PlayOff Final - 3/04 - 4pm - Chat/Updates

RhiO said:
It's annoyed me every season..... Panthers - you're at a neutral arena (in theory) so it's not your bench.
Something my friends and I were discussing today. It will never be possible for them to be neutral and I don't believe anyone who says they don't have any advantage playing on their home ice.

osh

Once again the play off finals proved to be a fantastic weekend of top hockey. Have to first of all congratulate the Panthers on their win and their battling qualities. As usual, met some old friends from different clubs and had a great weekend. Nottingham is a great place to go and watch the finals. We competed so well this season but are once again without silverware. There will be much to be said over the next few days and think I'll first of all digest this weekend and then comment as sensibly as possible. Finally, brilliant support from our supporters and all others who joined the 'red army' for the weekend!

Gutted for the team and the supporters. Tense game to follow on the blog. true, we fimish a great season with no silverware to show for it.
I just wonder how many of this team will the coaches manage to get back playing for the Devils again next year. :(

Re: Re: PlayOff Final - 3/04 - 4pm - Chat/Updates

Nitra said:
RhiO said:
It's annoyed me every season..... Panthers - you're at a neutral arena (in theory) so it's not your bench.
Something my friends and I were discussing today. It will never be possible for them to be neutral and I don't believe anyone who says they don't have any advantage playing on their home ice.
They also had their goal song played for them when they scored. Where was ours when we scored??

Really gutted we didn't win this. I thought we played brilliantly, but we let in some absolutley shocking goals.

This weekend pretty much sums up Lyle's season... MoM one night, awful the next.

I've enjoyed watching this team anyway, it's been a good year albiet without a trophy to show. I imagine G will be under pretty big pressure to win something next year, because this 'runners-up' thing we got going is getting out of hand (4 in the last 2 seasons!) - I really think despite some poor goals going in beforehand, we bottled the third period.

Panthers deserve a lot of credit for battling hard and sticking in there. A positive from this is that maybe Corey will keep his job lol.

Obviously really gutted at the result yesterday.
However, the standard of refereeing did nothing to aid our cause.
First off, why did Kowalski not get a penalty for the high stick on Pelle 15 minutes into the second period.
I just watched it on Sky + and the commentary suggested it may have been accidental!!!
Then, there was the cynical net pull down by Neilson. OK We did get the penalty for that, but I'm listening to the commentary and they're saying he had no choice and there's such a thing as a good penalty to take!!!!!!!
I can cope with losing, but cannot deal with a team, or fans, or commentators, who condone this sort of thing. What message does that send to players?
I'm not even going to comment on the penalties against Weller/Matzka at the end which were just ridiculous given what he had let go against us
As for the news at the start of the game that the Elite League have seen fit to have the Play Off Finals weekend at Nottingham for the next five years, then that just confirms that I won't be going again for at least that length of time.
Apart from the home ice advantage it gives the Panthers, it simply isn't fair that their fans never have to pay to travel.

Unfortunately it's all about which venue would generate the most revenue for the league. Agreed with the home ice advantage being unfair, although it's not like there are other centrally located large ice arenas that could be used. The Panthers being the richest team in the league probably helps too. I'd rather they held the playoffs in Braehead Arena, at least it's more neutral.

It's a shame they couldn't rig up a temporary rink somewhere like Wembley, Twickenham or even the Millennium Stadium, although the league could never generate the numbers to break even on a venture like that. It'd be nice to hope though.

TheStub

The MEN? Blank off the upper tier until they grow the event beyond the current size.

The 5 year announcement said to me that the league doesn't think it will grow. A statement about the long term stability of the league? No - every tin pot organisation can sign long contracts, this just means that the league are constrained by the NIC if they last for that long.

It is short sighted. If the Devils kept that following and Clan and Rays saw big increases again (along with the Stars) this could make the NIC too small in 2-3 seasons (accepting the probable loss of the Vipers block).

But, at the very least - if we are to use the NIC they should avoid using any of the NIC matchnight production team. It made me sick right through the Steelers and Devils game - it really was like watching a Panthers home game.

As usual some varied and interesting points.

My opinions....
- Weekend was great, venue is excellent,
- 3 of the goals were our errors, G & Lyle will be kicking themselves
- referee appeared very biased towards Panthers, whether intentional or not (and I was glad when I saw it was not Darnell or Hicks)
- Devils fans were superb - but hats off to Clan and Vipers fans too,
- still in shock seeing the Steelers supporting us - how much must they hate Panthers!
- previous comment around 'neutral' venue - maybe we chose to have that bench and that end for our fans?? Even if we did, the whole playing of 'their' goal song when they scored was very unfair to all the other teams (and 5 years more to come)
- On previous point, where else could the finals be held if not Nottingham? Wembley? NEC? We have 5 years to decide I guess...
- Couple of Devils fans heckled during 'the other' national anthem - lowering hockey to soccer status if that happens - shame on you
- 50:50 winner was in corporate box above us - money goes to money!!! :lol:
- Did I mention Hanson was poor? Watched on TV when got home and unless Weller has elbows where shoulders should be no idea how that could be called - I think Matzka was asking Hanson if he had done biology in school...
- At the end of the day a great team, a great set of fans but no silverware - such a shame - the best team got nothing - apart from player of the year awards from the league - proof we had the best players, alas lady luck (and officials?) not on our side...

