PlayOff Final - 3/04 - 4pm - Chat/Updates

voth26

first off have to say a big thanks to the guys for a great season of hockey, gutted we didnt win any silverware as they deserved to for all their efforts, now to get flamed how the hell can you criticise a player for scoring a goal!!! whether he's in the right position or not, even if he hasnt been playing well :roll: a goal's a goal !!!, and could have been the winning goal imagine that ;) secondly while we are the best fans in the league we are also the most fickle, if a player isnt amongst the fan favorites they get slated on a fairly regular basis, to be honest if i was a player i would think very very long and hard about returning or signing for the first time. and before i am flamed it's my opinion the same as other people have posted their opinion on the above comments in previous posts

jimmy snels

it was a good tight hockey game IMO and in games like that individuals can really effect the outcome. lyle, as many of you will know, is who i think the weakest link in this team this year, and he again showed why with some poor stuff in net. G's error for their 2nd was absolutly abiysmal. he should have benched himself for 5 and played symo to straighten himself and get back on it.

i'll be getting my season ticket this week so its not broken my spirits that much :D but hopefully G will sign a few of our better players back up and we can replace the out going ones with just that extra sprinkle of gold dust to win us the lot next year :D

E.D.S.

Am I the only one that thought the Nott V Shuff game wasn't that great? As a spectacle it was really entertaining but as a hockey game it was poor. There was very little territory or recycling of the puck in the end zones. The stats would probably show a 50/50 split in terms of territory but that's because it was going from one end to the other. As I said, a great spectactle but a poor hockey game that was full of nerves, mis-handling and pucks bobbling everywhere - but I guess that's the pressure of play off hockey.
As for the final....I think the turning point for us was the tap in for Myers following G's turnover behind the net. We let them straight back in. If we had held out for another minute or two and kept the puck away from our net I believe we would have been home and dry. It's a real shame G did that as I thought he had a great tournament and probably his standout season as a Devil.. I do agree with other posters about the possibility of using Borrows, especially to relieve our second line, as I thought Phil Hill looked tired and wasn't having a great game. Equally I thought Sam Smith's naivity showed at times. On the 4th goal he chose a poor time to do a line change which left, was it Bellamy (??), to go one on one with Smith and score. That's not me blaming him for 4th goal as it should never have got that far but for me he never really seemed settle during that game. He's young and he's had a great season so hopefully he'll re-sign and come back strong next year as he has such potential. I just feel that Burrows might have been able to give Sam, Phil and Brad time to either catch their breath or settle down a bit. Sam's first season and he's playing in a major final. That's massive to deal with.

Lyle was phenomanal in the semi but looked shaky in the final. I thought Stuuuu worked hard and when are the league going to test Tylor for perfromance enhancing drugs?? That guy is incredible. Speed, hits, work ethic, determination - what a player. The difference for me when looking back on last year is that we threw it away this year which makes it even harder to take. I am totally gutted but thankful to to G for pulling together such a great team and making this season absolutely cracking. Regardless of how I feel you can only imagine how bad the guys feel. Seeing them lying on the ice at the end of the game was the hardest thing to see. A phenomenal season and nothing to show for it.
Well done lads, you gave it your all and just came up short. You've been a pleasure to watch.
Happy off-season guys.

It wasn't Sam Smiths naivety; it was the bench calling him over to change, thus distracting him as he didn't know whether to leave the ice or not, subsequently allowing the breakaway.

Also, I am with you in that the Sheffield Nottingham semi was boring and lacked passion from either team.

I am really looking forward to watching this game again once we get it downloaded... be interesting to see things from a different literal angle...

E.D.S.

Clare said:
It wasn't Sam Smiths naivety; it was the bench calling him over to change, thus distracting him as he didn't know whether to leave the ice or not, subsequently allowing the breakaway.

Also, I am with you in that the Sheffield Nottingham semi was boring and lacked passion from either team.
Fair challenge but I guess that's what I'd class as naivity. The benches will always call for a line change but it's up to the player to make the call as to when it's right to go. In my opinion I think he got this wrong but I know this will be something he'll improve as he becomes more experienced. As I said in my earlier post....Great talent, great potential. I don't want to dwell on this as it wasn't the main reason for the goal and it wasn't the reason why we lost.

to be fair to sam smith though the guy still had the dman to beat who backed off too far and ended up screening lyle, lots of individual errors lost us the game plus a few lucky bounces keeping nottingham in with a shout when we should have been out of sight by the end of period 2!

Slightly off topic but when i watched the game back i was totally fuming that whenever we scored they showed Sheffield fans!!! The Red Army were continually supporting the boys all game and when we have our celebrations, especially the 'shoes off on sunday' we weren't shown, and we made more noise as well!

As to the game imo we lost it, Nottingham didn't win it, but they did 'bring it' in the last period and definately outplayed us then. Their first goal was just a shocker defensively by us and one of the other goals i think it tipped maxxie's stick and popped over Stevies pad.

Totally gutted on the day but looking forward to next season now lets hope we have the same, if not greater level of enjoyment that we experienced this year!! :)