Next years team.

Milky

Earnie said:
Maybe that's why Tommo is going to North America - looking for a job?
Wouldn't that bring a smile to a lot of faces!!!

According to one famous Steelers fan who is famous on Twitter and Periscope 'he's the best coach they've ever had' :DWD

Finny

KaneDevils said:
august04 said:
Ocko said:
If you're suggesting that an injured wrist will not effect Hotham's thinking you have clearly never played sport, particularly hockey.

Of course it would effect everything you do, from confidence, power in execution of passes and shots, the selection of those shots and passes might make you second guess your ability to carry it out - leading to alternative lesser plays and also a time delay, the physical game you might chose to play would also be in doubt. Almost every injury effects you to some degree.

It's probably no coincidence that Hotham had about 5 fights in the first two months or so; one of his attributes was his physical game. This randomly stopped.
Well if his wrist was injured (and clearly effecting his game), he shouldn't have played and should have rested up until recovered, especially when we were leaving out a fully fit D man who never let anyone down and played solid, no nonsense D every time he took to the ice. Makes it even more baffling!
Exactly. Why scratch a healthy player who's playing well and play one with a screwed wrist. Which incidentally, I haven't heard until now. hotham put up very good numbers but as a defender was pretty poor. And milky, those of us who play nhl 16 probably know more about hockey than those who don't. You learn a surprising amount. ;)

Lord for the AHL, easy tiger!
Why didn't we publicise Martin and Hotham's injuries to the rest of the league? Are you serious?
I thought it was pretty obvious to most people. Martin barely took a face off in the last month and Hotham was struggling to pass the puck forward.

august04

It's not about publicising injuries to the rest of the league. If someone is carrying an injury, rest them until they're healed. That's common sense isn't it? Especially if you're carrying spare imports. Martin's was obvious, I saw him turn his ankle in the Giants game. Hotham must have been carrying his injury since Christmas, he's been that bad. Again, if he was injured, why didn't we rest him and let him recover properly? Playing him under those circumstances (if he was actually injured) just didn't make sense as he was a defensive liability.

jimmy snels

Sometimes its frustrating not knowing but as finny has tried to point out if u said our best forward has "injured his left hand you can bet some ass hole *lloyd?* would slash him in it. But it doesn't explain not resting them..
Something i only realised today is leigh salters is a type 1 diabetic. I eonder if he's had an ongoing problem this season?

Finny

august04 said:
It's not about publicising injuries to the rest of the league. If someone is carrying an injury, rest them until they're healed. That's common sense isn't it? Especially if you're carrying spare imports. Martin's was obvious, I saw him turn his ankle in the Giants game. Hotham must have been carrying his injury since Christmas, he's been that bad. Again, if he was injured, why didn't we rest him and let him recover properly? Playing him under those circumstances (if he was actually injured) just didn't make sense as he was a defensive liability.
How long would it take him to recover? My guess is that it would have seen him miss a big chunk of the season, if not the rest of it. It doesn't sound like the type of injury that just requires a week or two of rest.
For me, an 80% Hotham is still better than than the majority of imports in this league. And whilst he did make some pretty big mistakes, most of the time he was able to recover and regain control of the puck.

Hotham made lots of mistakes and giveaways last season too. But (like Weller and Biz) he had the ability to quickly recover and regain control of the puck.
This season people seem to be noticing his mistakes more and mistakenly thinking they cost us goals.

voth26

Electro said:
Whilst l support Lord as a future coach, l have to say that whilst the management support him going forward l wouldn't bet money on him staying if people stop watching in the numbers the club need.

Maybe I'm too cynical, in my experience of employee/employer relations everyone expendable. If fact when owners defend a manager, it's a sure sign to either improve or leave before we sack you.

It's actually starting to show a crack, I'm only going by recent comments but the ownership group are stating winning Championships is the only goal and we'll make any changes necessary. The next day later stating their 100% faith in Todd & Lord. Steve has also only congratulated Ben on twitter.

Obviously twitter is limited and context issues etc etc. But l get the impression Todd has full faith in Lord and has calmed the owner group down.

The cynical side of me is noticing behind the scene issues that obviously are not going to be admitted to in public and nor should they. It's the club's responsibility to treat their staff and run the club as they choose.

