Official Club Statement

Have Hope#35

I see that they've given Brent all the Credit for the way that we played in these games... I'm sure there were 2 people sat on the Bench Coaching those nights?

Brent Pope has already been on the bench for 3 games this season when the club narrowly lost to Belfast, and then went on to secure two wins against arch rivals Coventry Blaze in what has already been quoted as the best home/away performance this season.
Maybe, but it was the worst Home & Away performances by Coventry :DWD

I am struggling to find ANY good news in that statement. How they can write "further good news" is an absolute joke.

This stinks of one person's agenda to slate and slander everything that was good about the Devils in order to get his position as head coach. PR has fallen for it all hook line and sinker.

I don't think there will be any respect towards this new setup from players or fans and I dread to think where this club is now heading :(

Having said that, the management have shown such little respect to many people (including fans) for such a long time then I don't even know if they know the meaning of the word.

I think I am slowly but surely losing my love for this once great club, and anyone who knows me will know that hurts to say.

It's now time for the Muppet Show....roll the drums...

youngbob

So tomorrow, Gerad won't be on the ice, nor will he be on the bench, i wonder what Head of Player Development actually involves?

The whole affair has been handled in a very undignified manner, and neither Gerad or Neil has been treated with any respect by Ragan or Pope

Wish both of them well for the future

davew

So Brent must have lost his commentating job and needs the salary increase to compensate. PR can't afford both a player and to keep "his trusted servant" so makes it difficult for G, who sees through PR, and sticks to his guns - PR forced to create role for G cause he can't be dismissed...hopes G will get bored and leave or gets offered other employment so problem goes away.

Absolute farce.

I'm a FOD are you are a FOD or a FORP (friend of ragan & pope)?

Greenbank take note....

fordy66 said:
Clubs in meltdown..... Not surprised with G being sacked thou ... Results have made that happen
In fairness to G, do you really believe the results have been totally his fault, with all the obvious interference from the management I expect all the players have become completely disillusioned, just like the fans!!

dave

Dwoods said:
This stinks of one person's agenda to slate and slander everything that was good about the Devils in order to get his position as head coach. PR has fallen for it all hook line and sinker.

So the 9 month prophecy where he told a group of new sponsors in the bar that he would be coach by time of new arena comes true.. Must ring up and get my lottery numbers off him...

Koop11

Interim or not, Brent Pope is now the coach of the 2013-2014 Cardiff Devils.

As I see it, Gerad is sacked in terms of his original contract. A contract variation has however probably been put in place to allow him to stay on the books until the remainder of the season in a role that has been created for him. I don’t know if this means his original salary will be honoured, including any support for his testimonial, or the change in terms means a pay cut or the options to relieve him of his duties altogether. Either way it’s a messy situation which has come to a head legally I would suggest.

Franny’s resignation probably speaks volumes of his views on the Gerad situation or that any salary he earned from his own contact has now become void.

The appointment of Cuddy, who I understand is already on the books under the junior programme, will be a direct replacement of Franny. I know little about his ability so no real comment from me here other than two in, two out (coaching)

I am very dubious about the changes but the in fighting having gone public and the underachievement of the season so far has probably warranted a drastic change. I can’t say I’m happy with how this has come about, particularly the treatment of our longest serving Cardiff Devils coach. I recognise though that this is a business and one that is failing on the ice at this time.

This is arguably the biggest decision PR will have made as the owner of the Devils and it’s a decision that will probably make or break him in respect of fans and sponsors alike. Live by the sword, die by the sword Paul. We’ll have to see how this pans out. For the sake our the club though I sincerely hope this works.

Koop11

The irony when I submitted that post was the verification question asked me ‘Who is the coach of the Cardiff Devils’.
I answered incorrectly but still got it correct.

