain).

A

Anonymous

El Supremo said:
Wannabe2 said:
El Supremo said:
What I mean is that this decision by Adams signals to me that Voth has already made his decision (i.e. had Voth agreed to return surely he would have been captain).
I dont think so no. Vother was replaced as Captain to keep him away from the officials. Why would G then go and reappoint him? I agree with Wannabe. Wether Voth returns or not remains to be seen, but I honestly don't think Finners appointment as Captain is relevant.

I wonder if Brad was asked to wear too many hats - captain, tough guy - at what point does he get to play his own game.

I think if he came back without the burden of captain, which doesn't suit everybody, he might play better for it.

A

Anonymous

People are forgetting that Voth had the captaincy taken from him to try and keep him away from the officials for obvious reasons. And it appeared to work for the remainder of the season. Why on earth would 'G' then reappoint him as Captain the following season. It just wouldn't make sense?

G explained his reasoning for making Finnerty captain perfectly well, he is experienced, he's a winner, he's vocal and he's tough.
I dont think it says Voth wont be back, if it says anything about him, its that if he is back, he will be used in a way that his only "responsibilities" will be looking after his line mates and scoring goals.

DevilDom

Angelic_Devil said:
El Supremo said:
Was thinking the same thing!
Yeah me too. More noise from the organisation to deflect from the annoucement that he won't be back. The sooner they come clean the better IMO and we can all move on.

DevilDom

Ger-Devils said:
Great choice as captain! Can't see it making a difference on Vother!
Don't you think its kinda early to be making this annoucement though? With about a third of the team still to be sorted out?

That is why I believe this is all a bit of positive PR just before the big negative when they annouce Voth isn't coming back (probably at the fans forum or just after the early bird season ticket deal ends!). Not saying it's wrong but if they do know they should be telling the fans.

Finny

If Voth did come back, there would suddenly be a lot of questions on here and amongst the fans about who should be captain. By announcing this now, those questions will not appear.

Voth has been a great captain for us but I think G identified last season that he had started to lose his focus a bit due to him having so many responsibilities.

If Voth wasn't coming back, this decision could be made at the start of the season as has been done in the past. The fact that it's been announced now makes me think that perhaps Voth is coming back and will be announced before the 31st May season ticket deadline.