Phil Hill Re signs for devils

osh

Thread starter #1
Reported in today's Echo that Phil Hill has signed a new contract for next season. This is a much needed signing in order to strengthen our Brit contingent and good news for the fans. I feel we now need to ensure a decent D Brit - it will probably be Symonds - and another quality Brit forward need to be sorted out in order that G and Franny can then concentrate fully on the import roster.

Rempel16

Re: Phill Hill Re signs for devils

''Devils British contingent now consists of Netminder Stevie Lyle, defenceman Mark Richardson and forwards Ben Davies, Tim Burrows and now Hill ''

Excellent news, something that was needed I think.

I hope the above quote from the Devils website has simply made an error in not naming Sam Smith among the Brits.

Koop11

Great news. With the league ruling this season and most teams already signing up the top end Brits, the signing of Phil is huge for us. Welcome back.

I would hope we can secure Symonds to our defensive unit as a 6th defenseman, with us going with 4 import D (G, the Smiths(?) and a replacement for Weller, Richardson and Symonds). With us having our 3 Brit forwards signed up (Hill, Smith, Ben) and having Borrows confirmed as our 10th forward, we can allow for 6 import forwards as we have Lyle in net.

The team is slowly taking shape. I look forward to the announcement of some import players in the not to distant future.

Mark666

Whoop. What I'd like to think of as a 'corner piece' in the jigsaw of next years team. I'm not sure that makes sense but its early. Good news anyway.

Phill Hill Re signs for devils

And to think I started to worry. This can give G the freedom to concentrate all most purely on import signings, and hopefully good ones at that with the money we should have saved by signing burrows and Davies. Welcome back Phil

ASHIPP

Fantastic news - really great to see Phil return :D :cool: A crucial signing for the Devils - well done, G and Franny.
Phil is a rare breed as a power forward, very experienced and a wonderful role model for younger players.

wildthing74

Huge relief this news especially after missing out on Myers.I'm thrilled we have a good core of Brits especially all being home grown bar one.
If we can confim the Smiths and a few of the current imports I'll be a lot more optomistic for our chances next year.
Nice one Hilly and G/Franny for making this happen.

Finny

Brilliant news and also a huge relief. Phil has proved to be one our best players in recent years and one of the top brits around.

As osh said, if we can get Symonds signed up too then assuming we have various options for back-up netminder I think we are looking pretty solid with out brit pack.

Great signing and a key part of the brit pack!

Just hope Martin Clarkson gets the chance as a back up playing a similar role to Nathan Craze, development of that kid is key i think!

voth26

great news on hilly resigning have to admit had a few doubts he would sign the longer we had no news, welcome back mr hill looking forward to seeing you on the ice

100% agree with The Devil.

One slight worry for me: by the looks of the brits, G must have saved money and I'm hoping we will have very good imports......

I may get slated but we have only one proven points scorer in Hill. Sam Smith was on a fantastic line so we will see how he gets on with his "new line". Richardson is solid but all our other brits are generally decent looking prospects.

kettdevil1

samidevils said:

One slight worry for me: by the looks of the brits, G must have saved money and I'm hoping we will have very good imports......

I may get slated but we have only one proven points scorer in Hill. Sam Smith was on a fantastic line so we will see how he gets on with his "new line". Richardson is solid but all our other brits are generally decent looking prospects.
Interesting points but I am not totally sure that we would have saved money - in effect, if Symo re-signs, we have exactly the same Brit lineup to last year (with the addition of Tim or Ben depending on the time you are compating to) Hence, I would imagine wages would b comparable.

I take the point about scoring but, if you look back to the posts of last year you will find posters complaining about the same thing. It is sometimes easy to forget that the standard complaints were - Pelle is a 2nd liner, Matzka never stays long, Max is too inconsistent, Stu doesn't look up to it and Tylor doesn't score....

Overall I am happy with the line up so far, Hill was the big signing and I am delighted we have signed him again

ASHIPP

kettdevil1 said:
samidevils said:

I take the point about scoring but, if you look back to the posts of last year you will find posters complaining about the same thing. It is sometimes easy to forget that the standard complaints were - Pelle is a 2nd liner, Matzka never stays long, Max is too inconsistent, Stu doesn't look up to it and Tylor doesn't score....

Overall I am happy with the line up so far, Hill was the big signing and I am delighted we have signed him again
Some really good points raised here. :cool: People forget that 'contribution' and 'value' is not all about individual scoring talent - it's about how players click together as a TEAM. Players perform different roles on lines. For instance, Sam Smith is fantastic at battling the corners to release the puck and also creating space for his line mates to score. It's who they are partnered with that will help and develop their contribution. Levers, for example, does not score as many as Clarke for the Panthers - but he performs a certain role and is regarded as a 'must sign' player for them amongst others. Hewitt for the Steelers is the same.