Player opinions ....

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
Following on from the complete plank that slated Bownsey after the Coventry loss and the subsequent forum fall out,I have a suggestion and was wondering if this was workable?

In future if Poster A thinks Player X has not had a great game, strech of games, isn’t putting in the effort etc etc then instead of Poster A just slating player X, Poster A must state his / her reasoning then also put it out as a poll.

If the aforementioned isn’t undertaken then the mods can freely delete the post without question (categorised as unqualified judgment).

So the upshot could be - a shift in forum behaviour (which admittedly might take a little time to bed in) coupled with the addition of the mandatory poll to subsequently Understand consensus with Poster A’s opinion.

Probably not a perfect solution, but any thoughts / suggestions ?

Last edited:

jimmy snels

i think your looking way more into this than required. for all concerned if someone thinks player x is doing good/bad/indifferent just post your views. it certainly helps if you try to support that statement with justification for that opinion.

i.e - "i think dixon was our best new player this year. that guy seems to never take a shift off, what a work rate"

Devilsatw

I’m not getting into a debate with this again.
But il give a few reasons why I slated bownsy.
It’s Because there was no way that goal against Coventry should have went in. No one was in his way, the shot wasn’t hard or accurate.
in fact it was a poor shot any eihl keeper should have saved.

That first goal as lord has said was very crucial and we were chasing all night.

Against Dundee we were 2-1 down and still in the game when bowns went behind the goal to collect the puck only to mess it up and leave the stars player with a open net.

These are just two errors out of atleast 10 he has made that pissed me off.

He makes to many to be classed as the best goalie in the league. I think he’s replaceable and wouldn’t mind seeing another goalie in net or give murdy a shot.

End of story.

Rich Best

It’s Because there was no way that goal against Coventry should have went in. No one was in his way, the shot wasn’t hard or accurate.

That first goal as lord has said was very crucial and we were chasing all night.

Against Dundee we were 2-1 down and still in the game when bowns went behind the goal to collect the puck only to mess it up and leave the stars player with a open net.

He makes to many to be classed as the best goalie in the league. I think he’s replaceable and wouldn’t mind seeing another goalie in net or give murdy a shot.

End of story.
Rubbish, sorry but complete rubbish.

I think we should have a poll and prove what the majority think of Bownsey, proving you are in the minority my friend.

jimmy snels

bowns also makes some good saves. those mistakes mentioned were particularly poor and i get why you could judge from them but i think you need to consider the whole picture. He is an EIHL standard goalie, probably not the best one imho but definitely up there. But to put an import in net you would need another brit outskater to fill those 4 lines. who could we get for those positions?
fans need to consider all aspects before being so harsh imho.

Samael

l've never set another inferno user to ignore but christ on a bike devilsatw, l think you might be the first. Your comments are not only grammatically painful to read but your arguements are wafer thin and if anyone doesn't agree with your view you respond like a petulant child. lt says you are 29 on your inferno profile, your contributions here are that of someone 20 years younger than that in my view.

l've said in other threads l don't agree with people being banned/moderated but if you carry on like this l won't be at all surprised if that is what happens to you on here. PLEASE, give it a rest.

Earnie

Player Opinions - surely the best way is to keep your opinions to yourself.
If you are compelled to go down that road then chose your words very carefully.

Samael

Banned for voicing my opinion?

I wouldn’t be surprised to be honest.
Voice your opinions by all means, but do it constructively. You don't have to be full of gushing praise about everything related to the team, but there's no need to be so rude about players eithers. It's been spelled out to you numerous times by other posters here and you just keep going on and on digging yourself into an already deep pit.

Rich Best

Banned for voicing my opinion?

I wouldn’t be surprised to be honest.
"Bowns can do one!! He was right in his interview wasn’t he that the title race is stressful. Sloppy goal tonight and a howler against stars. Bye bowns"

That isn't what I call 'voicing an opinion'.

It is a rude and inflammatory post, not substantiated by any facts.

Bownsey's save percentage this year matches his best ever performance in the EIHL -> https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/38637/ben-bowns .

So I am not being inflammatory (or happy clappy) by saying your comments are rubbish. They are rubbish. FACT!

Swarley

End of story.
Slating a player isn't constructive or helpful it's exactly what you said it's slating someone.

The soft goal against Coventry was a confusing one, yes it was a clear open shot but hardly anyone actually notice where the puck was for all we know it could of been in a blind spot, Bowns head might of been facing that direction but his eyes could of been looking elsewhere to ensure he was covered by his defence either way it was a weird goal.

