Romfo update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASHIPP

Sheincar said:
He was advised by someone at the club that if he left the country & came back he would then be on a tourist visa, whereas actually all the club needed to do was phone up & ask for work visa to be extended to coincide with end of course so he could do promo work & carry on with studies. Instead of which when he came back he was given a week to get out of the country. He was naive in trusting the person he asked for help. It led to him wasting a year of his life & not being able to finish his course.
Sorry but it doesn't take a genius to work out that a 'tourist visa' is not neccessarily going to allow you to return to the country where you are studying and stay for a lengthy period of time!

How can the club be at fault for giving him the correct information?! :? If someone, of their own volition, leaves the country in the middle of it for a holiday, surely it's the individual's responsibility to sort out their own requirements for that break?

Like has already been said, his original visa surely would have stated he was studying in the UK and had the expiry date to co-incide with the end of his studies...which continued until after the British ice hockey season had finished. Very confusing! :?

What sheincar has said is correct, the Devils incorrectly gave him a visa that finished in May and then advised him to take a holiday to get around it.
I don't really see why romfo should have to come on here to prove it???? Why does he need to prove it to anyone on here?
And I don't see how anyone can say that the Devils aren't even a little bit at fault here.

Thread starter #25
I was told he was only given a work visa that ran out in May. When the situation was addressed with the club, he was advised to leave and re-enter as a visitor. He went on holiday within his visa dates and that has nothing to do with the expiration. When bringing an import into the country an employer acts as a sponsor and provides the dates their employee will be living in that country. If the import is offered a contract including a degree, their visa should cover their contract. When inquiring about an extension or student visa at the beginning of the year, he was told not to worry about it. That is where he was naive in taking advice. I think the club should advise there imports correctly. Maybe he should come on here and state the facts.. :?:

ASHIPP

DvlsLuv said:
I was told he was only given a work visa that ran out in May. When the situation was addressed with the club, he was advised to leave and re-enter as a visitor. He went on holiday within his visa dates and that has nothing to do with the expiration. When bringing an import into the country an employer acts as a sponsor and provides the dates their employee will be living in that country. If the import is offered a contract including a degree, their visa should cover their contract. When inquiring about an extension or student visa at the beginning of the year, he was told not to worry about it. That is where he was naive in taking advice. I think the club should advise there imports correctly. Maybe he should come on here and state the facts.. :?:
If an individual takes a break within their visa dates, then where is the issue? Purely guessing now the only way it could have caused a problem was if the visa conditions stipulated that you must NOT leave the country during the duration of the visa? :? Is this correct?
And if the visa ran out in May, then that doesn't make sense either because a previous post has suggested the university course had finished at that time after the ice hockey season had finished in April. Was Scott still contracted to the Devils even if (allegedly) his studies and the ice hockey season had ended?

Sliput

nmase20 said:
What sheincar has said is correct, the Devils incorrectly gave him a visa that finished in May and then advised him to take a holiday to get around it.
I don't really see why romfo should have to come on here to prove it???? Why does he need to prove it to anyone on here?
And I don't see how anyone can say that the Devils aren't even a little bit at fault here.
Please bear with me as i am a bit confused.

How are the Devils even a little bit at fault ? When Romfo was first given his visa did he not check the 'end' date and then say to the management ''This runs out before my studies do'' and arrange to get it changed.

Also if he was given the wrong information then as an adult,anything to do with visa's etc..there are thousands of websites to check information on,why didnt he check himself as the ramifications are serious,as he has found out.

Has the person who gave Scott the info admitted they were wrong or are people just going on what Scott has told them ?

I am not having a swipe at Scott as i liked him as a player but just think that with something as important and legal as visa etc a persons word wouldnt be enough for me.

Thread starter #28
ASHIPP said:
DvlsLuv said:
If an individual takes a break within their visa dates, then where is the issue? Purely guessing now the only way it could have caused a problem was if the visa conditions stipulated that you must NOT leave the country during the duration of the visa? :? Is this correct?
And if the visa ran out in May, then that doesn't make sense either because a previous post has suggested the university course had finished at that time after the ice hockey season had finished in April. Was Scott still contracted to the Devils even if (allegedly) his studies and the ice hockey season had ended?

It is my understanding school finished in September. The club knew that and only sponsored his visa covering him until May. He did bring the issue up over the duration of the season and was told not to worry about it. In the past players have been told to stay after their visa date has expired and told "not to worry about it." In reality, if a player is caught doing this, they can receive a 10 year ban from the UK. This occurs throughout the league as well. In my opinion the team was cutting corners to avoid paying for a visa extension or student visa. In addition, this is wrong doing on the import if they are offered a degree in their contract. In the past it has always worked, but it is illegal and unprofessional. A lot like releasing a player and bringing them back a few weeks later.

