Rory Herrman

Pembo

If British passport holder I wonder if can potentially count as homegrown which is helpful? My suspicion is probably won’t count as homegrown because seems like the rules are a bit weird. Mosey counting as import even though plays for GB etc. Welcome aboard Rory!

Rempel16

If British passport holder I wonder if can potentially count as homegrown which is helpful? My suspicion is probably won’t count as homegrown because seems like the rules are a bit weird. Mosey counting as import even though plays for GB etc. Welcome aboard Rory!
No, he'd be an import.

To qualify as a Brit in the EIHL you need to have played at least 2 years junior hockey in the UK.

James

Administrator
You cant get reclassified as a Brit. The international set up is different so he could, like Mosey probably play for GB but would still be classed as an import in the Elite.

kettdevil1

Is that the only criteria or can players naturalise if they have been in the U.K. for long enough?
As James said, he could play for GB in the future but in terms of being classed as being British in the EIHL he would have needed to have played Junior hockey in GB for a set number of years (off the top of my head can't remember how many years)

lloyd_jeff

It’s a stupid rule that seemed like a good idea, if only development was better, then it could’ve worked. Since it’s not and getting homegrown that can compete against and work with import players is missing, it’s spoiling the entertainment & making GB look below par. Bring in guys with British Passports who’ve developed in the States, Canada, Europe, we’d be a much better for it.

Finny

It’s a stupid rule that seemed like a good idea, if only development was better, then it could’ve worked. Since it’s not and getting homegrown that can compete against and work with import players is missing, it’s spoiling the entertainment & making GB look below par. Bring in guys with British Passports who’ve developed in the States, Canada, Europe, we’d be a much better for it.
So are you saying that the EIHL should scrap import limits or break UK law?

The_Stick_

Why bring in an untested import? Bayley Harewood is waiting in the wings and will only get better. The elite league and its tradition of constantly bringing in imports is the reason that GB hockey doesnt get developed.
Because Bayley Harewood will not develop whilst sat on the Devils 4th line getting around 5 minutes a night. Currently he is playing a top 6 role for the pitbulls where he is he relied upon as a top guy. That is going to do a whole lot more for his development

jenks33

Thread starter #34
Why bring in an untested import? Bayley Harewood is waiting in the wings and will only get better. The elite league and its tradition of constantly bringing in imports is the reason that GB hockey doesnt get developed.
If we wanted to call Harewood up for 7/8 games on the trot can we do that? I'm not sure how it works but when Harewood/Kelly etc get called up to the Devils it tends to only be for a game or two. Is it out of respect for Bristol that we wouldn't call them up for a month? Or are they only likely to stay with Cardiff for an extended period of time if there's an injury crisis?

Last edited:

pjj365

Because Bayley Harewood will not develop whilst sat on the Devils 4th line getting around 5 minutes a night. Currently he is playing a top 6 role for the pitbulls where he is he relied upon as a top guy. That is going to do a whole lot more for his development
That's fair comment but I do wonder if we could build on his GB U20 performance of 8 points (3g, 5a) and 8 PIM in 5 games rather than his going back to Bristol

The_Stick_

That's fair comment but I do wonder if we could build on his GB U20 performance of 8 points (3g, 5a) and 8 PIM in 5 games rather than his going back to Bristol
Oh absolutely it is something to consider, and I believe Bayley has a very bright future as a Devil, I just feel however that it would he better for his development that he stays within the NIHL as a top player, than taking the jump to the Elite League where his ice time is going to be minimal. In regards to Hermann, I’m sure he knows what role he’s coming into play. As soon as Coughler returns to the lineup up, Rory will likely spend most game up on the gantry (There’s another to be added to the ever growing list!) and I think he realises that, this is what I’m excited about. Rory is going to give 110% every game knowing his roster spot is not secured, and it may also give some of our other guys who some may deem to be coasting the kick up the backside the desperately need.

Last edited:

moggy#9

The obvious parallel here is David longstaff. He developed at the same time in Simon leach at Whitley bay. Longstaff started in the development team for an extra year while leach went up to the warriors. They were considered to be about even at the time, but ultimately longstaff ended up being a far better player.

Yes players should play up when there's an opportunity, but every player is unique and needs to be handled appropriately. I do think however that harewood is closer to being ready

osh

I get what you are saying..however, based on your assumption Harewood may only play 5 minutes a game on the 4th line…surely that means Herrman will only get around the same time on a 4th line ? If so, a rather expensive 4th liner then ?
Anyway, he is here and in training so I certainly wish him the very best in his 1st pro contract.

Diablo3

If we wanted to call Harewood up for 7/8 games on the trot can we do that? I'm not sure how it works but when Harewood/Kelly etc get called up to the Devils it tends to only be for a game or two. Is it out of respect to Bristol that we wouldn't call them up for a month? Or are they only likely to stay with Cardiff for an extended period of time if there's an injury crisis?
I think this is why we have Rory on the roster. He fits the requirements, no family, needs to prove himself, and knows he has a chance of better contracts next time if he works out. Regarding Bailey, I think at Telford they had first call, but at Bristol we do, however, I doubt they would like us taking him for multiple games at a time.

ASHIPP

If our new young player brings the energy and determination of Brandt, he will definitely not be sitting out games....he will be playing regular shifts because this time of year always means schedule congestion. There will be a real need for rest cover and injury cover.

Best of luck to Rory.