Romfo Returns...

Before you shoot me down in flames let me just put a couple of points accross:- I am really really happy that we have been able to sign romfo back, cant say I thought to much of him but that was only because I think the best is yet to come, I just have seeing a player messed about half way through a season. All I am concerned about though is that we are using him a bit......has it dawned on anyone that they were trying to get romfo into alternative-lower division clubs. That says to me we couldnt afford him but due to his degree the guy was in limbo. Is it a case now that we have thrown him peanuts to play for us just because we know he cant really refuse due to his degree and needing to keep oiled. If so that is so wrong and he should at least be paid his worth. If we have done this I hope it wont be a seasonal thing with players where we offer them a two year education deal and okay salary, then axe them halfway through the season only to re-sign them again cause we know they are stuck down here. But like I said welcome back scott, been away to long. Hope the club treats you well

Gazza272

Celticdruid said:
Before you shoot me down in flames let me just put a couple of points accross:- I am really really happy that we have been able to sign romfo back, cant say I thought to much of him but that was only because I think the best is yet to come, I just have seeing a player messed about half way through a season. All I am concerned about though is that we are using him a bit......has it dawned on anyone that they were trying to get romfo into alternative-lower division clubs. That says to me we couldnt afford him but due to his degree the guy was in limbo. Is it a case now that we have thrown him peanuts to play for us just because we know he cant really refuse due to his degree and needing to keep oiled. If so that is so wrong and he should at least be paid his worth. If we have done this I hope it wont be a seasonal thing with players where we offer them a two year education deal and okay salary, then axe them halfway through the season only to re-sign them again cause we know they are stuck down here. But like I said welcome back scott, been away to long. Hope the club treats you well

Well firstly, Scott is only studying for a season.

Secondly you seem to be criticising the club based on your own conjuncture :lol: the club said they would assist Scott in whatever desicion he made and he made it. If scott felt he was being used then he wouldnt have re signed for us.

Gazza272 said:
Celticdruid said:

Well firstly, Scott is only studying for a season.

Secondly you seem to be criticising the club based on your own conjuncture :lol: the club said they would assist Scott in whatever desicion he made and he made it. If scott felt he was being used then he wouldnt have re signed for us.
I think I would re-sign if I was half way through my academic year.......you probably would to...its a little strange that they were trying to get enl teams and basingstoke to sign him first. Then because he couldnt get a visa what options does he have...! Ill tell you: Return home and leave the work he has put into the degree, with no club to go to. Option 2, stay and complete his degree with no job or hockey match experience. Option 3 - stay and complete degree, possible take a huge drop in wages, but keep in match fitness in order to maintain his skill levels. ......... I really hope I am wrong and we have paid him the same or simular wages thats all. Fairness to the player.

James

Administrator
I'd suspect if the Devils did do that, news would soon get around and we'd have no one wanting to sign for us next year. Certainly in the past year or so (Since Matt took over) the club appear to have gone out of their way to look after players to ensure a good rep. Obviously we can't and won't know what goes on behind closed doors, but what you are suggesting seems suicidal for the clubs chances of good recruitment if true.

DevilDom

I think you are making way to many assumptions and basing your agrument on a worse-case scenario / actions by the Devils.

I'd like to think they did everything they could to give Scott options and then and only then they MAY have signed him back on a reduced salary, however IF this is true I bet he is still earning significantly more than what most students could expect to earn.

James...devildom.. Completely agree with you both. I Dont know what has gone on at the club.just like the rest, glad he is back. Nice to see the club resign him even if slightly reduced wages. My only point was I hope they havent taken advantage, as like james agreed, would be suicide for the club in long term. Cant wait to see him start now.

Celticdruid said:

For goodness sake get a grip!!
The Cardiff Devils is not a charity. It is a professional ice hockey club. It is not a refuge for failed players or players who don't quite make the grade.
Ice Hockey players know the score. If they are not good enough they get the required notice.....simple. And it works both ways. A player getting a more attractive offer in the middle of the season........gives the required notice.....and he's off!!!

wildthing74 said:
Jacko said:
its odd how 6weeks ago you were skint and couldnt afford him, and now your rolling in it and can.....i smell shenanigans
Why you care..Pot and kettle.Aren't you doing/done the same this season?
who have we released claiming we couldnt afford only to re-sign them 6 weeks later? so in this instance pot and kettle are still friends.

finny said:
Surely a Belfast fan can't be making comments about teams being over the wagecap ?!?!??!? :lol:
How many imports have Belfast had on their books all season?
where did i mention wage cap? i just think its odd, maybe your accountant forgot to carry the one :lol:

ASHIPP

Is it any co-incidence that Scotty's return to the Devils family co-incides with Matt Burge's return from Oz? I can only guess that the EPL/ENL options for Scotty were a decent attempt by the Club to look after him because, at the time, they could not afford him in the Devils team and because they look after their players. Got nothing to do with his abilities - he's proved his worth. Hats off to the Club for being able to re-sign him whatever the reason.
If Scotty and the Club are happy with the deal, that should be enough for the fans. :cool:

im just saying as an outsider with no emotional attachment to either romfo or the devils (well not much anyways) its a bit odd that you couldnt afford him and then 6 weeks later you can. what could have changed so dramatically in 6 weeks?

Im not saying anything untoward is going on it just seems odd. Also what sort of motivation would romfo have knowing hes the bottom import on your team?

wildthing74

What sort of shenanigans?Too me its a case of our owner funding strengthening the team.He is a wealthy man and its for the good of the team.
I guess the tide turned on Romfo.He was not highly though by some at first but won everybody over with his performances and maybe at the time of the gassing he did not deserve it.
Matt was away over Christmas for a month so maybe coming back he has rectified the situation.
To me its a win-win for all parties.Scott gets to earn whilst studying and we got the option of G stepping down to coach in some games or replace a non performing import.

Jacko said:
im just saying as an outsider with no emotional attachment to either romfo or the devils (well not much anyways) its a bit odd that you couldnt afford him and then 6 weeks later you can. what could have changed so dramatically in 6 weeks?

Im not saying anything untoward is going on it just seems odd. Also what sort of motivation would romfo have knowing hes the bottom import on your team?
I think it's more of a case of the following - Romfo returned to finish his studies that he'd started at the university (who wouldn't?) and the Devils decided that it'd be a good idea for him to be an 11th import. He's probably not getting paid very much.

TheStub

Jacko said:

There are any number of changes since Scott left. Matt comes back and redirect some funds, the attendances have improved over the previous weeks (maybe not permanently, but maybe the boost was enough to have enough cash in the bank to fund Scott), Scott was willing to take a cut to finish his degree, and am I wrong in thinking the new rink contract kicked in on the 1st of January (or in the last few weeks anyway) - could we have got a better deal on ice time, bookings etc?

We don't know the details, thankfully ;) What we do know is we have a defencemen who had hit form back - and have a club that can seemingly keep 11 imports on the books :D

Happy days :D

A

Anonymous

Jacko said:

Just as odd as say someone who comes on a Devils forum and has opinions of the club even though there's no emotional connections? :lol: