New Arena

voth26

I agree with the point ocko made, this group of guys were put together very quickly and seem to have a very genuine bond and commitment to each other and to Lordo,Franny and Todd, as proved by the season so far. Can you imagine how much better it could be if that's at all possible if they have the whole off season to get sorted???. Personally i hope all the guys are signed early and return next season including a certain biznasty

Not saying for one minute that I prefer G type of hockey to what we have now, just think it's unfair to criticise his recruitment not knowing the constraints he was under by the two clowns and just pointing out he has done ok since leaving us

James

Administrator
By 2 clowns you mean Bob, Burge and Ragan? He's certainly done better this year but with apparently the largest budget in the league it's not too surprising.

James said:
By 2 clowns you mean Bob, Burge and Ragan? He's certainly done better this year but with apparently the largest budget in the league it's not too surprising.
No I meant Pope and Ragan, Sheffield have nearly always had the biggest budget but haven't always been top by Xmas. the change may have suited us and them but too many other things have changed for us to make it better not just the coach, we changed coach twice last season and it didn't make a scrap of difference

Regardless of budget, you still need to have the people skills to make a team of a collection of players. The team spirit is really strong this year; support from Kelman will have helped but the majority of the credit must go to Lord for that.

Also, when was the last time we won a Boxing Day fixture?

Bazza

BBW said:
Regardless of budget, you still need to have the people skills to make a team of a collection of players. The team spirit is really strong this year; support from Kelman will have helped but the majority of the credit must go to Lord for that.

Also, when was the last time we won a Boxing Day fixture?
Probably on Boxing Day!

DevilDom

Wannabe2 said:
If we don't win the League, I would like to see G win it.
Wow! That is a step too far.

Respect G for what he did for us under difficult circumstances but he is now a Steeler and I don't want them to win anything ever.

ASHIPP

The top 5 positions are so close the battle for the league will be really exciting. Fitness is a key factor in consistency but the team that gets the prize will be the one that has the character, the guts, the work ethic. Devils are in the mix.

Don't forget G inherited most of his players, and I'm guessing he will do his usual trick of failing in the second half of the season with a desasterose loss of momentum!

As has been said he's now a "Dirty stinking Steeler" :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle :Banana :pickle

James

Administrator
DevilDom said:
Wannabe2 said:
Wow! That is a step too far.

Respect G for what he did for us under difficult circumstances but he is now a Steeler and I don't want them to win anything ever.
Seconded. He's a good bloke who put up with a lot of crap at the Devils but now he's just a Steeler.

Ocko

Wannabe2 said:
Never in a million years. If we don't win it, if prefer anyone else other than the Steelers. Our rivalry with them may not be what it used to be but I can remember the days of near hatred for that team. I couldn't imagine anything worse than a smug house of tin and the fat estate agent.

jimmy snels

Shouldn't be mean to coventry players and want the steelers too win league... don't tell me next marsh was very nasty boarding Daryll Lloyd because he's such a nice chap!? OMG I've never read such tripe.

Finny

G was able to stick two fingers up at Ragan, Pope and everyone else who claimed he wasn't good enough when he turned the Steelers around and won the Playoffs with them last season.

Now he has done that, I hope he never wins another trophy whilst at the Steelers.

Sheincar

Finny said:
G was able to stick two fingers up at Ragan, Pope and everyone else who claimed he wasn't good enough when he turned the Steelers around and won the Playoffs with them last season.

Now he has done that, I hope he never wins another trophy whilst at the Steelers.
Agreed. Don't forget the imbalance of games played within our conference. We have played more in conference games than Sheffield & I fully expect them to start dropping down the league as the imbalance is ironed out.

Koop11

Have to agree with the majority. G was a servant to the Devils, coaching us during very difficult years but it was time for a change (albeit his departure poorly managed). Now he is coaching for one of biggest rivals and cannot bring myself to say I want them to win anything just because some old faces are there. I don’t like Sheffield. I never have.

If we cannot win the league this year, I would prefer to see Braehead lift the trophy. I appreciate they are a dirty team but a new name on the league trophy is good for the league and will be a change from the ‘big 3’.

Anyway, what has this all got to do with the capacity of our new rink…..?

Ocko

Koop11 said:
Anyway, what has this all got to do with the capacity of our new rink…..?
Good point!

Financially, the 3,100 is fine. No ice rental costs means we are in the region of a team with 5,000 capacity. So that is actually over what the Steelers average is and considerably more than Braehead.

However, the new wow factor of a new arena, coupled with a feel good factor about the club and entertaining players means that finding another 1,000 fans IMO will be too easy. We will be turning people away for sure. Ideally 3,500-4,000 would be perfect for us at the moment as that also puts us on a par with Braehead (3,500).

I'll just remind people that plans are made for 5-10 yr advancement. Looking also at "the bigger picture" that is not available to general public.

TK is a massive talent for UK hockey, not just the Cardiff Devils, the winds of change seen in Cardiff may well spread to changes within the league structure. Ambitious plans.

The current designed rink is a mistake, some ears didn't listen to the possibilities or look at the future. They could not see past 2015.

Sometimes it's better to buy a 3 bed house if you plan to have children before you get knocked up.

Why is the new rink a mistake? A mistake by who?

Do you mean the developer/financiers?

Tenants not contributing to development costs have little say I'm afraid.