Return of the BOOM

Very happy to see BOOM BOOM back, was starting to worry we weren't going to see him back in a devils shirt this season and personally I think he's an asset to any team and the devils wouldn't be the same without him.
I will leave worrying about being an import short when we come to the start of the season and a signing isn't made or when its announcement.
For now... welcome back BOOM!

D

Deleted member 1337

Great news to have Max back :) , I knew it was going to happen sooner or later though.

ASHIPP

Welcome back Max.A player who is part of the Devils' furniture! On the right line and injury free Max will be hopefully back to his best. Will be great to see him in the red,, black and white.

;) :D

voth26

has max been signed as a forward or a Dman?? just watched coachs corner with G and he was asked if we were going to start with a full quota of imports, G answered now that we have max signed we could use him as a "swing player" either as a forward or a D man!!! and IF the right Dman came along they would look into him, surely max's best asset is as a forward. I did hear a rumour that there was a possibility that we would use max as a Dman really hope this is not the case and we sign a dedicated Dman and max is used as a forward

voth26 said:
has max been signed as a forward or a Dman?? just watched coachs corner with G and he was asked if we were going to start with a full quota of imports, G answered now that we have max signed we could use him as a "swing player" either as a forward or a D man!!! and IF the right Dman came along they would look into him, surely max's best asset is as a forward. I did hear a rumour that there was a possibility that we would use max as a Dman really hope this is not the case and we sign a dedicated Dman and max is used as a forward
Going by the SOHB response, I'd guess the primary focus of the club is decreasing the financial losses even further. I'd guess 'the right dman' means someone who is cheap. Don't blame the club but hope I'm wrong.

That is my take on it to. Happy to proved wrong but it seemed to me that unless there was a significant amount of sponsorship money coming in soon we will be running with our 10 signed imports.

I still think we have got a fantastic squad this year and should be able to run 4 lines (nearly) during the season. I also think our power play will be very very good.

No point picking up a poor import for the sake of it (Tanaka,,sp?). Our young Brits will be much better than that IMHO.

Lets go Devils!

Wannabe2

To me anyone who puts together the sort of team we currently have, signs Matt Myers back to his hometown, has a team that looks like its goin to be a huge problem for any opposition, wants to hit the new arena season flying, gets everyone on a huge high, and then doesn't sign a 11th import is barking up the wrong tree. This team has a better look to it than any team for a fair while now, why oh why would you want to weaken that, it doesn't make sense, yes at the end of the day its about money, after all it always is, but we should be moving heaven and earth to put the final piece into the jigsaw. That's not to say this is not happening of course, and hopefully it is. Max on D no way, max is a game winner on his day and should be played in his natural position, we now need a natural offensive D Man to complete a Devils line up that could be the best for seasons gone. We are so close to being successful its untrue, our last signing is truelly crucial.

Foxy

Wannabe2 said:
To me anyone who puts together the sort of team we currently have, signs Matt Myers back to his hometown, has a team that looks like its goin to be a huge problem for any opposition, wants to hit the new arena season flying, gets everyone on a huge high, and then doesn't sign a 11th import is barking up the wrong tree. This team has a better look to it than any team for a fair while now, why oh why would you want to weaken that, it doesn't make sense, yes at the end of the day its about money, after all it always is, but we should be moving heaven and earth to put the final piece into the jigsaw. That's not to say this is not happening of course, and hopefully it is. Max on D no way, max is a game winner on his day and should be played in his natural position, we now need a natural offensive D Man to complete a Devils line up that could be the best for seasons gone. We are so close to being successful its untrue, our last signing is truelly crucial.
You should be used to it by now Wannabe it happens every blinking season

Koop11

Can’t say I’m surprised we’re going for 10 imports. First and foremost because this appears to be the trend now but more importantly I think we have invested so much in depth this year that we might be able to get away with it this time.

Having said that, it’s come November when we’ve lost players through injury and suspension that we will suffer. We’ll have to wait at last 6 weeks before we bring someone in because we’re looking for the ‘right guy’ when in reality funding has not been forthcoming. Same sheet, different season.

My slight concern in Max playing D is his game mentality. Max has all the capabilities to play D. Size, skating and heads up play but, despite the fact he has played D in former roles, I do wonder if his awareness and positional play will be strong. Max, for all his talent, I wouldn’t suggest is the most defensive minded of players. I’m also concerned that putting Max on D means we could be looking at a 30+ points down on our team contribution. Now if we were bringing in an 11 import forward to fill that gap then fine but the suggestion that we are not makes Max on D and even more unusual option for me.

I do hope my fears are proved wrong. Gerad certainly knows more than I and everyone else on here and I have full faith in his decision making.

Rempel16

If Max is going to be the d-man and we are running with just 10 imports, that means 4 import forwards.... 2 of which are Conboy and Lord, known for their gritty style more than goal scoring prowess.

If this is the case, we are relying heavily on Blight and Faulkner.... Really hope it's not true as we are losing a lot of scoring depth by dropping Max back.

James

Administrator
I'd read Gs comments as max could fit in either as forward or d so we had the luxury of signing either another forward or defence-man depending who was available. I'm not going to start worrying about us starting the season with only 10 imports till the season starts. We've a way to go yet.

DevilDom

The response to my question on Coach's corner hardly fills me with confidence that we will start with 11. It was a big step forwards getting Myers, it will be a step backwards not using our full quota from the start. Momentum is so important for building crowds as the season goes on. However saying all that if the budget doesn't allow then so be it. It sounds from G's response that it could be dependent on ticket sales for the pre-season games and further sponsorship deals, therefore we can all do our bit by buying tickets for these games.