I expect plenty of statements supporting Lord going forward, how long that continues we will all have to wait, next year will be interesting. I'm not so sure Lord is fully prepared for it and it would be harsh to expect his 3rd year to improve too much.
How do you know what's going behind the scenes, YOU don't. So stop trying to make it sound like you know everything, like the rest of us you know Bugger all. I've read your posts on various threads you have not posted one single POSITIVE thing, I've never read such negatively from one person in my life. Lord is here next season as coach because Todd announced it, now I'm guessing Todd didn't ask your permission. So get over yourself

august04

Finny said:
august04 said:
How long would it take him to recover? My guess is that it would have seen him miss a big chunk of the season, if not the rest of it. It doesn't sound like the type of injury that just requires a week or two of rest.
For me, an 80% Hotham is still better than than the majority of imports in this league. And whilst he did make some pretty big mistakes, most of the time he was able to recover and regain control of the puck.

Hotham made lots of mistakes and giveaways last season too. But (like Weller and Biz) he had the ability to quickly recover and regain control of the puck.
This season people seem to be noticing his mistakes more and mistakenly thinking they cost us goals.
I don't think he was at 80% even, not compared to the player of 14/15. Maybe that was indeed down to injury, I don't know. But we signed Fournier around that time and had Hendrikx and Culligan as cover too (even with the loss of Marsh). I respect your opinion Finny, but there's no glossing over the fact that he's been defensively awful and I believe it impacted us not only defensively but in the transition from the defensive zone, which was a big problem for the second half of the season. He wasn't the only one either it should be said. Under those circumstances, if he had an injury that impacted his performance to such an extent, he should have been allowed to heal, even if it was his season over. No point speculating more now, the season is over but let's leave the excuses.

Kal

I'm pretty sure I remember Hotham being checked into the boards around christmas time (possibly against Coventry) and going straight to the locker room holding his arm, can't remember if he missed the rest of the game or not but if that is where it happened would go some way to explain his drop in form for the second half of the season.

Since this is about next years team not excuses why people didn't perform this season I'd say we keep Hoth as injury free he'll hopefully be back to his point scoring best!

Wannabe2

Re: Next years team

I think lessons will be learnt from this past season, disappointment hopefully will be a thing of the past, our aim is to improve each season so let's hope that happens. Think we should see a number of new faces, which is always good and adds to the off season. Myself I am hoping for a tough skilful team, a team that really will go through a brick wall for each other, and who watches each other's backs, think Panthers will be the team to watch next season, and we need to balance out there physical play and skill element. Now that we are settled into our new home, and have months to analyse going forward we hopefully will be in a good place to improve. I am hoping to watch a team that week in week out entertain me, a team that want to play here, and a team that don't give a rats Arse about the opposition, do I think we will get just that, I certainly am optimistic that we will. We have everything going for us as a club, and certainly have the potential to be the club that good players want to sign for, the past is now just that, and as long as lessons have been learnt we most certainly have a bright future to look forward too.So let the rumours commence, let's be inundated with good news after good news, season 2016/2017 could just be the season we have been looking forward to. So it's now over to you Devils wish you all well, let's now all go forward together and take this great club to the pinnacles it deserves to be.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Have Hope#35 said:
Also surprised that people are continuing to discuss the Lord as Coach like it's an option! TK has put the rumors to bed by confirming that Lord is Coach for as long as he wants it... They clearly must be aware that his heart is truly in it and that he's more than capable of doing the Job, even if he's still learning at the moment! I for one will be glad to see him return in the Coaching role.
Was he specific about him being a player coach?
Apparently his 3-year contract is as a player coach? Could that be changed?

(I'm not necessarily calling for a change, but some have suggested he might be a better coach if he didn't have to play aswell...)

Mooney#16

I like Lordo as a player and a coach so I don't want either to end as some want. But I think in both roles Lordo could benefit from moving down the lines. He is coach, First line wing. Power play screen and does time on the PK. It's to much for anyone.

If Lordo can sign a good enough roster to move down to the third unit. Come of the powerplay, come of the PK so he is energised in games and putting less pressure on his own performance he will be able to spend more time on the bench observing the game and in a fresher mental state to make adjustments then come of the bench on a flyer in a lead by example type of shift.

He needs to stop trying to be superman something Todd has made reference to in the past.

