Pope Resigns !

Koop11

It could be argued that this was inevitable with so many fans against Pope’s involvement with the club during the last couple of seasons. That also combined with his desire to settle down with a new love in life means a timely decision on his part.

Certainly a controversial character who, for good or bad, has put his stamp in the Devils history books.

I think given where the club is right now, this can only be a good thing for all involved. Nevertheless, I wish Pope all the best for the future. For the Devils, I see more changes afoot. I just hope stability is restored asap so the club can move onwards and upwards.

BostonBart22

look out G sheffield want pope. :lol: good luck poper 20 years with the club is a very long time, come back and cut the ribbon on the new rink, you deserve to be part of that at least.

august04

BostonBart22 said:
look out G sheffield want pope. :lol: good luck poper 20 years with the club is a very long time, come back and cut the ribbon on the new rink, you deserve to be part of that at least.
He'd be the last in my queue for that ribbon cutting job. I hope all ties have been severed and he never darkens the Devils door again. This news could only be bettered by Ragan clearing off too.

Temme

Would firstly like to thank Brent for his service to the club and wish him all the best in future ventures.

Would like to see Ragan stay, as under Whistle's guidance fingers crossed he won't mark any rash decisions, and they can build a strong and stable relationship.

Pope out just means one less body to pay, as realistically there was no need to be paying him anyway.

mweller

I thought the team played well when Pope was in charge, and I've never bought the simple "Pope = Dark Lord" narrative (which is not to say he's all sweetness and light either, it's usually a bit more complicated). But it was clearly over with the fans and that meant he didn't have a role effectively.
I also don't buy the "puppetmaster" line - it makes perfect sense for PR to have an MD he trusts in an area he is not an expert in, that's how most businesses work. But we ought to give PR credit here, he has seen that it isn't going to work with Pope now and made the change. Combined with putting Whis in charge, that seems to be a good couple of decisions aimed at trying to appease fans (or rectify mistakes). Now, you wouldn't see that happening at Hull...
So, good news really, as it makes for hopefully a more settled environment.

I will bite my tongue and not say anything that could be seen as negative about the departing person.

However, I will look to invest in the Canadian hat manufacturing industry...

davew

I too wish Brent success for the future.

His position was under threat the moment G was let go. It is right that he moves on, as that decision would have haunted both him and the club had he stayed.

All we can wish for now is that the right people can be found to rebuild the club.

I would expect a can of worms being opened. I don't think for a minute that the problems are entirely down to Pope - he who pays the piper etc Ragan did this with Simon Hodgkinson, and others and will continue to make bad decisions. Scapegoat springs to mind!

DevilDom

For many years Brent Pope was seen has a hardworking stalwart of the club by many people. His media involvement was seen as good thing for both the Devils and UK Hockey and he was generally reasonably well respected by most. Then Ragan came along.

Brent made mistakes, some very big mistakes and he was definitely not an innocent in all the shennagians going on behind the scenes but I do wonder who PR will find for his next fall guy. He is running out of options.

The environment at the Devils has become so toxic that I think and hope this is a good move for both Brent and the club and I to wish him all the best in whatever he does next.