Pope Resigns !

KaneDevils

It seems strange to me that the very people who found Adams' dismissal unsavoury are the same ones who have revelled in the personal insults, cat calls and the belittling of Brent Pope.
Like many others, I have thought of Devils' fans as just about the best ice hockey fans in the country. This season shows I have been sadly deluded.
Bingo!

Ocko

showboat said:
Ocko said:
Is that why every single junior team has struggled this year?

The problem this year has often been inadequately qualified or often not qualified at all coaches (which almost got the DCF shut down). Along with bullying allegations (against coaches), the DCF isn't the success story it is billed as. We have produced good players but that is down to the sheer hard work of the players and support of their families.
Spot on , many years ago the juniors were run by j burnicle and p smith (waffee ) devils players , parents wern't even allowed in the rink due to interference, maybe that is the way
forward but aint going to happen as elson and co want a happy ship, over the years the juniors have lost good coaches whose kids did not play the game given all kids a fair chance
. ;)
I remember that well. I came through the old Junior Development Programme years ago when John Burnicle and Waffy were the coaches. John Burnicle wasn't even involved with the Devils at that point either, he was a good coach for the youngsters.

As someone else has said coaching here is a real problem, people give up an awful lot of time and try their best but their is a difference between actually teaching kids the right way and making them do drills. I've watched a few junior games this year and the lack of understanding of positioning is pretty bad compared to other countries. We produce good skaters but we could really do with experienced coaches involved. But that's a whole different debate altogether :)

Devil94

miriam said:
Gazza272 said:
Sheincar said:
He made himself look like a pillock & slightly unhinged & made the club look even more unprofessional. Acknowledge his time with us? What like he acknowledged all the fans that made the trip to Scotland?

Aw come off it! He isn't stupid. One walk over to the crowd and he would have been met with the chorus of 'stand up if you hate Brent Pope' which was started during the Dundee game. It Petered out when we started winning all the games but there was certainly a portion of the crowd willing to sing it again.

He isn't that stupid and he probably did want to thank us (which I believe he did in subsequent interviews) but the guy wouldn't want to stand there just to get abused which even you cannot deny was a very real possibility.
That's very true.
The chanting of 'Stand up if you hate Brent Pope' was the most embarrassing time for me in 20 years of being a Devils' fan.
The majority of Devils' fans also looked suitably disgusted.
In the face of this, and 2 months of vitriolic abuse at the rink, on this forum and social media - he remained on the bench highly motivated, full of passion and determined to get the Devils winning. Hence the players achieved a 100% record on 3 very tricky Scotland matches.
It seems strange to me that the very people who found Adams' dismissal unsavoury are the same ones who have revelled in the personal insults, cat calls and the belittling of Brent Pope.
Like many others, I have thought of Devils' fans as just about the best ice hockey fans in the country. This season shows I have been sadly deluded.
I was part of the 'disgusted' group. No need for that at all, was completely embarrassed. Was interesting to see some fans sing that on the first night in Dundee where he was the other side of the rink, but then didn't have the guts to sing it the next night in Fife when the bench was right in front of us.

Ocko said:
showboat said:
Ocko said:
Is that why every single junior team has struggled this year?

The problem this year has often been inadequately qualified or often not qualified at all coaches (which almost got the DCF shut down). Along with bullying allegations (against coaches), the DCF isn't the success story it is billed as. We have produced good players but that is down to the sheer hard work of the players and support of their families.
Spot on , many years ago the juniors were run by j burnicle and p smith (waffee ) devils players , parents wern't even allowed in the rink due to interference, maybe that is the way
forward but aint going to happen as elson and co want a happy ship, over the years the juniors have lost good coaches whose kids did not play the game given all kids a fair chance
. ;)
I remember that well. I came through the old Junior Development Programme years ago when John Burnicle and Waffy were the coaches. John Burnicle wasn't even involved with the Devils at that point either, he was a good coach for the youngsters.

As someone else has said coaching here is a real problem, people give up an awful lot of time and try their best but their is a difference between actually teaching kids the right way and making them do drills. I've watched a few junior games this year and the lack of understanding of positioning is pretty bad compared to other countries. We produce good skaters but we could really do with experienced coaches involved. But that's a whole different debate altogether :)
try 17 years

miriam said:
Gazza272 said:
Sheincar said:
He made himself look like a pillock & slightly unhinged & made the club look even more unprofessional. Acknowledge his time with us? What like he acknowledged all the fans that made the trip to Scotland?

Aw come off it! He isn't stupid. One walk over to the crowd and he would have been met with the chorus of 'stand up if you hate Brent Pope' which was started during the Dundee game. It Petered out when we started winning all the games but there was certainly a portion of the crowd willing to sing it again.

He isn't that stupid and he probably did want to thank us (which I believe he did in subsequent interviews) but the guy wouldn't want to stand there just to get abused which even you cannot deny was a very real possibility.
That's very true.
The chanting of 'Stand up if you hate Brent Pope' was the most embarrassing time for me in 20 years of being a Devils' fan.
The majority of Devils' fans also looked suitably disgusted.
In the face of this, and 2 months of vitriolic abuse at the rink, on this forum and social media - he remained on the bench highly motivated, full of passion and determined to get the Devils winning. Hence the players achieved a 100% record on 3 very tricky Scotland matches.
I started watching the Devils from their first ever game until about two years ago.