He has coached the top special teams two seasons in a row. I've seen him correctly identify issues and correct them with measures. I think he is quite a pro active coach. Do I think he was a lucky coach this season. Not in a lot of ways. Do I think he's getting better. Yes.

My main criticism is I think he panicked at the offence drying up and established the rushing D man again which I thought was crap early season and didn't get results at season end either but he knew he had an issue and tried something to fix it. It didn't work out for him but at least he was being brave enough to try it but I think he will take something about not trying to use your D as quite such an open offensive weapon.

Lordo is a good coach. Thomson got very lucky his team straightened themselves out down the stretch but I question his input in that turnaround given how he conducted himself towards his squad when they were losing. Would I want Any other EIHL coach other than Lordo. Hell no. He's working a project here. I say let him finish it.

Finny

Having already been slightly controversial on this thread I might as well get my re-signs and release opinions out of the way:

Bowns. Last year I said he was the most valuable netminder in the league. This season he has improved so much that for me he's the best netminder in the league. Give him a 3 year contract and build the team around him for the foreseeable future. RE-SIGN

Will: As good as a backup as you can hope for. Hasn't let us down when he has been called up to play. RE-SIGN.

Richardson: Still one of the most reliable and consistent defencemen in the league. You barely notice him until he makes a mistake, which tends to happen only a couple of times all season. RE-SIGN

Batch: Has gone from being a solid British defenceman to a solid EIHL defenceman. And one of the toughest. Another player I'd look to sign on a multi-year contract. RE-SIGN

Hudson: For the first 4 or 5 months of the season I thought he was our best Dman. Then his form dipped and the team's form dipped. Not sure that was just a coincidence. But his overall contribution for the season is enough for me to be happy to see him return.

Fournier: One of those players who when he gets the puck and starts moving forward you to start to move to the edge of your seat with excitement. Did make quite a few mistakes but certainly improved when we moved to the bigger ice. Assuming we can fit him and Hudson into our line-up then I'd bring him back too.

Hotham: I've already commented on Hotham in this thread that even when injured he was still a huge asset to the team at both ends of the ice. I get the feeling it wouldn't be as big a loss to the fanbase if he went elsewhere this summer as it would have been last, but I'd still bring him back. RE-SIGN

Hendrikx: When he first signed for us I thought he was a revelation, before a disappointing end to the season after being injured. I was happy to see him return, but I don't think he ever returned to that initial form. Seemed to struggle more than most on the bigger ice and I think most teams have told their players to watch out for those big checks. A very popular guy, but one I would look to upgrade on. RELEASE

Martin: The guy is a joy to watch and the best player in the league for me. Wouldn't be surprised to see him want to move to a higher league but I hope we do everything we can to convince him to stay. I don't usually like our best scorer to be captain but when they're also the hardest worker at both ends of the ice I'd love to see him wear the C next year. RE-SIGN

Haddad: Great power forward who chips in with the goals too. Plays on the edge at times but we need someone who does that. RE-SIGN

Culligan: Fitted in brilliantly on his return after so long out with injury. Very selfless player who instantly makes his linemates better. I felt we relied on him too much on D and it affected our offence. I think leaving him out for the Semi was probably Lord's toughest decision and based on how the game went one he regrets. But then hindsight is like that. I'd definitely bring him back though and use him primarily as a forward. RE-SIGN

Lord: Already re-signed as coach anyway but I think he needs to stay as a player too. Leads by example and based on the highlights it was his work in front of the net that helped us turn the game around in Dundee.

Morissette: A couple of weeks ago I thought he works hard and creates turnovers, but does he score enough? Then I noticed he was our 3rd highest goalscorer! For someone we expected to be a lower-line player that's almost invaluable and I'd bring him back again. RE-SIGN

Russell: Always tough to join mid-season but I thought he looked a very talented player. Didn't show the speed I was expecting but his vision was great. I wonder if he is too similar a player to Morissette to have them both back but I'd like to see how well he does with a full pre-season. RE-SIGN

Doucet: Our top goalscorer. The league's top goalscorer. And yet he is not at the top of my list for re-signing. Am I being too harsh on him? I could argue he doesn't create enough for his linemates but then he was signed as a goalscorer so should we worry about that? All the stats point to him being a player we must re-sign and yet I get the feeling if he wasn't I wouldn't be too disappointed. Until he signs for a rival and scores against us every game.

