Romfo update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1
I heard Romfo was deported and not allowed to finish his studies. Will he be returning to uni or playing elsewhere next season?

Gazza272

DvlsLuv said:
I heard Romfo was deported and not allowed to finish his studies. Will he be returning to uni or playing elsewhere next season?

I believe he was only on a one year course anyway, so whether what you say about deportation is true, he wouldnt have been back in Cardiff next season anyway.

Yes it is true, when I spoke to him he said he hadn't found a new team yet but was considering packing it in and starting a new career after how he was treated, however he could have just been saying this because of how pee'd off he was.

ASHIPP

Pardon my obvious ignorance but how can someone be deported if they were signed up for a one year course and their study permit allows that? Surely a deportation would only happen if an individual extended their stay without an appropriate visa to cover that.....or something along those lines? :?

Finny

That would be my guess to. 'Deported' is probably the wrong choice of word - but if their Visa only lasts a year they they would have to leave before being forced to.

James

Administrator
I think Scott went on holiday to Europe after his work visa expired and on returning to the country didn't have the correct paperwork. If he had stayed in the UK the issue wouldn't have arisen.

ASHIPP

James said:
I think Scott went on holiday to Europe after his work visa expired and on returning to the country didn't have the correct paperwork. If he had stayed in the UK the issue wouldn't have arisen.
Thanks James - received and understood!

Thread starter #8
I was told he was offered the uni program until September but was given a visa that expired in May.
James said:
Wouldn't that be illegal to stay in the UK without the correct visa?

James

Administrator
Personally I have no idea. I expect if your work visa has expired but you are studying over here, the immigration people aren't that bothered with you providing you aren't working. If Scott hadn't gone abroad and had to pass back through official channels, or I guess came back into the country as a tourist, the issue probably wouldn't have arisen. Like I said, I'm certainly no expert on matters, I'm sure there is someone on here who knows more about such things than me but I'm guessing it's just unfortunate, possibly compounded by a little naivety.

davew

I suppose IF he had not gone on holiday the border agency may have regarded him as an 'overstayer'. I do think that it is ashame that this incident re-inforces his negative view of us in Cardiff. I personally feel he should have been re-signed, and that says something coming from me as I don't rate many US players highly.

This scenario reminds me of problems I had at SeaTac aiport, following the failure of Continental Airlines staff at Houston neglecting to pass my used visa waiver form onto homeland security a year or so before...I was sweating buckets and thought that I would be returned on the next flight from seattle.

Sliput

davew said:
I suppose IF he had not gone on holiday the border agency may have regarded him as an 'overstayer'. I do think that it is ashame that this incident re-inforces his negative view of us in Cardiff.

How can (if its true about his visa ) something a border agency/customs do re-inforce his negative view of Cardiff ?
If and its a big IF his visa had run out in May he was breaking the law by still being in the UK.

nmase20 said:
because as he was doing a university course his visa should have been until September not May, simple.
Like Hartwick and Jarvis his uni course had finished and he was packed and ready to go back home to the States. Before doing so he decided to go on a short break to France which I understand led to his Visa problems. As James said there was a certain amount of naievty on his part.

ASHIPP

nmase20 said:
because as he was doing a university course his visa should have been until September not May, simple.
No. If the Devils organisation, in conjunction with the university had signed him up for a business course for the duration until September, then they would would have gone to lengths to ensure the visa covered that period. Sorry, but the Devils have had players studying at the Business School before this. Therefore this will not be the first time they have had experience of organising study/work visas for players and know what is required. Can only imagine something ELSE must have happened for an individual to be deported. Can hardly blame the Club for that..... or reach the conclusion that someone has been 'badly treated' because the conditions of the visa may have breached by the individual himself or herself.

Sheincar

phil PLT said:
nmase20 said:
Like Hartwick and Jarvis his uni course had finished and he was packed and ready to go back home to the States. Before doing so he decided to go on a short break to France which I understand led to his Visa problems. As James said there was a certain amount of naievty on his part.
No he didn't decide to. He was advised by someone at the club that if he left the country & came back he would then be on a tourist visa, whereas actually all the club needed to do was phone up & ask for work visa to be extended to coincide with end of course so he could do promo work & carry on with studies. Instead of which when he came back he was given a week to get out of the country. He was naive in trusting the person he asked for help. It led to him wasting a year of his life & not being able to finish his course.

ASHIPP

Sheincar said:
phil PLT said:
nmase20 said:
No he didn't decide to. He was advised by someone at the club that if he left the country & came back he would then be on a tourist visa, whereas actually all the club needed to do was phone up & ask for work visa to be extended to coincide with end of course so he could do promo work & carry on with studies. Instead of which when he came back he was given a week to get out of the country. He was naive in trusting the person he asked for help. It led to him wasting a year of his life & not being able to finish his course.
Surely the original visa included the fact he was studying over here and if it was until September (as has been suggested) then the visa would have stated that? Confusion here though because an earlier post suggested his studies had already finished - why would someone return to the UK to carry on with them if their course had ended?

osh

Lots of speculation as to why and how this has come about. It's a pity Romf couldn't post exactly what happened to clarify things, especially as he was quick enough to come on the forum to sell his gear prior to leaving !

Sliput

osh said:
Lots of speculation as to why and how this has come about. It's a pity Romf couldn't post exactly what happened to clarify things, especially as he was quick enough to come on the forum to sell his gear prior to leaving !
Ah but then if Romfo had come on here admitted it was his error then that would stop people slagging off some part of the Devils organization and we couldnt let that happen could we. What would people do then !! :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.