I rarely missed a home match despite running a business 2 hours drive away from Cardiff for ten of those years.

I attended SORAC evening meetings driving those distances in very heavy rain, attended council meetings, marched through the City centre to campaign for our rink.

We were an incredible team with incredible supporters in the noisiest ice rink (WNIR) that I've witnessed.

It really saddens me to read what this club, that I loved so much, has become.

Gazza272 said:
bluedevil said:
Wearing a top hat on a nationally broadcast interview?

Somehow I don't think that is going to make a name for yourself anymore than having been a broadcast partner of Barry Davies or being employed to cover three Olympic games.
Must be right then if you don't think it. :roll:

KaneDevils said:
Can't we just acknowledge his time with us, what he has done for us, wish him the best, and move on.
I believe we are doing that, he arrived, hit a few pucks around, helped ruin the club, we wished for him to leave and now he has.

Our gain is someone else's loss. :lol:

AT68 said:
I started watching the Devils from their first ever game until about two years ago.

I rarely missed a home match despite running a business 2 hours drive away from Cardiff for ten of those years.

I attended SORAC evening meetings driving those distances in very heavy rain, attended council meetings, marched through the City centre to campaign for our rink.

We were an incredible team with incredible supporters in the noisiest ice rink (WNIR) that I've witnessed.

It could be argued that the poor fan attitude is a by product of years of poor ownership.

It makes it very difficult for an owner to run the business, but it can also improve the business as passionate fans draw new fans to the sport, fans moaning but still coming to the games is far better than people simply walking away and never returning.

I have only been to one game in the BBT, I moved abroad and on return went, I found it poor value for money and saddening, especially coming from being a fan from virtually the beginning of the sport in the late 80's to being a season ticket holder from the early 90's.

For hockey to survive in Cardiff and move forward we need the attitude and passion back, not only within the fans, but also it needs to be within the owners, managements & it would be nice from the mainstream media and to be visible by actions, not amateur interviews and post apocalyptic player views on the web.

The Devil Inside needs to be awakened in Cardiff.

chillee said:
..................................................................................................
It could be argued that the poor fan attitude is a by product of years of poor ownership.

It makes it very difficult for an owner to run the business, but it can also improve the business as passionate fans draw new fans to the sport, fans moaning but still coming to the games is far better than people simply walking away and never returning.

I have only been to one game in the BBT, I moved abroad and on return went, I found it poor value for money and saddening, especially coming from being a fan from virtually the beginning of the sport in the late 80's to being a season ticket holder from the early 90's.

For hockey to survive in Cardiff and move forward we need the attitude and passion back, not only within the fans, but also it needs to be within the owners, managements & it would be nice from the mainstream media and to be visible by actions, not amateur interviews and post apocalyptic player views on the web.

Serious query - lest I misunderstand........Have you only been to ONE Devils' match at the BBT ?

Sheincar

chillee said:
AT68 said:

A lot of the current supporters are only interested in watching hockey & not in getting involved in the club. If you disagree with them, their answer is well don't go - not that things should be improved. I certainly can't imagine many of them standing outside for a season in protest at players going unpaid etc.

KaneDevils

It's more a question, from my point of view anyway, that I don't particularly care if PR upsets a sponsor or two.
Sure it's not the best thing to do, but what can i say or do to stop him doing it again? He knows more about money making and business than I do. Plus I will never know the exact goings on. Only heresy, and rumours so on that note, I don't get involved, don't care, whichever way you want to look at it.
Same as player treatment too really. I'm not exactly happy hearing of players being told important things via txt or bloody twitter, but again, what can I do about it? As for the players not being paid, certain ones or whatever, my take on that would be that that's utter nonsense. Of course I may be wrong.
Personally, and it's been proven, I think that too many people, for whatever reason, seem hell bent on shit stirring and trying to cause trouble. When something does genuinely happen, a mountain is made out of a mole hill.

I love ice hockey as a sport, and Cardiff is my team. I see little happening, barring a disaster, that will change that. Life's too short.

Sheincar said:
[]
A lot of the current supporters are only interested in watching hockey & not in getting involved in the club. If you disagree with them, their answer is well don't go - not that things should be improved. I certainly can't imagine many of them standing outside for a season in protest at players going unpaid etc.
Been There. Done That. Bought the t shirt (literally). Got us nowhere.
I am afraid I need more proof that things have been that bad before I will make any kind of protest again.
What is wrong with wanting to buy a ticket and just going to watch a hockey match? You know these people well enough that you cannot imagine many of them standing outside? You must know a lot of people.

Sheincar

miriam said:
Sheincar said:
[]
I am afraid I need more proof that things have been that bad before I will make any kind of protest again.
What is wrong with wanting to buy a ticket and just going to watch a hockey match? You know these people well enough that you cannot imagine many of them standing outside? You must know a lot of people.
I read what they post on here. They say they don't care if we lose sponsors. They don't care how players find out they've lost their jobs. They don't care how they're thrown out of their homes. They don't care if the players are unpaid. Why the sarcasm & bitching tone?

