Rumours Thread

Rempel16

IMO Payette would be a piece of marketing genius for the Stingrays. A definite 'bums on seats' character which is the exact type of player they need.

They could easily sell out that place week in week out if cloutier lets payette off the leash. Give him a role similar to that of his Coventry days and he will thrive once again. He's arguably the best 1st line 'protector' we've seen on these shores and this is where he would work best, protecting the top scorers rather than the kids.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
IMO Payette would be a piece of marketing genius for the Stingrays. A definite 'bums on seats' character which is the exact type of player they need.

They could easily sell out that place week in week out if cloutier lets payette off the leash. Give him a role similar to that of his Coventry days and he will thrive once again. He's arguably the best 1st line 'protector' we've seen on these shores and this is where he would work best, protecting the top scorers rather than the kids.

Payette has done nothing for bums on seats in Newcastle, a lot of fans seem utterly bored of him and his antics.

Waste of a signing for Hull imo.

Rempel16

Gazza272 said:
Rempel16 said:

Payette has done nothing for bums on seats in Newcastle, a lot of fans seem utterly bored of him and his antics.

Waste of a signing for Hull imo.
But he hasn't been given a chance on the top line.
And our attendances against newcastle are always more than they should be. Can't judge newcastle home games but given the chance to protect their stars then i'm sure their fans would be more appreciative of what he 'can' bring to the team.

Would be an excellent signing for hull imo.... I have a couple of friends who are casual fans but admit they would buy a season ticket to watch payette every week and this rings true for many i feel.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
But he hasn't been given a chance on the top line.
And our attendances against newcastle are always more than they should be. Can't judge newcastle home games but given the chance to protect their stars then i'm sure their fans would be more appreciative of what he 'can' bring to the team.

Would be an excellent signing for hull imo.... I have a couple of friends who are casual fans but admit they would buy a season ticket to watch payette every week and this rings true for many i feel.

The only reason he isnt on the top line though is because he never listens to a word Wilson says and is very unfit and over weight to what he should be. After a shift in the first period the guy is puffing.

Attendences are up in away rinks because its a novelty its something that will harm the opposition and give the home fans a laugh. If it were my team being subjecting to watching the idiot hurt the team with silly penalties and nothing fights, while taking the pee because he wont stop having a few pints and trying to punch his own team mates on the bench, i think i would be more than a little annoyed.

if Cloutier can control him he might just might get something out of him, but Thommo couldnt control him by the end of his stint in Coventry so i cant see what Sylvain being a rookie coach is going to get him to do.

Finny

According to a poster on THF, when they were younger Payette was sent to live with Cloutiers family for a while in an attempt to 'calm him down'.

Apparently it worked, and they are presumably hoping he can have that effect on him again.

Rempel16

I wouldn;t necessarily say that he doesn't listen to what wilson says. Its clear that Wilson asks him to forecheck and dump the puck, which is exactly what payette does.

There is no incentive for him on the third line. His linemates aren't going to be gamebreakers whether they are bullied or not so there's no real point in protecting them (in a roundabout way).

Now tell him that (for arguments sake) his job is to protect cloutier and huppe from being bullied so they can win the game and i would bet that he would do this admirably. No-one could go near calder and carlson in the grand slam year because if someone so much as breathed on them payette would be throwing his fists.

And the majority of this league is based on guys coming over for a bit of a jolly and some hockey, they certainly don't come for the money.

With regard thommo, i don't know the facts here so won't comment.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
I wouldn;t necessarily say that he doesn't listen to what wilson says. Its clear that Wilson asks him to forecheck and dump the puck, which is exactly what payette does.

There is no incentive for him on the third line. His linemates aren't going to be gamebreakers whether they are bullied or not so there's no real point in protecting them (in a roundabout way).

Now tell him that (for arguments sake) his job is to protect cloutier and huppe from being bullied so they can win the game and i would bet that he would do this admirably. No-one could go near calder and carlson in the grand slam year because if someone so much as breathed on them payette would be throwing his fists.

And the majority of this league is based on guys coming over for a bit of a jolly and some hockey, they certainly don't come for the money.

It's not so much not listening to the game plan, but not listening when Wilson tells him not to go starting stupid petty fights. Many a time you can see Wilson in Cardiff Visably upset with what Payette has done when he's lost his head.

I think his reputation in this country has gone to his head and he knows how he can wind a fan base up, its just this imo goes to his head.

he may well prove me wrong, and in a way i hope he does as the payette who played for Coventry was scarily effective at times. But i just think he's been a waster for so long now he wont get it back.

