New Assistant Coach

moggy#9

Clearly this was a position that needed to be filled and we're unlikely to recruit someone with massive experience to work with a first year coach. I'm still worried about having the experience to respond in-game to teams that have a plan to neutralise us, but we have to give things time to see how they pan out. I'm sure just being able to sort the load will help Dupont massively.

Diablo3

Bloody hell, what a load of spin! If truth be told, Horn arrived in Cardiff 5 week ago, went for a stroll up in the Gantry, got lost and it’s taken an extensive search party 5 weeks to track him down! That’ll teach him for wandering up there and going through door number 4 !!!!!
Rookie mistake, everyone knows its a labyrinth up there. Could have been lost for years.

Gazr76

If he is super cheap then no problem eh. If not then I don't really get it. Teams don't need an assistant coach at Elite league level. With Franny moving into the hockey director role, why not give the assistant coach role to one of the players? If Brodie Reid was a player coach I'd understand it. Surely it's best to keep the salary to bring in another guy later on down the stretch if required.

The_Puck

If he is super cheap then no problem eh. If not then I don't really get it. Teams don't need an assistant coach at Elite league level. With Franny moving into the hockey director role, why not give the assistant coach role to one of the players? If Brodie Reid was a player coach I'd understand it. Surely it's best to keep the salary to bring in another guy later on down the stretch if required.
I think a few teams have full time assistant coaches in the league. And what exactly do we have to lose from this? I'm sure he will be quite cheap. And i don't think a player would want to spend most their evenings analysing videos for the coach. Just like teams moving towards 2 starting goalies, teams will want more support behind the bench.

BostonBart22

Gripe from flames game last week, has dupont heard of time outs ? B4 kozun was pulled , surely a time out may have helped the situation with a few different tactics and gave the players a breather for 30 secs .don't think we've had a timeout this season.

voth26

I get the team haven't had the best of starts losing the last two games and the performance s haven't been there, but we're talking about 2 games, you'd swear the world had ended plus the club are trying to support Dupont by bringing another coach how's about we give them some credit for that, instead of criticizing all the time just a thought

E.D.S.

But people are allowed to comment. No one’s claiming the ”world has ended”. Get some perspective, it’s a forum! :rolleyes:
Alternatively, let’s not allow people to post on the team or performances until after Christmas and let’s see how much fun this forum is between now and then.

Devil94

I think it's wrong to say that there is no need for an assistant coach at elite league level. I'm not sure what the level has to do with it, it's still a roster of 20 pro players, with 2-3 games to prepare for every week. That's too much for one coach, no matter the level.
And it's less to do with being on the bench on match nights, it's more the preparation in the week, training sessions, cutting video etc where an assistant is most valuable.

kingmo19.1

Assistant coach is an important role if the club (and the league as a whole) are trying to be more professional. It’s hugely beneficial to have another perspective and a confidant that you can discuss tactics and approach and confirm opinion. It’s almost impossible for a single coach to see everything throughout a season.

lloyd_jeff

Ok so we’ve lost 2 games in one weekend & gained an Assistant Coach, so this is where my thoughts are. Dupont has never coached at this level, so there will be mistakes, losses, it’s an inevitable consequence. From the very limited knowledge of the new assistant coach, my thinking is having an equally inexperienced person is a bit blah, he’s here, would anyone notice if he wasn’t. I’ll be both surprised and delighted if I’m wrong. My fear is having two stressed coaches with little to no way of turning a game around thanks to their lack of expertise.

Diablo3

Ok so we’ve lost 2 games in one weekend & gained an Assistant Coach, so this is where my thoughts are. Dupont has never coached at this level, so there will be mistakes, losses, it’s an inevitable consequence. From the very limited knowledge of the new assistant coach, my thinking is having an equally inexperienced person is a bit blah, he’s here, would anyone notice if he wasn’t. I’ll be both surprised and delighted if I’m wrong. My fear is having two stressed coaches with little to no way of turning a game around thanks to their lack of expertise.
From everything I've seen so far, it looks like duPont is at the beginning of a multi year project to get the Devils where he wants them. A big, fast team who keep the puck and spend their time in the o zone inflicting pain on the opposition. I'm going to enjoy the ride.

voth26

But people are allowed to comment. No one’s claiming the ”world has ended”. Get some perspective, it’s a forum! :rolleyes:
Alternatively, let’s not allow people to post on the team or performances until after Christmas and let’s see how much fun this forum is between now and then.
Firstly I know it's a forum I worked that out for myself thanks, secondly I never mentioned not allowing people to comment, my point being which by the looks of it went over your head is to put things into perspective. We have a new coach who the club have identified as possibly needing some support to help get the team performing as we know they can.

E.D.S.

No need to be so feisty. It wasn’t aimed at you directly but “you’d swear the world had ended” is the statement that is lacking perspective here. A massive exaggeration.

People writing that they have concerns about the team or a player on that teams ‘unofficial’ forum is perfectly natural and apt as is you coming on and inferring people ‘calm down’ is natural. No perspective required here. “World ended” :oops: not at all. Fans enjoying a debate and an exchange, absolutely.

That’s perspective.

Last edited:

voth26

No need to be so feisty. It wasn’t aimed at you directly but “you’d swear the world had ended” is the statement that is lacking perspective here. A massive exaggeration.

People writing that they have concerns about the team or a player on that teams ‘unofficial’ forum is perfectly natural and apt as is you coming on and inferring people ‘calm down’ is natural. No perspective required here. “World ended” :oops: not at all. Fans enjoying a debate and an exchange, absolutely.

That’s perspective.
I'm happy to apologize as it felt like it was aimed at me directly, I think we would both agree we like a debate lol.