Gazza272

chillee said:
Must be right then if you don't think it. :roll:

I'm sorry I didn't realise when I wrote ' I don't think' that this would somehow be construed as telling others how to think. How does that work? or are you just unhappy someone disagreed with you?

Now Craig if you would like to sensibly tell me why you think what I said is incorrect I will happily retort, if you make a good point I could even change my mind.

I would never be arrogant enough to think my words are gospel or that everyone should think them. Equally I never said that they were, you weirdly inferred that from what I wrote, even as stated I wrote it is simply what I think.

Now to get back on track, why do you think Brent was trying to make a name for himself in the media in which he already had a name?

Devil94

KaneDevils said:
It's more a question, from my point of view anyway, that I don't particularly care if PR upsets a sponsor or two.
Sure it's not the best thing to do, but what can i say or do to stop him doing it again? He knows more about money making and business than I do. Plus I will never know the exact goings on. Only heresy, and rumours so on that note, I don't get involved, don't care, whichever way you want to look at it.
Same as player treatment too really. I'm not exactly happy hearing of players being told important things via txt or bloody twitter, but again, what can I do about it? As for the players not being paid, certain ones or whatever, my take on that would be that that's utter nonsense. Of course I may be wrong.
Personally, and it's been proven, I think that too many people, for whatever reason, seem hell bent on shit stirring and trying to cause trouble. When something does genuinely happen, a mountain is made out of a mole hill.

I love ice hockey as a sport, and Cardiff is my team. I see little happening, barring a disaster, that will change that. Life's too short.
:RAWK

Gazza272

Sheincar said:
I read what they post on here. They say they don't care if we lose sponsors. They don't care how players find out they've lost their jobs. They don't care how they're thrown out of their homes. They don't care if the players are unpaid. Why the sarcasm & bitching tone?

Plenty of people care if we lose Sponsors. But then if a Sponsor is getting paid to be at the rink every week I hardly see what sort of sponsorship that is for the club, which was what was happening with some of them in the past, I beleive it was stated on here last off season this was the case.

Secondly you wanted Limatainen gone because he was injured, you didn't show any remorse for him being thrown out of his home, why was he any different?

Equally It's only ever popular players that people care about how and why they are told. I doubt people delved into the inner workings of Rod Hinks being sacked. In fact I think most people offered to pack his bag for him!

As was mentioned previously a guy in the NHL got traded In WARM UP! do you know what he did? he didn't go bitching and moaning to the nearest set of supporters, he packed his bag and didn't even get to play the Winter Classic, possibly the most watched game in the NHL outside of the Stanley cup final.

Sheincar

Gazza272 said:
Sheincar said:

Plenty of people care if we lose Sponsors. But then if a Sponsor is getting paid to be at the rink every week I hardly see what sort of sponsorship that is for the club, which was what was happening with some of them in the past, I beleive it was stated on here last off season this was the case.

Secondly you wanted Limatainen gone because he was injured, you didn't show any remorse for him being thrown out of his home, why was he any different?

Equally It's only ever popular players that people care about how and why they are told. I doubt people delved into the inner workings of Rod Hinks being sacked. In fact I think most people offered to pack his bag for him!

As was mentioned previously a guy in the NHL got traded In WARM UP! do you know what he did? he didn't go bitching and moaning to the nearest set of supporters, he packed his bag and didn't even get to play the Winter Classic, possibly the most watched game in the NHL outside of the Stanley cup final.
Never heard of sponsors being paid to be at rink until you've just posted it. So what are the details as those sort of sponsors are of no benefit to the club?
No idea what Liimatainen's living arrangements were. You tell me. He played 3 games. I never saw him play.
No idea of the detail why Hinks was sacked. I wasn't impressed by him personally.

Sheincar said:
miriam said:
Sheincar said:
[]
Oh the irony!

Finny

I don't have a problem with players getting sacked if they aren't performing to the expected standard. I would still expect them to be paid what they are owed though and treated with respect.

The Blight sacking/transfer to Sheffield though was bizarre/ridiculous. Our top scorer for the previous 18 months and we let him go to a club who go on to win the Playoffs. And it can't have been for financial reasons because we are in "the best position for a long time".

There was also no reason to get rid of Myers. Two players who are very popular in the dressing room and we kicked them out. Or rather, Pope kicked them out.

Gazza272

Finny said:
I don't have a problem with players getting sacked if they aren't performing to the expected standard. I would still expect them to be paid what they are owed though and treated with respect.

The Blight sacking/transfer to Sheffield though was bizarre/ridiculous. Our top scorer for the previous 18 months and we let him go to a club who go on to win the Playoffs. And it can't have been for financial reasons because we are in "the best position for a long time".

There was also no reason to get rid of Myers. Two players who are very popular in the dressing room and we kicked them out. Or rather, Pope kicked them out.

But wouldn't that lead you to believe there was more to it? I don't know what they were or if there was anything. But Something must have gone on.