Salters: When he was on his game he was unstoppable. Unfortunately that only happened a couple of times a season. I'm sure injury and illness played a big part in that, and his points production was still pretty impressive. And you know he will score against us next season. But if we're looking to upgrade I think this spot needs to be one. RELEASE

Jones & Piggott. You can't argue with their hardwork or their loyalty to the team. Especially as I doubt either are on a proper wage with the club. If we're sticking with 3 lines then I'd have them both back. If we're looking to go 4 solid lines though you'd have to assume we'd look to replace them with established, points scoring brits. Unless of course the bench size is 22 in which case there would still be space for them both back anyway.

Hervato: Can't fault his hardwork or his physicality. Must be an absolute nightmare to play against as was one of the players whose form didn't dip in those final couple of weeks. But if we are looking to upgrade the team do we need more points from him?
As I mentioned above, if we're only going with 3 lines then I'd be happy to bring him back as a spare forward who can also make up a hard hitting 4th line with Piggott and Jones. But I'm not sure about his return if it would be on one of the top 3 lines.

Kurka: If I was writing this a month ago the decision would be a definite no. For someone who was effectively signed as our star forward he production for most of the season was poor. Only occasionally did he show signs of brilliance. Until he was put on Martin's line and then he looked a different player, which makes this decision now a bit tougher.
I think it depends on value for money. If the rumours were true and he was our big superstar on top wages then I think we need to look elsewhere.

So I think that's definitely re-sign 11 players. A couple more I'd like to see return (but perhaps not all of them combined) which leaves us space for at least 4 new imports. Possibly more.

DevilDom

Ok, I'd like to see us have 4 lines next year with at least 1 line a high energy checking line. Of the current players with the exception of 1 or 2 players I wouldn't be disappointed if we re-signed anyone, however overall my view is:

Bowns - Re-sign (Duh!) - on a par with the best import netties in the league
Will - Re-sign - best backup in the league and probably worthy of more ice-time
Hotham - Would take 1 of him or Hudson. Hotham probably shades it despite disappointing 2nd half of the season.
Hudson - Would take 1 of him or Hotham. Hotham probably shades it although wouldn't be disappointed if he re-signed.
Fournier - Re-sign - love his transition play and a player that excites although needs to play alongside a stay at home D man.
Hendrix - Maybe re-sign - I have the feeling that if we re-signed him and made him C he would do that job perfectly.
Richardson - Re-sign - best Brit D man in the league.
Batch - Re-sign but please play as a D man! As tough as they come and improved defensively again.
Martin - Re-sign - best player in the league when fully fit.
Morrissette - Do love Mo but think we can get an upgrade
Lord - Re-sign but play on 3rd or 4th line to give more time on bench
Salters - Release - for whatever reason (injuries) he has been the most disappointing import this year.
Doucet - release - brilliant goalscorer when he shows up but not often enough for me despite Lord doing almost everything he can changing the lines to accommodate him.
Kurka - Personally would like to keep him playing on our top line alongside Martin on the large ice pads.
Hervato - keep and play on 3rd or 4th line alongside at least one big power forward
Haddad - release - I find him slow on the breakout and incredibly frustrating to watch as he holds onto the puck way too long.
Culligan - keep - I'd like to see him played as a forward only with steady linemates instead of constantly being chopped and changed.
Russell - Keep excellent defensively and a very good passer.
Jones & Piggott - if possible I'd like to keep both of them. They have both shown when given the time and a line with 2 other imports they can play at this level. Jones excellent on the PK too.

Mooney#16

My problem with rating players is put them on a line with chemistry and they look awesome. On a line that doesn't work they look selfish, slow, disjointed you name it but it's not to say they are bad players. I mean Hendo and Marshy are good D men but together they are an absolute sieve of a pairing. It's bizarre.

Lordo signed all the tools to be an offensive juggernaut but the lines never clicked seemingly at any point last season. When talking about next season it's simply again about constructing lines that will work. If players from this year fit roles and line mates retain them but seeing as this years lines never got going you have to out of necessity release some to sign new.

A player like Doucet though who scored 35 on miss firing lines though I think you have to retain. That natural eye for goal is a rare thing and I would much rather have that sniper especially running four lines and if he clicks with a line there is still no reason he can't hit 50.