Panthers v Devils - 30/12 - 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

kettdevil1

El Supremo said:
Sounds like our D is all over the shop. I think it was definitely a mistake in getting rid of an in-form defenceman (i.e. Romfo).
Just been ploughing through the pages....

In all honesty the actual D Men were not the major problem tonight,the problem lay with the forwards who appeared incapable of picking up their men in our zone.

Having Romfo in th eteam would not have altered things at all.

kettdevil1

Nott Simpson said:
Finny,

You questioned my texters tonight.

Well I can tell you that whilst it was their first outing as texters (although helped at Coventry on Sunday) they are regulars and called as they saw it. At one time in the 2nd period I had to censor what they were sending me, in the third I decided to use whatever they sent me.

I specifically asked if the performance was worsed than that at Coventry they said it was especially as their dis-interest was so obvious.

As you can imagine the texters were surrounded by Panthers fans who were continually expressing their amazement of the lack of D and commitment.

I can confirm that in the old days such performances wewre dealt with as a matter of urgency.

I recall one coach asking me to leave the dressing because he wanted to say a few things only for the coach to come out a few minutes later and take me for a pint as he had resigned. A honourable man.

OJ
Having looked through MNL the texters were spot on. No arguments with any of their comments.

Bizarrely we also came up from Northampton rather than Cardiff and met them just outside the Arena...it's a small world...

Josh Fiddler said:
Merthyr Devil said:
Max Beerbarrell said:
Maybe threatening to locate them in the Gurnos as opposed to Cardiff Bay may be more of an incentive (no offence meant to any Gurnos folk we have on here!)
Your lucky I'm not from that part of Merthyr or I'd be after you! :twisted: :lol:
Are you from a worse part of Merthyr then? :lol: only joking lol

Is there a worse part of anywhere than the gurnos?

Onto the debate at hand, a few points.

Romfo being gassed was our away form that good when he was playing for us?
Bringing back Patterson. What did we win with him as the coach anybody know the real reason he was sacked/left?
John lawless won trophies when we spent more than other teams he would probably be a good coach for nottingham rather than us right now.
Changing the lines. Doesnt this happen game to game in the NHL? Also anyone who is not 100% should really go on the 3rd line that way if they cant complete the full game they get replaced by davies/hayes and the first two lines are constant throughout the game. If you are going to change the lines there probably does need to be one basic gameplan for each line 1st scoring second scoring 3rd energy etc.
Voth is class points plus toughness that he adds are invaluable and has made an impact on every line he has played on.

The league does appear to be out of our reach and a loss at nottingham where many other devils teams and coaches have lost is not a reason to gas the coach or players. It probably helps that i hardly travel away any more so only get to see the devils at home so see the best of them but i will enjoy what is left of the season and expect us to do well in the CC and playoffs.

Finny said:
Out of interest - how many people hiding behind usernames on here and calling for Adams to be sacked (or any player to be replaced), would be happy to go up to them on Sunday and say that to their face?
That isn't the job of the fans though. Shannon Hope is paid to do the hiring and firing.

Kipper

I think G has proved he can be ruthless if players don't meet his standards or do their job properly. Exhibit 1; Deschatelets your honour. Exhibit 2; Romfo.

I have no doubt that G will issue the appropriate warnings to whoever needs them but the key point we are over-looking is whether any better replacements are available compared to the players we have now eg Finnerty was available so Romfo went.

Kipper said:
I think G has proved he can be ruthless if players don't meet his standards or do their job properly. Exhibit 1; Deschatelets your honour. Exhibit 2; Romfo.

I have no doubt that G will issue the appropriate warnings to whoever needs them but the key point we are over-looking is whether any better replacements are available compared to the players we have now eg Finnerty was available so Romfo went.
But is "G" doing his job properly? thats the question we all want to know.

On the one hand I am angry at Adams for allowing our away form to be so awful but on the other hand I feel desperately sorry for the guy, afterall he was shoved into the coaching role a few seasons back with no experience.

Has he done any coaching training (like they do in football)? Is he ready to be a coach at EIHL level?

Is there any way we could keep Adams on in a player-only role and get in a new coach (cutting an import to afford the replacement)?

Kipper

Eugene-Tackleberry said:
Kipper said:

But is "G" doing his job properly? thats the question we all want to know.
Are any of us are qualified to judge whether he's doing his job properly? The only people who can answer that are the players and Director of Hockey.

Sheincar

El Supremo said:
On the one hand I am angry at Adams for allowing our away form to be so awful but on the other hand I feel desperately sorry for the guy, afterall he was shoved into the coaching role a few seasons back with no experience.

Has he done any coaching training (like they do in football)? Is he ready to be a coach at EIHL level?

Is there any way we could keep Adams on in a player-only role and get in a new coach (cutting an import to afford the replacement)?
Which import are you going to cut?

Surely G wouldn't be allowed to coach without the relevant badges.

Sheincar said:
El Supremo said:

That's a very good question but then it's not my place to decide! I'd say one of the lower paid imports such as Michel but he's been way too good for that! Given how crap we are at the moment I don't think we can cut anyone else!

A

Anonymous

Max does score loads of points, although mainly at home. I look at Miller and ask: what does he do exactly apart from skate around the rink?? I don't think he's registered a point for 2 months! This away form needs sorting out, enough is enough !!!

