• No

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I'ts ok I guess

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • I hate it!

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Koop11

I think it’s important to remember that these are just artists impressions and have been released mainly I would suggest for political reasons, i.e. for the current councillors to announce a good news story before the local elections. I think this explains why the drawings released are short of a few basics. The first impression when you look at the drawings is exciting and that’s the quick with the local council is looking for. When you look at it in more detail, there are clearly errors and concerns that current rink users can point out.

As others have pointed suggested, this is an opportunity for us/SORAC to highlight again the basic errors with the BBT and ensure that they are fully aware of the matters that need addressing. I’m sure SORAC are on the case though and hopefully there will be more detailed blueprints of the design released in due course that will put our minds to rest with regard in particular to the sightlines.

Re: Re: new ice rink design

Got to agree that the first rows need to be significantly higher to ensure good sight lines. I honestly think that this mock up has been posted all too quickly as there are so many elementary mistakes. As there are no official internal plans released to the public as yet, I think the mock up was posted as a means to pacify us and won't reflect what we actually get ( at least I hope so) Still, with almost a further year's delay, we have every opportunity to get it right I suppose
I'd assume that they are an artist's impression from a first draft of a layout, and you would hope that it is an attempt to gain the sort of comments garnered here.

If we are bring picky, where are the corporate boxes? The sin bins and timekeeper boxes?

Personally I think the first row should be nearer the ice, if not actually close enough to bang the plexi. You would then hope the seating would be steeply tiered, much like the NIC. Is there a bad seat in there?

I just hope that SORAC are compiling all the comments, editing for sanity, giving a bit of priority and handing them over.

Also, a trip to the tent for the designer would help. Show them the mistakes.[/quote]

The designer has visited the tent, was involved with SWALEC stadium, was involved with the design of the doomed ice rink project at Sophia Gardens and worked for the company that designed the WNIR

osh

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Got to agree that the first rows need to be significantly higher to ensure good sight lines. I honestly think that this mock up has been posted all too quickly as there are so many elementary mistakes. As there are no official internal plans released to the public as yet, I think the mock up was posted as a means to pacify us and won't reflect what we actually get ( at least I hope so) Still, with almost a further year's delay, we have every opportunity to get it right I suppose
I'd assume that they are an artist's impression from a first draft of a layout, and you would hope that it is an attempt to gain the sort of comments garnered here.

If we are bring picky, where are the corporate boxes? The sin bins and timekeeper boxes?

Personally I think the first row should be nearer the ice, if not actually close enough to bang the plexi. You would then hope the seating would be steeply tiered, much like the NIC. Is there a bad seat in there?

I just hope that SORAC are compiling all the comments, editing for sanity, giving a bit of priority and handing them over.

Also, a trip to the tent for the designer would help. Show them the mistakes.

The designer has visited the tent, was involved with SWALEC stadium, was involved with the design of the doomed ice rink project at Sophia Gardens and worked for the company that designed the WNIR[/quote]

Oh dear!

Wannabe2

osh said:
jodysstillagirlsname said:

Also, a trip to the tent for the designer would help. Show them the mistakes.

The designer has visited the tent, was involved with SWALEC stadium, was involved with the design of the doomed ice rink project at Sophia Gardens and worked for the company that designed the WNIR

Oh dear![/quote]
Thats not a very helpful answer Osh.

Several have tried to reassure those of us who have queries, that the internal 'picture' is merely an artist's impression.But a graphic artist doesn't start with a blank sheet. It may well be ....that even such a professional would need 'basic' information re. capacity, seating layout etc.
The fact that there are no team benches & sin bins does not concern me at all. They will be there....and we know where they'll be.......we all know that!
My original point re. the bottom row of seating starting at a ridiculously low level, I think, is important. I've lost count of the number of youngsters (and adults) over the last 6 years, with seats in front of my back row one who have come to 'stand' alongside me because they are frustrated at not being able to view large areas of the ice in front of them.
I say again, let's all learn from the BBT experience. For ordinary Devils fans......we are not going to 'design', or 'build'....our input about the 'basics' (that we have lived without for 6 years) needs emphasising loud and clear now.

