Phil Hill Re signs for devils

osh

Thread starter #21
Good points ASHIPP, especially the one relating to the 3 named Brits at Panthers i.e Levers, Clarke, Myers (not forgetting they have Meyers and the immpresive Lachowicz).

Now that Hill is back, our Brit numbers are 6 - Hill, Lyle, Richardson, Davies, Smith, Burrows - we have 3 remaining spots imo to fill, 1 will obviously be a net minder, 2 will have to be a D man and I think we all are assuming it will be Symonds. That leaves 1 remaining spot and it doesn't look as if we will get another high profile Brit that I personally feel we lack (when compared to the Panthers above for example) unless we can get a decent Brit from the EPL (anyone suggest someone) So, in effect, we have the same Brits as we saw at stages last season, that is a dissapointment I have to say, especially in view of 1 less import next season. I think G recruited well on the import stage last season, so I will give him the benefit of doubt and trust he'll be able to bring in imports to counter our slightly below par Brit pack, sorry, but that's the way I see it.

gotta say i think some people are just never happy. for the last 2/3 years people have been saying ben davies deserves more ice time/regular shift now he has it and he aint good enough and we're lagging behind everyone else! Stevie for all the issues that people bring up is basically import standard as are hill and richardson then we have two guys in sam and ben who have proven they are capable of playing well in the league plus tim burrows and symo. ok so we dont have a big goal scorer like clarke but then again belfast have just lost the best brit in the league to europe so we have other teams dropping in quality, also if the wagecap is stuck to by all teams that will see a significant drop in import standards from nottingham sheffield and belfast, big if, i know but still we live in hope!

osh

Thread starter #23
maccab5 said:
gotta say i think some people are just never happy. I haven't said I'm unhappy have I ?For the last 2/3 years people have been saying ben davies deserves more ice time/regular shift now he has it and he aint good enough I haven't said he's not good enough and we're lagging behind everyone else! Yes we are lagging behind some of our rivals, you must choose your words better Stevie for all the issues that people bring up is basically import standard as are hill and richardson Possibly, but not the top import level compared to others then we have two guys in sam and ben who have proven they are capable of playing well in the league plus tim burrows and symo. We don't have Symonds signed yet, sam and Ben are good players no doubt, I would have thought they would be useful to interchange as forwards on a regular basis. ok so we dont have a big goal scorer like clarke True but then again belfast have just lost the best brit in the league to europe I couldn't care less about Belfast so we have other teams dropping in quality, also if the wagecap is stuck to by all teams that will see a significant drop in import standards from nottingham sheffield and belfast, big if, i know but still we live in hope!
! The wage cap may only happen at Sheffield allegedly

There is nothing wrong with wanting a better Brit line up than we had last year is there ?

osh said:
There is nothing wrong with wanting a better Brit line up than we had last year is there ?
nothing wrong with it but sometimes you just have to be realistic! the wages in the epl are very good for top end brits far more than we can afford to pay to also have a good import roster so we need brits that are good enough not to get caught out against imports and do a job to be able to bring in guys that will win us a championship.

Wannabe2

Even if we agree that we lack behind the Panthers on the Brit scene, dont forget we will have 1 more import skater than them, so to me that evens it out more.

osh

Thread starter #26
Wannabe2 said:
Even if we agree that we lack behind the Panthers on the Brit scene, dont forget we will have 1 more import skater than them, so to me that evens it out more.

Very valid point Wannabe2, and something that I really had forgotten about, :oops: , yes with a Brit n/m we'll have the advantage of an extra import skater (as will Belfast) Lets just hope we don't lose out on Symonds. Still feel we need a final decent Brit forward, but that may be wishfull thinkinmg on my behalf.

samidevils said:
One slight worry for me: by the looks of the brits, G must have saved money and I'm hoping we will have very good imports......
Really? I'd have Lyle, Hill and Mark Richardson in the top 10 British earners in the league?

DevilDom

J.B said:
samidevils said:
One slight worry for me: by the looks of the brits, G must have saved money and I'm hoping we will have very good imports......
Really? I'd have Lyle, Hill and Mark Richardson in the top 10 British earners in the league?
:lol: I know I shouldn't react to your inane posts but.........................

I'd have Weaver, Cowley, Owen, Clarke, Myers, Tait, Dowd, Phillips, Murphy, Peacock, Hewitt, Meyers, Levers probably all on more or very similar money.

Cowley, Hewitt and Levers :eek:

I'll give you the rest and put those three in the list. Honestly don't think your Brits are that weak compared to any other team in the league. Certainly didn't see a weakness last season and nobody is particularly better this year.