TheDevilTorn said:
Max does score loads of points, although mainly at home. I look at Miller and ask: what does he do exactly apart from skate around the rink?? I don't think he's registered a point for 2 months! This away form needs sorting out, enough is enough !!!
29th November was Miller's Last point that i can find on IH update but our 6-3 win over Coventry was not covered so cant remember if he got any points in that one.

So what if they had a bug yesterday...

This isnt about the 5-0 thrashing by Nottingham.

This is about the 7 successive away game losses.

That have literally cost us the league.

Yesterday it was Miller had a bug...

The last six was "big ice"

Sort it out or get out G.

Home success only doesnt do it for me.

DevilDan said:
So what if they had a bug yesterday...

This isnt about the 5-0 thrashing by Nottingham.

This is about the 7 successive away game losses.

That have literally cost us the league.

Yesterday it was Miller had a bug...

The last six was "big ice"

Sort it out or get out G.

Home success only doesnt do it for me.
Fair comments I definately am not a rose tinted glasses fan like far to many on here but I do like Adams and gassing him is a little ott I agree our away record.is embarrassing though

Its not about gassing tbf . Its about telling him his job isnt 100% safe no matter what and we wont put up with these stupid no show games week in week out.

If we'd won just 4 of the 7 we'd be up at the top. Look at last weekend for example, in Cardiff we were a killing machine and shut down Coventry. On Sunday we bent over and died and only pulled out 5 minutes of hockey.

We all know the term a 40 minute hockey team, well away we are struggling to be a 10 minute hockey team.

The team needs someone to kick them into gear, and that in my eyes is the coachs job. The final word should be his. He showed grit coming out and playing wednesday in a full face mask even though he was messed up, but try and get that determination out of the whole team to!

Challange cup = An Away Game

Playoffs = In Nottingham = Away = Big Ice

Im not saying gas Adams, im saying sort it out now or we'll end up a 3 or 4 placed team (not so amazing in a 8 team league) with no silverware.

Not so much the aim for everything view we had at the start of the season.

Theres still time to change it, but it needs to end here, the league is long gone, but theres still 2 more major trophies to play for.

Gazza272

Sheincar said:
El Supremo said:

To My knowledge very few coaches in the EIHL have the relevent badges needed to coach at EIHA level, but i believe the EIHL turn a blind eye to it in order to make recruiting coaches internally easier. I could be wrong thoguh and they have all done their badges while in the job, but certainly when Adams took over i dont think he had any, and i'ed be suprised if someone like Cloutier had any sort of badges. All badges do though imo is show you a few practise drills, their careers and coaches they have played for all make them qualified enough imo.

Some posts on here are spot on and some are ludicrous, its always more fun to start with the latter ones first.

Sack Adams? - No, previously he has shown what he can do by winning us the Knockout cup (regardless of who's squad it was it was G who coached us through all the stages of it!) and in the Deschatelets year he showed he can mould a team into title contenders, if half our squad hadnt lost their knee's we would have won the league.

Also sacking him is such a short term fix, for sure the new coach would win the first games as players battled for their positions but after that who knows? We would have to give the new coach 2 seasons (same as G!) but if he was bobbins for 2 seasons we have wasted them!

Also where is this new coach going to come from? there is no point in going backwards by bringing in a coach who has already been here, because in all cases there is a very good reason why they still arent out coach! The nature of the EIHL means any coach coming in has to have a good sense of the Brits available, and be prepared to work with Imports who may not be at the standard they are used to, the small budget menas every coach in the EIHL does a brilliant job of bring in good standard calibre players to the league on a shoe string.

I'm not saying G's job is bullet proof, and come the end of the season i'm sure G, Matt, Shannon will have a look at the aims they agreed on at the beginning of the season and assess them. But what i do know is when a Guy is playing for us with a smashed up face he cares a hell of a lot for the club he is working for.

Second ludicrous thing i saw written on here was 'at this rate Sheffield will stuff us on Sunday' why? our home form is nothing to worry about, swap Sheffield for Belfast away on saturday and i'll agree with you!

Now on to the results, I do think the big ice is a factor but not in the traditional sense of systems etc. For me its the effort in skating, we have guys who are very good skaters. Max, Smith (if his knees right which i dont think it is) Jarvis, Finnerty, Michel. But on big ice it looks liek they are skating in mud, we should be flying on the big ice pads, but it looks to me like a lot of players want to only take their 4 strides needed at the Tents ice pad, and i'm sorry you either put the work in or you ship out.

When our new rink is built we desperatly need bigger ice or we are condemned to only winning 50% of games in a season. Finny can help me out here but in previous years i think our away form, has been spared from criticism because we had Excellent records at Basingstoke and Manchester, i think they sugar coated a lot of our away stats in previous seasons.

Now we have no hiding place and if the organisation and the guys in the locker room are serious about bringing success to this club and making it genuinely the best in the country again, we have to make other rinks our rinks and put our stamp on these games.

I cant see us starting that in Belfast unfortunatly but it would be the perfect place to start given the second leg of the cup on the 20th of Jan, that is the biggest game of our season and preperation for it has to start now.