Panthers v Devils - 30/12 - 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Even if we dont win though Gazza, then we may be able to say "fair enough we lost another 2 points but hell we tried for it"

Its the not giving a damn attitude thats bothering me!

Sliput

kettdevil1 said:
Can't be bothered to go through 17 pages of posts so apologies for duplicating anything...

Just back and I'm afraid that my normal optimism has taken a knock, the performance in the second period was not good. It is just not happening for us away from home at the moment and it is getting to the stage when desperate measures might be needed.

A few random points:

1) The first period started off with a great check by Max and after a closely contested 20 minutes I was hopeful for the rest of the game.
2) The second period saw us fall apart. I felt desperately sorry for Stevie. The shots on goal might be similar but the quality of the Panthers shots was far better than ours. For the first goal he made two great stops before being beaten by the next one.
3) Our forwards are not picking up their men in our zone. Each of Mann's goals came from him not being picked up. The D Men did their job but, the lack of awareness of positional play from the forwards was a massive concern.
4) Our lines are all over the place - we started with Max, Smith and Michel and finished with Ben on that line.
5) In the third period everyone was trying to do the work themselves - there was very little cohesion and although there was far more effort the end result was still the same.
6) Positives from the game? Apart from Stevie my MOM was Stoney. He did his job, few others did theirs. Fair play to G for playing, his face looked shocking, the man is nails. Ben also put more effort in than most.
7) Negatives? Most of the rest of the team. Our big name players look lost away from home.
8) There is no confidence in this team at the moment.

No sure what the solution is, all teams go through these phases but, I suppose the bottom line is whether we are happy to have a team that is brilliant at home and poor away? If not then we need to make radical changes.
20 pages and only one post from someone who was at the game :eek:
We are now officially the Sheffield Steelers fanbase !!
I was at the game and the post i have highlighted (in my own opinion) is spot on.Stevie cant be blamed for any of the goals as he was left high and dry.
Regardless the fact that apparently Max is our top points scorer...he was embarrassing tonight,missed passes/checked,looked bored.
Also when will our guys realise that the ref is the boss ? regardless of how crap they are...Hartwick got called for something stupid...got in the penalty box arguing with Hicks and slams the PB door...10 min misconduct.We cant afford to have D men in the box.
For me he best players for us last night were,Lyle,Finnerty,Smith,Richardson,Stoney,Latulippe drifted and Tylor was his usual brilliant self.

I dont know what is going wrong...a couple of guys behind me last night were talking and one came out with a comment that made me think....he said that Coventry had roughly the same kind of team as us but look at our position to theirs...is it down to coaching ??

As for the comment about Hutchins (Cant remember who posted it) that he has been at 5 elite teams....doesnt that speak for itself ?

Anyway,i've had my fill of Devils away games thi year...just want to wish ALL players and fans of the Cardiff Devils a very HAPPY NEW YEAR :D :D :D

Sliput

DevilDan said:
Even if we dont win though Gazza, then we may be able to say "fair enough we lost another 2 points but hell we tried for it"

Its the not giving a damn attitude thats bothering me!
That is exactly how i felt last night.....if we had played all three periods like the first and still lost , i would have come home a happy girlie. But after the first two goals we seemed to stop trying.

First period was quite good. Had a lot of the puck, but struggled to create many clear cut chances. If we kept that up we probably would of got a W.

Dunno what was said in the dressing room after the first... they just fell apart. It's easy to blame the D for letting in 5 goals, but it was out forwards not picking up men in our own area, nearly everyone of there goals was: Pass to man open in the middle, aim and shoot. Lyle cannot be expected to save shots when they are that close, have time, and can shoot from dead ahead. I felt really sorry for Lyle, their first goal he made about 3 or 4 fantastic saves, we didn't clear the puck and BAM it's in.

I don't think it would be good to gas G mid-season, but he's going to need to prove himself in time for next season.

august04

The big ice excuse is just that. Basingstoke have an Olympic sized ice pad, so do Hull, yet we we had a great away record against the Bison until they dropped a division and are able to compete and win in Hull. It's down to the quality of the opposition. If the effort levels aren't there against the better teams, in their rinks, you lose. Very simple.

Finny

Gazza272 said:
When our new rink is built we desperatly need bigger ice or we are condemned to only winning 50% of games in a season. Finny can help me out here but in previous years i think our away form, has been spared from criticism because we had Excellent records at Basingstoke and Manchester, i think they sugar coated a lot of our away stats in previous seasons.
Perhaps the ideal scenario would be a small icepad to help us win at home, with the second pad being olympic size so that we can practise on it ahead of away games!

