Richie.....

wildthing74

He wouldn't go to anybody else in the U.K but I guess the money in that league is too good to turn down.O'connor was said to be on 4 times his salary at Giants.

DevilDom

Couldn't blame him for leaving for that sort of pay rise and if I were advising him I'd tell him to go as its a short career and who knows what is around the corner. Just hope he is too settled here and can't bring himself to leave.

It is one of those can't lose situations. If he likes it, super. If he doesn't and wants to come home midseason, one of Steelers/Panthers/Giants (whichever isn't top) will throw stuipid money at him to "rescue" their season.

Wannabe2

Me too, i think Richie will be with us next season. The Draw of the money will be huge, but i think all things considered he will re-sign for us, just a gut feeling hope i am right.

voth26

I hope Richie is here next season but I dont think he will be, cant blame for leaving for the kind money they pay in the KHL. as said it's a short career and a spell there would set him up for a comfortable living, who knows a yr or so away and he could return to us, if he does go just want to say all the best richie you will be sorely missed at the BBT, still hoping you see sense and sign mind ;) ;)

wildthing74

If he does go then re signing Stevie is even more of a gamble.Being that he is the elite D man in the league it will be like being 2 import skaters down on last season's roster.

TheStub

Personally, if he's offered a contract out there I hope he goes. It isn't the KHL, but the second tier - but the quality is far beyond what we have over here. He'll come back having played for better coaching staff and alongside better players.

He should become a better player - better than he would be if he stayed here.

He can then retire back to the EIHL and bring that experience and quality with him. It will make the sport in this country better.

Aye Stub - and he'll still be playing for GB while he's abroad. It's the only way for the 'national' side to improve.

What we really need is for this to happen more; including people like Hill to Europe. Ideally then there would be traffic up through the ENL and EPL, into the EIHL and then some going abroad if they're good enough. It's what happens in all other sports, but with the way this one is organised in the good 'ol UK of GB&NI, I dunno.

WelshHabsFan said:
Aye Stub - and he'll still be playing for GB while he's abroad. It's the only way for the 'national' side to improve.

What we really need is for this to happen more; including people like Hill to Europe. Ideally then there would be traffic up through the ENL and EPL, into the EIHL and then some going abroad if they're good enough. It's what happens in all other sports, but with the way this one is organised in the good 'ol UK of GB&NI, I dunno.
They wont necessarily play for GB though. O'Connor missed this years worlds due to his playoffs clashing. If Richardson goes he could then miss next seasons championship.

Gaz G

I think Richie will talk to Max alot about this possible move. I'm sure Max signed for a team over there a few years ago and only played there for a few games before moving on to Germany? Not sure what the reason for this was but maybe he didn't like it?

From a 'glass half full' perspective, his house is not up for sale or for rent (yet!) and the Focus is still on the drive (but he has been away for a couple of weeks!) so will keep convincing myself he will be back... Come on Mark, you know it makes sense!!

ASHIPP

Richie leaving the Devils is an unbearable thought :shock: but in the end, he has to decide what he feels is best for his career.
Many players are simply never good enough to attract interest from teams abroad. Richie has worked so hard to deserve the tag 'Best British Defenceman'. A fine, fine player.

Losing him would be a massive blow for the Devils....and so many disappointed fans in his wake. :cry:

Have watched Richie develop since his first stint as a youngster at the Devils in the early/mid 2000's. Proud to say that it has been fantastic watching his game and appreciating that rarest of pleasures on OUR team for a while....... an import quality home-grown player. :cool:

Good Luck, Richie, whatever you decide.

Wannabe2

TheStub said:
Personally, if he's offered a contract out there I hope he goes. It isn't the KHL, but the second tier - but the quality is far beyond what we have over here. He'll come back having played for better coaching staff and alongside better players.

He can then retire back to the EIHL and bring that experience and quality with him. It will make the sport in this country better.
Your right Stub its the 2nd tier and there arena holds only 1500, hope Richie stays, Richie and Cardiff go together like Strawberries and Cream.

TheStub

Re: Re: Richie.....

Wannabe2 said:
TheStub said:

Your right Stub its the 2nd tier and there arena holds only 1500, hope Richie stays, Richie and Cardiff go together like Strawberries and Cream.
Second tier KHL is better than top tier UK. He should take it if he can.

I don't want him to leave, but Brits getting picked up by better leagues is only good for the UK game.

Re: Re: Richie.....

TheStub said:
Wannabe2 said:
TheStub said:

Second tier KHL is better than top tier UK. He should take it if he can.

I don't want him to leave, but Brits getting picked up by better leagues is only good for the UK game.
The league he is rumoured to be going to isn't the 2nd tier of the KHL, it is the official Kazakhstan league. The standard is no better then the EIHL and its not exactly a league where many players progress from but as has been said, the money is extemely good

Sheincar

Foxy said:
If he signs he'll be back before christmas.

He gets home sick in Cardiff :D
Richie will be going, however given that from June, there's a month's conditioning camp plus a month's training camp & the conditions under which the team live I would not be too shocked if he came back early.