I thought cloutier would have been able to have shopped around and found a more effective player to fill the role Payette could be filling.

Rempel16

Gazza272 said:
Rempel16 said:

It's not so much not listening to the game plan, but not listening when Wilson tells him not to go starting stupid petty fights. Many a time you can see Wilson in Cardiff Visably upset with what Payette has done when he's lost his head.

I think his reputation in this country has gone to his head and he knows how he can wind a fan base up, its just this imo goes to his head.

he may well prove me wrong, and in a way i hope he does as the payette who played for Coventry was scarily effective at times. But i just think he's been a waster for so long now he wont get it back.

I thought cloutier would have been able to have shopped around and found a more effective player to fill the role Payette could be filling.
I agree with the 'petty fights' however I do feel that Wilson is liable to leading from example in this department.

Maybe his own thoughts about his own reputation are another reason for going off the rails somewhat. But i do feel that he is capable of being the player from his blaze days. In the belfast game where he fought robins and macmillan, scored a goal forcing overtime and offered thornton who was on the bench (mismatch i know) he showed in that single game that he has still got 'it'.

Cloutier needs to find a way to channel payette's aggression into the good of the stingrays and i sincerely believe that he will do that.

As such, it is also worth noting that after a very poor season, he is going to come far cheaper than previous seasons and in that sense, if all goes well, it will be a very shrewd signing.

Or, cloutier could go and find the younger model!!!

TheStub

Thommo has been courting him all season. So, it isn't a surprise.

Chambers is an ace player - but has been the big fish in the small pond for a while now. Guess he is probably on a good whack at Blaze now though.

There are other players I rate more, and hopefully G has his sights on the guys he needs.

So, not gutted really.

TheStub said:
Thommo has been courting him all season. So, it isn't a surprise.

Chambers is an ace player - but has been the big fish in the small pond for a while now. Guess he is probably on a good whack at Blaze now though.

There are other players I rate more, and hopefully G has his sights on the guys he needs.

So, not gutted really.
good player but i think we can find some one on par or better than him, yes he was 3rd? top point scorer in the league with the Bottom place team but i bet he is on a very high amount,

he must be Barrie moore's replacment or does it mean Sly wont be back with them?

ASHIPP

Spatzy said:
what do people think of chambers signing for the blaze? surely we could of put a bid in for him?
Like the Stub says, G probably had his 'wish list' of players for this season before last season ended and expect he knows which guys he thinks would 'fit' the style of play to fulfil the ambitions of the Devils for next season. Chambers is fantastic - wonder how that 1st line is going to gel at the Blaze? Awesome if they click! No suprise Chambers was courted by other clubs - almost inevitable he would go to a club near top of the league......and at a price.
:? And what about Sly, now?

Wannabe2

No doubt about Chambers being a very good player, has been doing it for a while over here, but i got a very sneaky feeling G is after bigger fish than Greg, and thats got to be a very positive move for us all. Hopefully by the time the complete squad is signed we will all be feeling pretty chuffed, and anxious for the season to start. We have got off to a very good start on the signing front, a few more class signings and we will be ready to ROCK AND ROLL.

ASHIPP

Wannabe2 said:
i got a very sneaky feeling G is after bigger fish than Greg, and thats got to be a very positive move for us all. Hopefully by the time the complete squad is signed we will all be feeling pretty chuffed, and anxious for the season to start. We have got off to a very good start on the signing front, a few more class signings and we will be ready to ROCK AND ROLL.
Wonder if there are going to be more announcements from the Devils this week - and if so, WHO?
God, this is not doing my health any good! I can't wait! :lol:

Spatzy said:
what do people think of chambers signing for the blaze? surely we could of put a bid in for him?
Heard the Blaze had to install 2 golden arches at the Skydome as part of the deal :lol:

Seriously though looking at the 1st couple of signings by the Chavs has me asking a few questions. Hirsch replacing Perras has gotta be costing a fair bit more, Chambers replacing either Barrymore or Sly has gotta be costing a bit more ( am reliably informed Sly was not on huge wages at Blaze wheras Chambers being one of leagues top scorers and prob highly sort after prob on fair bit more)
Cowley if he returns will prob be expecting a bit of a rise, Calder, Carlson, Weaver highly paid players who are not going to return for less.
Just begs the question that as the wage cap for Chavs is staying the same unlike Devils who have an extra £1000 pw to play with, where is Thommo going to make some savings to keep under the cap?
Cov wouldn't be trying to buy the league would they? Surely not. They would end up looking pretty stupid if they did not succeed :roll:
Wonder if our resident forum troll could shed some light on this. .................J.B.?????