Gazza272

DvlsLuv said:
A lot like releasing a player and bringing them back a few weeks later.

It's perfectly acceptable as per the contracts in the Elite league to release a player from their contract. Just as it is acceptable for ANY player to seek employment elsewhere and use their two week notice period.

At the point Romfo was released someone had to go, and it was him. Thats sport and isnt unproffessional for me.

Sliput

DvlsLuv said:
ASHIPP said:
DvlsLuv said:

In the past it has always worked, but it is illegal and unprofessional. A lot like releasing a player and bringing them back a few weeks later.
If it was so unprofessional and illegal.......why did Scott agree to come back.

When it comes down to it Scott is a big boy and he decided to listen to someone in an office (If its true) about a very important issue rather than go on a computer to look for himself !!!

Ultimately the error lies with him.

I think the point was it is unprofessional to release a player and then re-sign them.

In which case the Devils should have left him unemployed in order to remain professional.

Finny

I think someone on here has said before they went to Cardiff Business School? If so can they confirm that the courses run until September?

I always though that Uni courses finished towards the end of May with the graduation in early June?
I presume that the course wasn't running through the whole of the summer as Romfo wouldn't have go on a holiday out of the country if it had?

TheStub

Lots of Masters degrees run for a true 12 months, to condense the study into one year. Makes it cheaper, and easier.

As many have said, it is the individuals responsibility to ensure that their visa is in order. Also, unless the person giving him the advise was the club's lawyer, then I wouldn't have accepted it anyway.

Sheincar said:
Instead of which when he came back he was given a week to get out of the country.
Totally incorrect, if he was given a week to leave the country as you imply he would have taken all his packed personnel possessions including golf clubs with him :roll: And I also doubt his girlfriend would have left all her property as well!

Thread starter #37
phil PLT said:
Sheincar said:
Instead of which when he came back he was given a week to get out of the country.
Totally incorrect, if he was given a week to leave the country as you imply he would have taken all his packed personnel possessions including golf clubs with him :roll: And I also doubt his girlfriend would have left all her property as well!
Actually I spoke with him before they left for Paris, France. When advised to leave the country and re-enter as a visitor, he was detained upon re-entering at Cardiff airport. The immigration officers gave him one week to gather his belongings and leave the UK. In this time the team was scrambling to help him and arranged for him to fly to Paris and try the whole process again. They packed their belongings in case they were denied re-entry to the UK. The team is shipping his belongings back to the US.

ASHIPP

If Scott's work visa ran out in May, it would suggest that his contract with the Devils, for work purposes, also ended then. His study visa information should have taken him until the end of his course. If the Devils had no work for him or did not intend to re-sign him, technically they have no further employment responsibility towards him - they had no obligation to ring up to get his work visa extended because he would not have been working for the organisation after May. With changes in immigration law, he would have had to provide the authorities with hard evidence (job offer, contract, evidence of company registered as trading) of any new UK employer he was going to be working for between May and September - if he couldn't do that, his work visa would not have been extended. This applies to foreign nationals already over here or coming to this country.
The Devils organisation was absolutely right if they told him he could only re-enter on a tourist visa after May because he might not be working for anyone by then. It would have been up to him then to check out the consequences/conditions and extension procedure for visas after that time.
No disrespect meant to Scott but he did show a little naievity a couple of months ago when he advertised on this forum that he and his girlfriend were looking for jobs over the Summer in the UK without a work visa. As with most countries now, anyone looking for work must have a valid work visa and be eligible - I'm sure this applies in the USA too. Let's face it,you simply can't get away with something like that without endangering the company you are working for and yourself as an individual!

osh

4 pages of speculation, accusations and guess work. As I said, it's a pity that Romf or perhaps the club ) can't make a post to clear things up.

osh said:
4 pages of speculation, accusations and guess work. As I said, it's a pity that Romf or perhaps the club ) can't make a post to clear things up.
If Romf was advised on what visa to apply for by his emplyer and his employer the devils and G should have honored their word when they told him they were taking care of it long before he was deported. If they were taking care of it what did they do. I heard Romf found out the night before he left that the uni had him listed as part time - what was the organization doing and shouldn't Romf have felt confident that the devils were really working on it when G said he was and not to worry about it

Status
Not open for further replies.