TheStub

schulersagoodun said:
Several have tried to reassure those of us who have queries, that the internal 'picture' is merely an artist's impression.But a graphic artist doesn't start with a blank sheet. It may well be ....that even such a professional would need 'basic' information re. capacity, seating layout etc.
The fact that there are no team benches & sin bins does not concern me at all. They will be there....and we know where they'll be.......we all know that!
My original point re. the bottom row of seating starting at a ridiculously low level, I think, is important. I've lost count of the number of youngsters (and adults) over the last 6 years, with seats in front of my back row one who have come to 'stand' alongside me because they are frustrated at not being able to view large areas of the ice in front of them.
I say again, let's all learn from the BBT experience. For ordinary Devils fans......we are not going to 'design', or 'build'....our input about the 'basics' (that we have lived without for 6 years) needs emphasising loud and clear now.
Most ice arenas around the world start at the plexi, with seats starting more or less ice level. That isn't a problem, and gives you a great view - similar to standing at the current rink.

What I'm more concerned about it the rake of the seats. The problem in the tent (aside from the steps) is the seating is too shallow. You spend too much time looking through the head of the person in front.

It isn't helped by the height of the seating. If it were the same angle, but starting at around I've level you would have much better views - you would be looking more directly ahead rather than down at the ice.

I think the raised seating most "rinks" seem to have actually damage the sight lines. It is usually only done to make use of the space under the seating.

TheStub said:
schulersagoodun said:
Most ice arenas around the world start at the plexi, with seats starting more or less ice level. That isn't a problem, and gives you a great view - similar to standing at the current rink......
Unless I'm very much mistaken.... I don't think that any more than a very small minority of spectatators would think sitting at ice level to watch an ice hockey matchwould offer you.... a "great view".

There are always a fair number of fans in Nottingham and Sheffield who decide to sit in the front rows of their arenas. They always seem to be the first seats to fill up in the away block as well.

Earnie

As s result of winning a ticket for the Nottingham finals one year I finished off at the front row by side of the goal with nose in the plexi and was not too pleased. However in the end it was a great spot and I enjoyed it!

Finny

osh said:
Koop11 said:
What concerns you about this designer Osh?

Quite a few things, but let's see what they come up with this time.
I too was quite surprised that you seemed concerned with the details of the designer. Can you elaborate as to why?

It seems they have experience with companies who design ice rinks, and though the WNIR wasn't perfect it was a lot better than the BBT.

It also seems that they have gone to the BBT to look at what is wrong with it so that similar mistakes aren't made again. I'm delighted to hear this.

And as someone who likes the new Swalec Stadium, I'm pretty pleased with their previous.

It sounded quite optomistic until you commented that you were worried.

osh

No, I won't elaborate why, just my own personal view.

i'm sure my views won't - and shouldn't - stop you being and optimist. As I have already stated, lets see what the 'official' plans look like when made public.

rolf

i want to be excited and enthusiastic but my worries on this is that it all looks lovely, but a few questions:-

why is there a leaning type support against the plexi, is this for folks to stand against ?

would that corrupt the view of the first 2 - 3 rows, judging by the impression it may well so do?

is the main entrance and exit route around the plexi, which could become a serious bottleneck if plexi-riders are in place as per question 1 or even if they are not?

if this is what we have been waiting for, for all of this time then i am a bit meh about it and worried too. granted this is an impression, but it must have some grounds in reality and the tent we got now was designed by "expert" scandinavian ice-rink erectors,so the pros don't always hit the target.....more importantly for a fat lad like me, where's the dogs, fries and bars?? c'mon even if we are a pants team, if the ale and grub is good it's still a night out :mrgreen:

still that all said, i will likely be there week in week out just like i am at our loathesome tent.

rolf

well if that is the case then that image is as useful as a topless one of samantha fox..............as it shows no access from above, just from below ho hum