To the players - be very proud - and enjoy the break. Hope all/most/some are back next year :twisted:

mazza03

RhiO said:
Sitting in our hotel room - still so gutted we lost. I know I may get flamed for this but I think we lost that game rather than the panthers winning it. At least 3 of their 5 goals came as a direct result of our defensive errors.

Just a quick question - if we were the "home" team why did the panthers have the home bench and dressing room. Surely they should have been on the away bench. It's annoyed me every season..... Panthers - you're at a neutral arena (in theory) so it's not your bench.
Totally agree Rhio, we gifted the Panther 3 goals with bad line change, bad face of and that one behind out net (don't know our player) gifted the puck to Panty player............... goal. to say I'm gutted is an understatement.

And again you are right about the bench and dressing room and I think questions should be asked. Oh forget to mention Hanson, what ref give not one but three penalties with just over 2 minute? We had no chance of getting an equalizer .:twisted: :twisted:

TheStub

Re: Re: PlayOff Final - 3/04 - 4pm - Chat/Updates

mazza03 said:
RhiO said:
Sitting in our hotel room - still so gutted we lost. I know I may get flamed for this but I think we lost that game rather than the panthers winning it. At least 3 of their 5 goals came as a direct result of our defensive errors.

Just a quick question - if we were the "home" team why did the panthers have the home bench and dressing room. Surely they should have been on the away bench. It's annoyed me every season..... Panthers - you're at a neutral arena (in theory) so it's not your bench.
Totally agree Rhio, we gifted the Panther 3 goals with bad line change, bad face of and that one behind out net (don't know our player) gifted the puck to Panty player............... goal. to say I'm gutted is an understatement.

And again you are right about the bench and dressing room and I think questions should be asked. Oh forget to mention Hanson, what ref give not one but three penalties with just over 2 minute? We had no chance of getting an equalizer .:twisted: :twisted:
It was G behind the net. Also forget Lyle dropping the puck into our net.

We gifted the Panthers this... but they still only won by 1 :evil:

Hanson gave the worst display I've seen in an Elite game (and I've seen Hicks). He can't handle the big games, and just bottled it totally. Bring back Boniface.

Hanson was dreadful, but we lost the match... I can't blame him for the loss :(

Absolutely gutted, the devils gifted the panthers the playoffs and have now come away once again with NAFF all.
Lyle's net minding was suspect to say the least and gave panthers 3 of those goals, i wouldn't be too upset to hear he's not back next year. A number of times G has mentioned how if hes the best player on the team they win games, and i think this could be a pointer toward the inconsistency we see from him.
Finnerty got frustrated toward the end of the game and became a bit of a liability, he had no need to concede that penalty at the end of the game.
Very disappointed to come away from that season with nothing but on the plus side i have really enjoyed watching this team play.

Finny

Watching the goals back, Lyle wasn't to blame as much as I thought and he made some stunning saves in the first two periods.

First goal was a fantastic tip by DAB.
Second was a mistake behind the net by the defence. Myers was then gifted the goal alone in front, though Lyle will be disappointed not to get anything to it in the end.
Third goal looked like Lyle was to blame until you see it from the other angle. He has it covered all the way until at the last minute Max tries to clear it, only for it to flip up off his stick and bounce over Lyle's pad.
Fourth was a brilliant finish by Ryan.
Fifth goal was Mark Smith rushing to get to the puck and in doing so knocking Lyle's stick out of his hand, meaning he couldn't cover the ice and so DAB slid it between him and the pads.

I could point out who made the mistakes and who didn't turn up on the day - but it wouldn't be fair to criticise them for one or two bad periods after they have been brilliant all season long.

For two periods we were the better side IMO and deserved to be further ahead but just when it looked like we would we gave away soft goals. We had Nottingham on the rack but Hanson kept his whistle in his pocket allowing the Panthers to hook and hold and keep themselves in it. Their third goal was seconds after MacRae had been hooked back when in a good position yet Hanson called nothing.
In the final period it was all Panthers and once they took the lead they sat back with an extra man on D to kill the game with less than 10 mins to go. When we finally started playing again Hanson found his whistle but his inability to tell a shoulder from an elbow killed off the game.

Some people will complain about our players losing their cool and getting kicked out. I was actually delighted to see it as it showed how much they cared and were gutted they had missed out. Perhaps a couple of them will feel they have unfinished business in Cardiff and return for another season.

Still very proud to be a Devils fan.

Finny said:
Some people will complain about our players losing their cool and getting kicked out. I was actually delighted to see it as it showed how much they cared and were gutted they had missed out.
Your glad our players lost their cool in the dying minutes of the game when we were only one game behind because it 'showed how much they cared'?? I would rather they showed they cared by putting the puck in the net than sat in the dressing room but i guess that's just me.