The Dundee game, seriously get off your soap box he did what every goalie would do which is clear the puck, if anyone is to blame for that goal it would of been the defence for not keeping the Dundee players covered but again it's situational it happened and yet he still only took one goal at home during the entire month of march, that's a rare feat to obtain and as such proves he's a brilliant net minder.

If you're that convinced he's utterly shit, gear up get on the ice and show us exactly why you would be better than him, because unless you play in his shoes you don't have the first clue wtf goes through his mind when he's preparing to make a call on a save.

trapped

The general rule of being able to voice an opinion on a player, good or bad, has to prevail, otherwise what is the point in having a forum? We all have different opinions about the game, that is the beauty of it. We are ultimately all supposed to be pulling in the same direction, which is wanting a successful and entertaining team to watch.

I do however agree with the majority of reasoned posters here that the delivery of opinions has to be done in the right way. Expressing that Bowns has made some mistakes, which you believe have been crucial, demonstrating those and believing that the team might be better served by bringing in a different net minder is a perfectly legitimate way to express an opinion. I'm quite sure that Ben would want each one of the mistakes back and would be honest enough to tell you that if he was asked. What person is perfect?

Rude, inflammatory posts demanding people should be out or gassed or being overtly critical help no one and are a sad indictment of the way this forum has slipped over time. For the avoidance of doubt, I don't place any of the blame at the door of the moderators for that. We as a site to a degree ought to be self policing.

For what it is worth, while I agree that Ben has made mistakes, he is not the only one to do so. He is consistently one of the best netminders in the league and has been a credit to the club while backstopping us to a large number of trophies under the new ownership era. His performances in last year's CHL did not go unnoticed either with a number of teams commenting on his quality against the best that Europe had to offer in Vaxjo. He went through all of March only conceding one goal at home (which he would definitely have wanted back) that is an incredible statistic.

I'd welcome him back with open arms next year and every year thereafter for as long as he is fit and wants to be here!

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #17
For the removal of any doubt, look here and study this information very carefully:-

https://eliteleague.co.uk/game-centre/players/goalies/?season_id=18470

So in a nutshell, Ben is statistically ever so slightly the second best netminder in the entire EIHL this season - only Besko is statistically slightly better.

Every netminder makes a mistake now and again (I don’t think it was a mistake v Blaze as he was unsighted).

If you attend most home games, you’ll see Bownsey 30-40 games a season, yes you’ll see a few mistakes - but thats happening up and down the land with every other netminder also - you are just not seeing that so often!

He’d be the first one id resign for next season. Complete no brainier.

Ben offers the Devils the opportunity to ice another import skater as we’re not using an import goalie!

Last edited:

Rich Best

For the removal of any doubt, look here and study this information very carefully:-

So in a nutshell, Ben is statistically ever so slightly the second best netminder in the entire EIHL this season - only Besko is statistically slightly better.

Ever netminder makes a mistake now and again (I don’t think it was a mistake v Blaze as he was unsighted).

If you attend most home games, you’ll see Bownsey 30-40 games a season, yes you’ll see a few mistakes - but thats happening up and down the land with every other netminder also - you are just not seeing that so often!

100% agree.

For me the Bownsy debate is easy:

I wouldn't swap him for any other player in the league - not even Beskorowany (honestly). Every player, let alone netminder makes mistakes now and again. They are only human. Its part of the appeal of sports unpredictability in many ways.

Part of the reason I wouldn't swap him is, as was said previously, having a GB netminder gives us the option of an extra import skater. The other reason is that I think he's a fantastic netminder in his own right and is by far the best GB netminder. He's pulled off some fantastic saves this year alone, and has a number of shutouts to his name.

I hope he stays, and for the long term too. We are lucky to have him.

This is just my opinion. Some may not agree, but that's fine.

BostonBart22

Every netminder makes a mistake now and again (I don’t think it was a mistake v Blaze as he was unsighted).

Ben offers the Devils the opportunity to ice another import skater as we’re not using an import goalie!
spot on 100% sign him with a multi deal, ok he has made one or 2 errors but over a season has won more games alone with some world class saves , look at whistle steelers he was the dogs bollocks when he signed for steelers and how many times this season he has been pulled, think he has been pulled v devils 3 times this season apart from other games, plus Hackett blaze had a awful season until last sunday and thets coming from blaze fans, so yes sign him up as he is far better than most import netties in the league...