Rumours Thread

Finny

James said:
Dunno much about the scottish set up but is it possible that there are a number of local untapped scots lads who could do the job for them?
I'd have thought that there would be a couple from Fife, Dundee, Paisley and Solway who would be good enough for a 3rd line.

I don't think anyone would expect this team to compete at the top of the EIHL, as a start they would be aiming not to finish bottom and qualify for the playoffs.
10 decent imports and maybe 5 decent brits is all they would need. And with the problems surrounding 4 EPL teams - there could be a couple of decent brits looking for a new team.

ASHIPP

Greg Owen signs for the Blaze - a fantastic player and a great signing for them. :mrgreen:

He was linked with Cardiff and Nottingham but turned them both down. I wonder, now, as another player orginially linked with coming to the Devils rejects the club in favour of another, who else G is targeting on his 'wish list'? :?

Finny

Whether G was generally interested in Owen, or whether his interest in him meant that Coventry have had to pay over the odds for him - are two entirely different things. :lol:

Looks like Thommo has had to resort to his old tactic of ignoring the wagecap in an attempt to bring silverware back to the club.

Gazza272

I'm starting to think that the wage cap is being done away with. Both Rob Wilson and Shannon Hope have been said to have no answer as to how it is to be policed.

Chris

Administrator
That was mentioned on a thread on THF, someone had asked Rob Wilson about the wage cap and he said he didn't think there would be one as there's no effective way of policing it.

I'm with Gazza though, looks to me like the wage cap is more of a guide, if you want to play in the EIHL then be prepared to spend around £7000 per week on wages to not come last, don't expect to come 1st either though.

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, looks like there will be some better players, but how long before the bigger teams begin to suffer? We're only on year 2 of 3 of Matt Burges business plan so I don't expect us to be throwing money around like it's no object, so where does that leave us.

I don't expect the league will publish anything solid about any new rules, or lack of rules regarding anything...

Chris.

The wage cap means that teams cannot go over a certain threshold for paying their players a weekly wage. It doesn't cover bonus's - scoring, winning, shutouts, cups etc. Ficticious jobs for players/WAGS with sponsors, one off donations from sponsors, cars, houses etc.

A player can earn £300 P/W but have a part time job, nice car, house, signing bonus, turning up to training bonus, re-embursement of expenses.

D21 said:
The wage cap means that teams cannot go over a certain threshold for paying their players a weekly wage. It doesn't cover bonus's - scoring, winning, shutouts, cups etc. Ficticious jobs for players/WAGS with sponsors, one off donations from sponsors, cars, houses etc.
Totally agree. However I always think that if you are going to try and break the wage cap, at least do it well enough to win some trophies.
Blaze spend loads and win back to back league titles. Thanks very much. Well worth it for those special nights.

Devils splash out in the 2nd part of last season on Tyson (and his "2nd job") and Mr NHL Elich and end up 5th and potless. D'oh.

ASHIPP

J.B said:
Blaze spend loads and win back to back league titles. Thanks very much. Well worth it for those special nights.

Devils splash out in the 2nd part of last season on Tyson (and his "2nd job") and Mr NHL Elich and end up 5th and potless. D'oh.
And of course you are referring to the Blaze very successful season last year when they won.......?! The Devils ended their season securing 5th place and at least qualifying for 2 semi-finals.....after injuries. After being knocked out of the cups/play-offs and playing some shocking games, even the Blaze own fans were wondering if the Blaze team had turned up!

I think Greg Owen is a fantastic signing but I did smile when he said he had a disappointing season in France and wanted to win some silverware back in the UK....by joining a club who won, er, nothing last year?! :lol:

ASHIPP said:
The Devils ended their season securing 5th place and at least qualifying for 2 semi-finals.....
We also reached 2 semi-finals ... the difference being that we thought that wasn't good enough and dumped most of the team who did that, whereas you have paid over the odds to keep the core of that team like it was some achievement :D

J.B, you really are pathetic.
What is the point in coming on here and trying to cause arguements?.
You are not wanted here because that's all you do, and I'm sure many other people on this forum would agree with me.

As for Elich and Teplitsky, they were signed because of injuries. You can't really say we splashed out. To be honest, you shouldn't attempt to criticise other teams untill your team abides by the rules and keeps to the cap themselves. Something thats obviously not going to happen this year.

Wannabe2

J.B said:
ASHIPP said:
The Devils ended their season securing 5th place and at least qualifying for 2 semi-finals.....
We also reached 2 semi-finals ... the difference being that we thought that wasn't good enough and dumped most of the team who did that, whereas you have paid over the odds to keep the core of that team like it was some achievement :D
With a bit of luck someone will dump you off this forum.

ASHIPP

J.B said:
ASHIPP said:
Wrong! If you care to look there are 9 players that the Blaze have publically announced have signed so far for next season - 3 of which are new, the other 6 were from last year's Blaze roster :lol:

TheStub

Just ignore the child, and he will tire of the taunts.

Personally, I care little for what has gone before - just excited for the future.

Let's leave young JB to tuck his trousers into his socks, sort his baseball cap and moan alone