Rumours Thread

The Devil said:
The worst we can do is give him a chance, as long as the D is there and has confidence in him, then it could be win-win... especially if we have the firepower up front... :twisted:
i was not to happy after i seen Lyle perform very poorly in some of the games i seen at the O but like people have stated that he should be given a chance, Giants did have the most offensive D in the league last year which left a lot of room at the back, for the opposition forwards to take advantage of, if we were to get the right 2 D men now to fill the spots then there is potential to let in fewer goals than a lot of teams,

With us looking likely to have

Import, Import, Import (prps, New, New)
Brit Import Import (Hill, Vother, Jay)
Import Brit Brit (G, Towe Davies?)

Jarvis, Hartwick, Richardson, Stone,

Lyle, Myres

Thats 8 imports, if we were to get the right 2 guys for the first line then we could even throw Richardson on the 3rd line leaving Davies as a 10th skater and go with 4 import D men, or would people think maybe having the extra import on 3rd line going with Richardson and 3 import D men?

With Richardson and G who can both play D our team has a lot of depth, Jarvis and Hartwick can both play forwards as well

Wannabe2 said:
Put that on top of the fact it allows us 10 skaters it could be a good move .
Can you afford 10 imports (including high earners like Voth and Latulippe) as well as Richardson and Lyle ? I thought I heard that the wage cap was being more strictly enforced this year ... :?

Gazza272

J.B said:
Wannabe2 said:
Put that on top of the fact it allows us 10 skaters it could be a good move .
Can you afford 10 imports (including high earners like Voth and Latulippe) as well as Richardson and Lyle ? I thought I heard that the wage cap was being more strictly enforced this year ... :?

Yes we can.

Finny

Gazza272 said:
Yes we can.
Barack Obama said so.

(Got to love the irony of a Blaze supporter complaining that another team might be breaking the wagecap lol).
You getting worried already JB? God help you when we announce the rest of our import signings!

Finny said:
You getting worried already JB? God help you when we announce the rest of our import signings!
Don't encourage people Finny!!!
I feel a bet coming on here.. something like... if Coventry are above the devils in the league by the time we meet for the last time in cardiff, a Cardiff fan will wear a Blaze jersey and sit with the blaze fans.... if its the other way around JB has to wear a Devils jersey and kiss the crest :lol:

A

Anonymous

The Devil said:
Finny said:
Don't encourage people Finny!!!
I feel a bet coming on here.. something like... if Coventry are above the devils in the league by the time we meet for the last time in cardiff, a Cardiff fan will wear a Blaze jersey and sit with the blaze fans.... if its the other way around JB has to wear a Devils jersey and kiss the crest :lol:
:lol: Im not volunteering for this but.....what a laugh I'd like to see that happen, of course no Devil will have to wear a Blaze shirt ;)

Chris

Administrator
Off-topic, but out of interest why are you looking forward to dropping a league?

You had a fairly good season for 08/09, reached 2 finals and weren't exactly getting hammered week in week out in the league games?

Chris.

Rempel16 said:
Would you not lose some/most of your fanbase playing at a lower standard?
Surprisingly not. I know when it was first rumoured at the finals weekend the vast majority of fans were behind it. We're sick to the back teeth of the EIHL's treatment of us as second-class citizens and it's not only the fans who feel that way.

Chris Stone said:
Off-topic, but out of interest why are you looking forward to dropping a league?

You had a fairly good season for 08/09, reached 2 finals and weren't exactly getting hammered week in week out in the league games?
Because it's the hockey I enjoy more. I don't give a toss about skilled imports, I want to see a bunch of British kids playing their hearts out for each other in a league where near enough anybody can win the league each year. It's never been about the standard for me, at the PO weekend the only two games I enjoyed were the juniors and that's when I came to this conclusion. If we played ENL as our only option I'd still watch them, it's still hockey and it's still Phoenix.

Plus, I reckon we'll be a step ahead of the game. This whole mess will reappear again next summer. The EIHL's going the same way as the ISL and sooner or later some people will realise that artifically inflating league standards by bringing in a bunch of overpaid imports every year results in unsustainable hockey. We need to start again with sustainable levels and build it from the ground up. Sadly, the various personalities in the sport will not allow this to happen.

Rempel16

Interesting to say the least.

I wonder in that case (and if christiansen hasn't already signed) whether Scott Neil might try and poach his old mate tony hand to coach edinburgh. hand is still way to good for EPL so i don't see it is beneficial for him to be play or develop his coaching at the lower level.

Rempel16 said:
Interesting to say the least.

I wonder in that case (and if christiansen hasn't already signed) whether Scott Neil might try and poach his old mate tony hand to coach edinburgh. hand is still way to good for EPL so i don't see it is beneficial for him to be play or develop his coaching at the lower level.
He's signed up for another three years regardless of what league we're in. Probably the most shrewd signing by any team in years.

Rempel16

James said:
But in the EPL he could continue playing another 5-6 years :) Look at Moria. For my own selfish reasons I hope you dont drop down.
He could probably cope at elite level for 6 years too!! His game has never been based on intense skating, it has always been great positioning and vision.

ASHIPP

The Devil said:

Or we'll just get our newspapers out and ignore them! :lol: :lol:

The Devil said:
I'll do it lol!! I have a few Blaze jersey's

ASHIPP

Chris Stone said:
Manchester to EPL, announcement next week...

Chris.
I see that the Phoenix are inviting their fans to a reveal evening in the next few days where owners and Tony Hand will talk about developments and 'possible' signings. But they are not giving anything away in that announcement. :?