Physical intimidation issue solved

Pembo

Thread starter #1
We’re having issues with our keepers and skill players getting physically battered/intimidated this season. I present the solution, Daniel Amesbury. Guaranteed to put up big numbers nightly (albeit PIMS), and should stop other teams picking on smaller guys. Check out his highlights in the link.

Wannabe2

We were rumoured to be signing Derek Parker years ago, and of course Justin Sawyer played for us in the 2010 season. Sawyer was as tough as nails 12 yrs ago. This tournament has been going on for a number of years now.

Steveo86

I remember Sean mcmorrow talking about this on his podcast ! He’s the host and the people behind it are AJ Gallante and his father the ex owners of the Danbury thrashers

Pembo

Thread starter #10
His skating ability was limited and he had the turning circle of the Amoco Cadiz but with him on your team you knew that nobody would take a run at your goalie or your star forward!
That was his role and for a couple of seasons he was 'the new sheriff in town'!
It feels like goalie/smaller guy targeting dramatically increased after Lou got injured. Teams less likely to want to poke the bear if the threat of physical response is there. Lou rarely has to throw hands as intimidation factor enough.

august04 2.0

It feels like goalie/smaller guy targeting dramatically increased after Lou got injured. Teams less likely to want to poke the bear if the threat of physical response is there. Lou rarely has to throw hands as intimidation factor enough.
I don’t really buy into this theory that Lou just “having a word” does anything. Actions speak louder than words and he never loses the plot, unlike some of the more effective enforcers that we've had. There’s no red mist! We've had Lou in the lineup for a long time, and I’ve seen us get bashed around too in that time (how many times did Sheffield used to target Bowns with nothing back in return), with most of the retaliation so far this year coming from the likes of Cox, much to his credit (and even Joey Martin on a couple of occasions for cheap shots on himself, which is just embarrassing for our so called tough guys). I like Lou a lot but I don’t believe he is a deterrent, just In the same way that Batch or Brittain aren’t. All big guys, all very capable of fighting but it’s not in their nature to do that role, and you can’t always force it to be at the flick of a switch. I was dismayed recently when TK said Lou was so tough, he couldn’t find anyone to fight! What a load of BS! Sometimes, you have to no choice someone - last night would have been a classic example had he been in the line up - and take the penalty that comes with it. That then becomes the deterrent for future games when teams see what could be coming if they take liberties - not “having a word”.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

The only player I can ever remember deterring trouble with just a look was Mike macwilliam.
I don’t recall him just looking too often! Neither did Mike Ware. When the red mist descended, those guys just went for it. Sometimes you just have to, even in the modern game. We've let multiple hits go unpunished on the likes of Joey Martin, Cox, Sanford, Coughler and the goalies this season. It tells you all you need to know about the togetherness of a team. Sometimes, just having a word isn’t good enough.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I don’t recall him just looking too often! Neither did Mike Ware. When the red mist descended, those guys just went for it. Sometimes you just have to, even in the modern game. We've let multiple hits go unpunished on the likes of Joey Martin, Cox, Sanford, Coughler and the goalies this season. It tells you all you need to know about the togetherness of a team. Sometimes, just having a word isn’t good enough.
I seem to recall Ross Lambert wasn't too keen to be on the ice at the same time as macwilliam.

Swarley

Now picture what it's gonna be like when he retires, it'll be open season on smaller guys and goalies.

The day Lou leaves the club is the day the rest of the teams will run us every given chance and they'll get away with it, yesterday was just a preview of what's to come for the Devils.

kristian

Iam not sure who was on the ice when Martin got hit. He got straight up and went for Jones I don't think anyone could get there sooner.
I think the smaller guys like a bit of the rough stuff none of them shy away from it.
On another note what got Batch so wind up. Have to say it was good to see and I think both him and Lou play better with a chip on there shoulder and see a tint of red mist.

Rempel16

Iam not sure who was on the ice when Martin got hit. He got straight up and went for Jones I don't think anyone could get there sooner.
I think the smaller guys like a bit of the rough stuff none of them shy away from it.
On another note what got Batch so wind up. Have to say it was good to see and I think both him and Lou play better with a chip on there shoulder and see a tint of red mist.
Whilst I agree with you that no-one could get there sooner....

My point over this would be, when did Joey Martin ever get run at like that on previous teams? He's taken exception 3 times this year already.
Our previous teams had enough in them that no-one ever took a run at our star player, let alone a Brit.

Sam Jones' run at him wasn't about the response, it was about the fact that he knew could do it in the first place knowing that the bigger guys wouldn't stamp it out.