I've had a quick look at our away form over previous seasons up to the New Year, excluding Manchester and Basingstoke.

This season we have won 6 away games so far. In previous seasons it would have been:
08-09: 4
07-08: 6
06-07: 8
05-06: 4
04-05: 4 (excluding BNL teams too)
03-04: 2

So basically, we've sucked at away games since the start of the EIHL. :cry:

PuckIt said:
As shannon is director of hockey, does this mean he is for example taking an active part in training and analysing games afterwards??
He wouldn't take an active part in training, that is the coaches responsibility. As for analysing games afterwards, then you need to see them in the first place, as far as I'm aware Shannon doesn't go to away games, which is not unusually for Director of Hockey.

phil PLT said:
PuckIt said:
As shannon is director of hockey, does this mean he is for example taking an active part in training and analysing games afterwards??
He wouldn't take an active part in training, that is the coaches responsibility. As for analysing games afterwards, then you need to see them in the first place, as far as I'm aware Shannon doesn't go to away games, which is not unusually for Director of Hockey.
It may not be unusual for the Director of Hockey not too attend away games, but maybe this is what is required occasionally, just to let the players know they need to earn there corn when away from home too and that they are being watched, cos sure as hell if i wasnt doing my work when i was away from my main office, one of my mangement team would be turning up too give me a kick up the butt and to pull my finger out. Hearing that the players were too embarrassed to acknowledge the away support last night is a disgrace, but at least it does show that they are aware that they have badly let themselves down and the travelling few.
Big thumbs up too all those who made the effort to travel to Nottingham last night, and support the boys, in difficult conditions. Shame you werent rewarded with a Devils team showing Pride, Commitment etc!!!!
This is officially my last post of 2009, as i cant take much more doom and gloom, may 2010 be an invincible year for the devils on the road, but somehow think i may have drunk too much already, and my judgement already clouded.
Happy New Year one and all, have a good one.

SPEEDACE said:
phil PLT said:
PuckIt said:
It may not be unusual for the Director of Hockey not too attend away games, but maybe this is what is required occasionally, just to let the players know they need to earn there corn when away from home too and that they are being watched, cos sure as hell if i wasnt doing my work when i was away from my main office, one of my mangement team would be turning up too give me a kick up the butt and to pull my finger out.
Can't argue with that one.

Finny said:
Gazza272 said:
When our new rink is built we desperatly need bigger ice or we are condemned to only winning 50% of games in a season. Finny can help me out here but in previous years i think our away form, has been spared from criticism because we had Excellent records at Basingstoke and Manchester, i think they sugar coated a lot of our away stats in previous seasons.
Perhaps the ideal scenario would be a small icepad to help us win at home, with the second pad being olympic size so that we can practise on it ahead of away games!

I've had a quick look at our away form over previous seasons up to the New Year, excluding Manchester and Basingstoke.

This season we have won 6 away games so far. In previous seasons it would have been:
08-09: 4
07-08: 6
06-07: 8
05-06: 4
04-05: 4 (excluding BNL teams too)
03-04: 2

So basically, we've sucked at away games since the start of the EIHL. :cry:
An even better comparison would be our pre-xmas away record compared with the other EIHL teams over recent seasons.

Appreciate this might be difficult but I'm sure Finny will be able to furnish us with even further stats !!!

i was told this afternoon that a lot of the problem is equipment shortages.jarvis had to play in nottingham with a broken blade and couldn't slapshot.birbraer has been asking for new skates for a couple of months and a few others are struggling with their skates and stuff. i was in the rink and overheard the kit guy saying that he has to borrow tape from belfast on saturday. how are they supposed ot compete if this is going on

A

Anonymous

The big ice excuse is the worst in a long list, its also hard to blame individuals but something needs to be done, but when?? The post about not being bothered hits the nail on the bonce. If were going to lose at least put up a god damn fight? Wheres the pride and the passion. For gods sake lads pull your finger out of your arses and start giving a %$@! Happy new year to you all and i'll see you at the Panthers game (Jan 17th)

A

Anonymous

Kaydee said:
i was told this afternoon that a lot of the problem is equipment shortages.jarvis had to play in nottingham with a broken blade and couldn't slapshot.birbraer has been asking for new skates for a couple of months and a few others are struggling with their skates and stuff. i was in the rink and overheard the kit guy saying that he has to borrow tape from belfast on saturday. how are they supposed ot compete if this is going on
But the equipment is great when were at home?

Kaydee said:
Don't want to stir anything up, but i heard that kit is a sore subject due to the price of it and what the devils budget allows, like i said only what i have heard.