Finny

nmase20 said:
Your glad our players lost their cool in the dying minutes of the game when we were only one game behind because it 'showed how much they cared'?? I would rather they showed they cared by putting the puck in the net than sat in the dressing room but i guess that's just me.
We were short-handed and then double short-handed. Our chance to equalise had been taken from us - I'd rather they then go around hitting anyone in sight than just go through the motions for the final two minutes.

Tad#

Finny said:
Watching the goals back, Lyle wasn't to blame as much as I thought and he made some stunning saves in the first two periods.

First goal was a fantastic tip by DAB.
Second was a mistake behind the net by the defence. Myers was then gifted the goal alone in front, though Lyle will be disappointed not to get anything to it in the end.
Third goal looked like Lyle was to blame until you see it from the other angle. He has it covered all the way until at the last minute Max tries to clear it, only for it to flip up off his stick and bounce over Lyle's pad.
Fourth was a brilliant finish by Ryan.
Fifth goal was Mark Smith rushing to get to the puck and in doing so knocking Lyle's stick out of his hand, meaning he couldn't cover the ice and so DAB slid it between him and the pads.

I could point out who made the mistakes and who didn't turn up on the day - but it wouldn't be fair to criticise them for one or two bad periods after they have been brilliant all season long.

For two periods we were the better side IMO and deserved to be further ahead but just when it looked like we would we gave away soft goals. We had Nottingham on the rack but Hanson kept his whistle in his pocket allowing the Panthers to hook and hold and keep themselves in it. Their third goal was seconds after MacRae had been hooked back when in a good position yet Hanson called nothing.
In the final period it was all Panthers and once they took the lead they sat back with an extra man on D to kill the game with less than 10 mins to go. When we finally started playing again Hanson found his whistle but his inability to tell a shoulder from an elbow killed off the game.

Some people will complain about our players losing their cool and getting kicked out. I was actually delighted to see it as it showed how much they cared and were gutted they had missed out. Perhaps a couple of them will feel they have unfinished business in Cardiff and return for another season.

Still very proud to be a Devils fan.
My only complaint about the game was the ref again. He let almost everything slide (for or against Devils) in the 1st and 2nd, but decided to use his whistle when Devils were down by a goal. Also, I doubt it meant any think, but did anyone else notice Hanson wave to the Panther fans at the start? Like I said, I doubt it mean't anything, but it's not very professional of him when it's there team playing in such a important match. Some could easily see that as in a different light..

I agree with Finny - glad the passion was there. Tylor posted some good comments on his Twitter, and Kenton's Facebook says a lot!!!

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, how many times did the linos get in the way of the puck when it was being pushed along the boards??? I am sure they have been on the ice during a game before where people use the boards - or is it something we invented yesterday and has caught them by surprise??!!

Tad#

Baz-lar said:
I agree with Finny - glad the passion was there. Tylor posted some good comments on his Twitter, and Kenton's Facebook says a lot!!!

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, how many times did the linos get in the way of the puck when it was being pushed along the boards??? I am sure they have been on the ice during a game before where people use the boards - or is it something we invented yesterday and has caught them by surprise??!!
Trust me Baz-lar, you have no idea how many times that has happened at the Skydome this season. I remember one of them got in the way once and the puck bounced of his skate straight onto the stick of opposing player, creating a 1 on 1 chance with the keeper...

Tad said:
Also, I doubt it meant any think, but did anyone else notice Hanson wave to the Panther fans at the start? Like I said, I doubt it mean't anything, but it's not very professional of him when it's there team playing in such a important match. Some could easily see that as in a different light..

Moray Hanson was just responding to the usual Chants of "Hands up for Hanson"

ASHIPP

The Devils must be devastated - but TBH, despite all their hard work and relentlessness, they were edged by a very good cup competition team. Congratulations to the Nottingham Panthers who showed self-belief and clawed (sorry about the pun! :oops: ) their way back at every stage.
The game was really won for them at 4-4. You could see the momentum and confidence was with them. Although the Devils worked hard, by the time they re-grouped and started to play like in p1, it was too late. Ironic that the Devils have had the measure of this Panthers' team all season, but not in the game that really mattered.

I am particularly gutted for our goal scorers :cry: - Jon, Finner and the Vother - who lead by example and flogged their guts out on every shift to keep us in the game. :cool: No point in discussing the performances of the other players - the season has gone.

Very dissappointing to see some of our key players in the bin/ejected in the final moments. Right or wrong reffing calls, it's yet another bad memory of the Playoffs for Devils and their fans. :evil:

This takes nothing away from the personal acheivements of individual players this season - or the thrilling hockey played by this team. Let's thank the team and enjoy the Fans Farewell tomorrow night. And look forward to a long summer of rumour chaos!
I am still very proud to be a Devils fan :cool: ....and hopefully many of the players will feel proud enough to remain as Devils next season. It's our 25th year and it's going to be SPECIAL. ;) :?