From what I heard weeks ago, G and Franny had lost the dressing room.I also heard that Ross left because he didn't like the way the Devils were asked to play.
The later I think was backed up by G himself when in his statement on Ross leaving he said that he thought his coaching style couldn't get the best out of Ross and it was best for both parties to part company.
I wonder if it was any coincidence that when Brent was on the bench for those three games that the Devils produced their best form of the season?

Now I don't agree with the way that this has been handled and if it is true about G and Franny then the club should have been more transparent and told the fans what was going on and just put Brent in charge for the rest of the season. I think we should all get behind the players for the rest of the season and if it just remains as bad as it is then vote with our feet next year.
I think PR and Pope have been put in a very awkward position, time will tell if they have done the right thing. let's see how the players respond to all this nonsense.

fried egg said:
From what I heard weeks ago, G and Franny had lost the dressing room.I also heard that Ross left because he didn't like the way the Devils were asked to play.
The later I think was backed up by G himself when in his statement on Ross leaving he said that he thought his coaching style couldn't get the best out of Ross and it was best for both parties to part company.
I wonder if it was any coincidence that when Brent was on the bench for those three games that the Devils produced their best form of the season?

Now I don't agree with the way that this has been handled and if it is true about G and Franny then the club should have been more transparent and told the fans what was going on and just put Brent in charge for the rest of the season. I think we should all get behind the players for the rest of the season and if it just remains as bad as it is then vote with our feet next year.
I think PR and Pope have been put in a very awkward position, time will tell if they have done the right thing. let's see how the players respond to all this nonsense.
+1

We live in a litigious culture and the last thing the Devils finances need now would be a costly court case - Yes the whole process possibly could and probably should have been handled better than it has been, but it it what it is. Let's move on.

The job all of us Devils fans have to do now is stick by the team.

Gaz G

As has been said by someone else, I now expect to see G coaching elsewhere next year, maybe Coventry as they are poor at the moment too. I would also expect Faulkner and a couple of others to follow him.

Shambles.

Have Hope#35 said:
I see that they've given Brent all the Credit for the way that we played in these games... I'm sure there were 2 people sat on the Bench Coaching those nights?

Brent Pope has already been on the bench for 3 games this season when the club narrowly lost to Belfast, and then went on to secure two wins against arch rivals Coventry Blaze in what has already been quoted as the best home/away performance this season.
This was always going to happen, G or Franny were never going to get any credit!!

This hasn't been our best start to the season in losing our nettie, suspensions with Conboy (whatever the views on this!), fingers crossed with no further injuries or suspensions our season should be improving, but this will be attributed to the change in coach!

I really feel for the players at this time, their confidence has been at a low, they're under pressure to perform. I will be supporting the players and G's Testimonial events, but at the moment are struggling to support the management or Devils events and too wondering if i'll be getting an ST next year?!

Really feel for G and Franny, they've worked so hard over the years, brought some great signings in and have taken us to the playoffs every year (aren't we the only club to do that?) they deserve to be treated with respect and quite honestly i don't blame Franny for quiting, such a shame its happened in this manner, but hope he now gets to see more of his family rather than juggling working and travelling with the Devils!

Lets not forget that if the club had not been second from bottom of the league with only one league home win after two months of the season already gone, none of this nonsense would've happened!

We can all blame whoever we like for whatever we like, but ultimately it was the results and performances that did for G and Francis.

I personally have great sympathy for G as I'm led to believe he's an
honorable man and I think he deserved the remainder of the season as full time head coach.

I do not want to speculate as to why G 'came out of retirement' as that was apparently his decision and until he decides to 'go public', his reasons should remain private.

Thanks G for all your hard work and effort and best of luck with your
future, wherever that may be.

We must now move on.

Wannabe2

Has franny resigned, does G have a different role, has Pope never wanted to be coach, sorry but I cant believe anything from this once proud club anymore.

Earnie

Three years in a row we have searching for the right additional player - and he never materialised. Is this year going to be any different? Who is now doing the looking?

Dundee Stars just got themselves a good one (D)