ASHIPP

Bearing in mind that British players are at a premium more so this coming season than ever, G and Franny have done exceptionally well not to lose any of our British contingent from last season.....a group of players who were part of the team that finished joint top of the league on points, I might add. :cool: That is a significant achievement and for that, we should be relieved.

Yes, it's disappointing that other calibre British players have not yet been secured by the Club. But the Devils are not alone - there are many, many reasons why it is so difficult to persuade British players to move clubs. Infact, the only clubs that have really gained from player movements are Giants (Dowd and possibly O'Connor) and Blaze (David Philips) - those players perhaps were in a better position to move because they don't have domestic responsibilities. In the end, it's all about how the TEAM performs and how individuals buy into that system, with the right combination of attitude, skill and fitness.
G still has 1 or 2 slots to fill with British players - we are hoping that Alex and Joe/Martin will return next season - and you never know, maybe another addition no-one was expecting. :?

From what I hear, Hill is probably now the no.1 earning Brit in the league and Lyle will not come keep. If any money has been saved it will no doubt be on Ben, Alex and Sam.

Skippy

Re: Re: Phil Hill Re signs for devils

BrentisGod said:
From what I hear, Hill is probably now the no.1 earning Brit in the league.
I very much doubt thats the case. I can't see the likes of Ashley tait or Matt Meyers, picking just two as examples,being on less than Phil hill.

Wannabe2

BrentisGod said:
From what I hear, Hill is probably now the no.1 earning Brit in the league and Lyle will not come keep. If any money has been saved it will no doubt be on Ben, Alex and Sam.
That is total Hog Wash, but i am sure he would like to be. :lol:

zoesdevil

I can't see us offering Hill more wages than Myers as I guess Matt was our top Brit target and considering Panthers offered £200 more a week than us and we couldn't match it I guess Hill wouldn't be on more a week! Maybe I'm wrong though!!
:?

Oh well I must be wrong and guess you guys all know best. Important thing is he has resigned and not gone to Nottingham, Sheffield, Belfast, Coventry or Europe, I wonder why that was ££££ and I guess he trains the juniors for nothing.

BrentisGod said:
Oh well I must be wrong and guess you guys all know best. Important thing is he has resigned and not gone to Nottingham, Sheffield, Belfast, Coventry or Europe, I wonder why that was ££££ and I guess he trains the juniors for nothing.
most of the junior coaches do! also to get coaching qualifications you need to do a certain number of hours coaching plus bear in mind the devils dont need to pay for phils accomodation so yes he may get more money in his pocket than he would at other teams as part of their financial offers would take into account housing etc!

I am always curious as to how exactly people know the exact figures of what players are getting paid, i would be surprised if its something players go shouting about and I don't see how they would find out from the club.
Anyway, doing something completely out of tradition on this forum, I will go back on topic.
Great to have Hill re-signed he works his butt off to keep in top condition and thats the type of attitude you look for in a ice hockey player.
I think most of us will give a great sigh of relief at that news! Although I would still say our Brit pack is on the weaker side, lets just hope we can make up for this with imports.

Ocko

Phil on on a considerable amount more than we offered Myers... But surely this is obvious. We offer a very attractive package to Matt trying to tempt him back (he's obviously G's preferred choice as both would not be financially viable - its either Matt or Phil). Matt decided to stay in Nottingham leaving us short of a 2nd line Brit... Phil can then demand whatever he likes because we needed him alot more than he needed us. If he didnt sign for us where would be turn?

Any player in his right mind would then hold the club to ransom. Our contract offer was better than Coventry's as they were after him too, I dont buy the whole hometown club thing - money talks, he's here because we offered more than anyone else. I would not be one bit surprised if he is among the top earners in the league. And that's completely fair enough, not the most talented player but one of the most dedicated and hard working - good luck to the boy!

Ok now I'm mad, don't go surmising what you think happened with Phil, I can tell you Phil has never "held the club to ransome" in fact last season the same as this season he told G what he wanted more than anything was to be on a competitive team and in line with that didn't want to eat up the budget on what G could spend on imports. This year he had offers from Coventry and Sheffield but felt he could contribute more to Cardiff. We were lined up to sign both Phil and myers just myers wanted more than we could offer him. No-one works harder than Phil off the ice and he understands his limitations and works hard on any weaknesses every off season.

Ocko

If we planned on fitting in Myers and Hill how would Sam Smith and Ben Davies with both their guaranteed ice time also fit in? It doesnt make sense.